Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corollas Vs. Celica

by twinky64, July 24, 2006 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

See every reply in these pages:

How are celicas in reliablilty, drive train, performance, modability, etc. Compared to the corolla?

• 1,424 posts
How are celicas in reliablilty, drive train, performance, modability, etc. Compared to the corolla?

Are you looking for a Celica Twinky?

It depends on the generation of Celica you are talking about. Generation to generation they are vastly different cars. Some are RWD with I4 and V6 engines, some are FWD with small I4 engines, some are AWD with various engines. In general Celicas are better performers than Corollas, especially the GT-s, SUPRA or top level trims. They typically have better suspensions, bigger brakes, larger wheels and tires. Lower level trims are a lot like a Corolla in some generations, take the last Celica for instance, it was highly similar to the Corolla in many ways. Some generations of Celicas are more modible than others. The ones that are highly similar to the Corollas don't have as many mods available, especially powertrain mods. As for reliability, it's good but not Corolla good. It isn't necessarly that the Celica is a more unreliable car. What happens is that Celicas are typically driven harder than Corollas, and they tend to reflect this fact when you are buying one used.

Hope this helps

Depends on the trim of Celica - GT or GT-S? Reliability is relative to the car - in many ways the two share similar powertrains, but the Celica will probably be "driven" harder than the Corolla.

Celica has a little better performance - engine for engine - compared to the Corolla (1ZZ-FED vs 1ZZ-FE). Doesn't have to meet the same target for noise, fuel economy, and demographic that the Corolla was aimed at. Early 7th gen Celica GT-S models were plagued with VVTL-i pin issues and bent valves from mis-shifts. I've known several people that have gone through more than one engine with in the first year of ownership (more driver fault than build quality - but the design doesn't help either).

Biggest difference would be the number of available aftermarket support. Celicas are in a much better position than the Corolla - but not as good as they used to be. Coupled with poor sales, higher insurance rates, and overall functionality - killed off the Celica.

Max

Dang, was I sad to see the Celica go. I owned a 74, an 81, and an 87. The 87 is still running, the 81 was killed by a falling building, and the 74...who knows? All three were tremendous fun, with bulletproof reliablitiy. The 22R in the 87 was the best engine I've ever had. My 97 Corolla was not nearly as trouble-free as those little Celicas, but the 03 is doing quite well.

Bikeman982

I would think the Corolla had better reliability. Since it is still a Toyota then it can't be too bad. Did you find one you want to buy??

In fact, in my opinion, celicas are pretty ugly, especially the current generation. They kinda look like a cacoroach. It reminds me of an insect beetle.

I drove my friend's 04 celica gt and it was like driving my car, 98 corolla. My car is lighter and kinda compensates for a less powerful engine. When I was in the driver's seat of the celica, I could not see the hood and that annoyed me. The interior overall looks nice, you lay back too much, not enough upright position.

One thing I dislike about the corolla is that you cannot do much to it in terms of increasing horsepower. What you have is what you have. I like the perk of high fuel economy but bikeman is getting the same fuel economy as a celica and the celica has more power. I like my corolla, never had any real problems with it except normal wear and tear things. Everything that people are talking about their corolla dying is kinda scaring me because I haven't had any problems mechanically except the transmission but my parents gave it to me that way. I have 197k miles and sometimes getting 38mpg. I have done light mods to it like intake, cd/mp3 player, better speakers (200watt), changed the carpet door panel trim to black leather, and a centrifugal e-super (I know you all can laugh at me now, but I think it works). I'm just getting tired of 0-60 in 8.5 days. I've been in my mom's 90' lexus ls 400, my dad's 02 330i, my friends 400hp 00' prelude, now I kinda want more hp AND A SWAY BAR IN THE REAR.

The hp in the car for one person is alright but MAN when 2 ppl or even 3ppl are in the car, damn, NOOOOOOOOOOO power!!!!

So I guess I can get a newer more current corolla, but they are too bulbous, bubbly, big, tall, and eggy. The tires look too small for the car like its misproportioned. The 3 biggest things about the current corolla I don't like, shape, turning radius is larger, and the ride height. Wow, I drove an 03 corolla S and wow just wow, I felt like I was sitting almost as high as a 2000 pickup truck, and the suspension did not feel sport tuned at all, it felt too mushy and I couldn't feel the road as much as my 98 corolla can. So my other alternative is getting a good gas mileage vehicle that is more modable, toyota, and more hp.

• 1,424 posts

I found myself in a similar situation to yours several years ago. I was on my 3rd car, and was dissatisfied with it in many ways. My beloved convertible was a fun to drive car with every feature known to man, it looked flashy and it helped me to live a carefree lifestyle. The Lincoln I drove was good for taking people places in style and comfort, it was nicer than any other car parked at my Highschool, including the teacher's cars, and man could it git. The 4.6L 290 HP 32V V8 coupled with four wheel disc ABS and an electronically adjustable suspension and steering made for one sweet car. The Contour wasn't any of the things the Lincoln or the Chrysler was. It didn't have many of the features the other cars had, it didn't look flashy, etc. I disliked it the entire time I owned it. When I went to replace it I was faced with a decision. I had driven many other cars, with many different characteristics. I knew I didn't like the Contour but I had to decide with what I could replace it with. I sat down and wrote what I wanted out of a car. I then looked at the list a week later and started crossing off things. A week's time was all it took for me to get rid of all the things I thought I wanted from a car that I really didn't want. This lead me to a much shorter list that the Corolla more than satisfied.

Maybe you should try something similar. I'll give you an example of what I did.

Must haves:

-2 doors

-Alloy Wheels 15" or greater

-Foglights

-Sunroof

-Keyless Entry

-Crusie

-6 Disc changer and Ipod control

-Power windows/locks/mirrors

-Power driver's seat

-Heated mirrors and rear defroster

-9.0 cubic foot or larger cargo space

-Little chrome on exterior

-ABS

-Remote truck release

-Folding rear seats

-Factory Anti-Theft

Nice to haves:

-Leather seats/wheel/shifter

-Automatic transmission

-Self dimming mirror

-Compass

-Outside temp gauge

-Automatic headlamps

-Key as remote

-Pollen filter

and there were others. After a week I eliminated some of the requirements because I felt them unnecessary. I had only owned one two door car, and I liked but not because it had two doors. I also ditched the heated mirrors and power driver's seat because while my other cars had them, they weren't things I actually used. Only one of my other cars had foglights and they always were burnt out, so I knocked that off the list. Two of my other cars had leather interiors which I didn't really care one way or the other on. There were of course more things I eliminted off the list.

This basically lead me to choose between 5 or 6 cars and then I started narrowing from there. At long last it was between the Civic Coupe EX and the Corolla LE. The Civic had one main advantage, the EX had all the features I was after as standard features and I wouldn't have a hard time getting the Civic I wanted. However, it was more expensive than a Corolla with the same features, it cost more to insure and the nearest Honda dealer was 45 miled from home and 50 miles from school. In the end the Corolla won out because of cost, and dealer proximity.

Decide what you really want out of a car, not only now, but into the future a couple of years. Then decide what will fit those needs and then pick what makes most sense for you. It may not be your Corolla, who knows what it will be. Just remember that making a decision about your car based on the now often leads you into a situation where you are stuck with a car that doesn't fit your needs.

Had I done that when I bought my Corolla I would have bought a Celica GT-S or a Tiburon GT, which would have definately been better looking and faster cars. But the cars would have been dissappointing when it came time to return to school and I couldn't haul my stuff or my friends around.

Bikeman982

I purchased my Corolla based on appearance and not performance. I just like the way it looks and also the way it feels when I drive it. I don't expect great performance, just better gas mileage than my old minivan. I get that and more, so I am satisfied.

That makes alot of sense contour

I too think about what I NEED in a car, however, not to the degree you do. I want a car with utility, handling, power, cargo, definitely compact, a ufcking rear sway bar damnit, and good gas mileage. I know power and gas mileage do not go hand in hand but I want something with good gas mileage that I can boost. I choose to boost a car with high mileage because whatever increase in hp you get, it deducts from the already high fuel economy. Btw, do the current generation of corollas have rear folding seats? What I love about my corolla is that I can fit things that I would never dream that it would fit. I put a full corner desk in there, a twin bed matress. And every time, I am impressed and suprised.

My dislikes are power, no rear sway bar, cannot increase hp because there are no kits that successfully do so, and no rear discs.

By the sound of things, the XRS would be pretty cool to have but, gas mileage is horrible. I guess I'm stuck with the 03-04 corolla because TRD has a supercharger kit for it that bumps the hp to the XRS corolla; and I would think that with that supercharger, I could outaccellerate an XRS. The TRD sc kit doesn't change your fuel pump nor your fuel injectors, so the same fuel rate is the same. Just compating more air. hmmmmm...perhaps I'll wait to see what the 2008 corolla looks like and hopefully I'll like the looks of that for another 5 years until toyota changes their looks. If it looks like the camry, thats good because I think the 2007 camry looks nice. If it looks like the Yaris, UFCK THAT then because the yaris looks like a pokemon!

I was in a similar setup with my Corolla - nothing wrong wanting a little bit more power, disc all around would be nice (at least a heck of a lot easier to change), decent aftermarket support, reliability, safety, decent gas mileage. In the end - it was cheaper to get another car to get those features.

Also S/C Corollas due use more gas - the fuel system stays the same, but the S/C adds a 5th injector for A/F enrichment, and runs your existing injectors longer. But stay off the gas and mileage is not too bad - maybe a 10% hit. Stay on it and I've heard that some guys get mileage in the teens with the S/C.

Some people have tried fitting the TRD supercharger into 8th gen Corollas - but I have yet seen or heard of one that is working. There was a guy on another forum that was going to prototype the TRD S/C fitment for the 8th gen Corollas (already pretty far into a turbo kit, already setup rear-disc kit for 8th gen Corollas). But like most things in life - he got screwed big time - but should be up and running very soon (if he hasn't laready done so). He sometimes posts here - goes by Dr. Tweak. Right now he is looking for someone to part with their car to use a test mule for a turbokit. But will not be free - the guy needs to eat too - I think he was asking for about $5K for everything (pretty cheap really).

Bikeman982

I really love the rear folding seats. I can fit my hockey sticks and my gear in the car without them sticking out the trunk or the window.

Max

My wish is for the new Corolla, which has been delayed so as to be released as an 09, to be a sort of Lexus IS jr. Camry = ES, Avalon= GS. We can dream, no? I would hope they are taking the extra year to do something surprising after six years of the 9th gen.

fish, dr tweak is VERY active on 6gc.net. he does alot of 6th gen celica swaps at pheonix performance and does alot of wireharnesses for peoples swaps.

• 1,424 posts

Twinky,

I didn't have to think about what I need in a car that much but I did to keep me from making mistakes. I suggest you think hard as well. There isn't anything quite like the feeling of disliking the car you have when you could have had what you wanted had you known what it was you wanted. I wanted to be decisive this time and get something I would like the entire time I owned it because it was exactly what I wanted. That meant custom ordering a 19K Corolla. It took 3.5 or 4 months, but it got me exactly what I wanted, almost. I ordered the car with the 6 spoke alloys and it came with 5 spoke alloys. Well, I was so set on the exact car I ordered and am so picky when it comes to cars that I wouldn't take it as it was. The dealer had to swap one of their Corollas for another one from another dealer 60 miles away that had the wheels I wanted so they could swap the wheels with the wheels on mine and get me to take the car.

Anyhow, the 9th generation Corolla has a folding rear seat as a standard feature and the trunk is larger than the 8th generation. However, the XRS doesn't have a folding rear seat because it compromised the rigidity of the car too much and caused suspension troubles. Another car I can suggest for you that has decent cargo space, good power, decent fuel economy and is a good handler is the VW GTi. It isn't cheap to maintain, it is kind of hard to find one compared to the Corolla and it doesn't have Corolla like reliability but it is a more fun to drive and faster car with good cargo space and a certain coolness factor.

Bikeman982

fish, dr tweak is VERY active on 6gc.net. he does alot of 6th gen celica swaps at pheonix performance and does alot of wireharnesses for peoples swaps.
Does he do any 7th generation Corollas??

Does he do any 7th generation Corollas??

i dont know, hop on 6gc.net and PM him.

Good to know that he is busy - thanks for the head's up. I'll take a peek and see what he is up to.

Bikeman982

i dont know, hop on 6gc.net and PM him.
The website looks like it is just Celicas.

The website looks like it is just Celicas.
the 94+ celica ST shares the corolla DX drivetrain, the celica and corolla also share alot of suspension, brakes, ect. im over there, theres a couple other corolla people too.

Bikeman982

the 94+ celica ST shares the corolla DX drivetrain, the celica and corolla also share alot of suspension, brakes, ect. im over there, theres a couple other corolla people too.
Do they have the same engines?

Do they have the same engines?
the ST has the 7afe, yes.

Bikeman982

There is no 4A-FE in the Celicas??

• 1,424 posts
So I guess I can get a newer more current corolla, but they are too bulbous, bubbly, big, tall, and eggy. The tires look too small for the car like its misproportioned. The 3 biggest things about the current corolla I don't like, shape, turning radius is larger, and the ride height. Wow, I drove an 03 corolla S and wow just wow, I felt like I was sitting almost as high as a 2000 pickup truck, and the suspension did not feel sport tuned at all, it felt too mushy and I couldn't feel the road as much as my 98 corolla can. So my other alternative is getting a good gas mileage vehicle that is more modable, toyota, and more hp.

Twinky,

I've driven lots of different types of cars and I know one thing: Any given car has a mission in life, you can only measure it against what it's mission is, and nothing else.

A Corolla isn't meant to be a sports or sporty car. It isn't meant to be fast, it isn't meant to be connected to the road, it isn't meant to be alot of the things you seem to want out of a car. Car and Driver said it best, a Corolla is an excellent transportation appliance. Its mission in life is to be an inexpensive to own and operate car with excellent reliability. It does that perfectly.

Is that what I want out of a car, is my ultimate dream car a transportation appliance? No it isn't. My dream car is a lightweight sports-like car with a convertible top and a totally connected driving experience. But that isn't what is best for me now. It isn't what I need to haul my stuff, it isn't good for taking my friends out on a Friday night. It won't let me give freshman who don't have cars rides home on weekends.

If you want a car with the connectedness and all that, try a Mazda3s. I've been driving one of those for the better part of a year and it is a pseudo-sports car. It has a sexier look than the Corolla, bigger wheels (17"), ground effects, the euro tails, etc. The interior is hot. The handling, braking, steering are all tight and sports car like. The acceleration is good on mine but won't be as good on one you can buy. I have the non Cali version, you get saddled with all that emissions crap and a lower performing engine, but it's still faster than a Corolla. It comes in a 5 door hatch and a 4 door sedan. Trunk space is tighter than the 9th generation Corolla in the sedan but bigger than the 8th generation. It comes with standard folding seats and stabilizer bars front and rear, 4 wheel disc brakes are also standard and there is the optional automatic transmission called the Sport AT that is a blast to drive. It's just like a stick but it downshifts for you when you stop and you don't have a clutch.

not the 6th gen, i think maybe 4th or 5th gen had a 4A of some kind.

Bikeman982

not the 6th gen, i think maybe 4th or 5th gen had a 4A of some kind.

I put a post on his website and maybe he will respond to it.

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas