Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Yaris

by kathyg, March 22, 2006 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

See every reply in these pages:

In my irrelevant opinion, it's too small. I'd feel like an insect on the road, driving this thing. Also, I don't like the front end. A bit too nubbly for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is, it's a nice ride.... I'm actually surprised by some of the extras that are available for such a low end car. The fact that the consoles are different for the liftback and sedans is a bit interesting...

In my irrelevant opinion, it's too small. I'd feel like an insect on the road, driving this thing. Also, I don't like the front end. A bit too nubbly for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is, it's a nice ride.... I'm actually surprised by some of the extras that are available for such a low end car. The fact that the consoles are different for the liftback and sedans is a bit interesting...

The reason you would feel so small is because of the oversized American SUV. Other cars in the US have been sold before that are close to the same size. It's nothing new and the Yaris is only a revised and updated version of the failed Echo.

In other parts of the world, a car this size is totally normal and many of them are offered with a diesel engine that gets even better fuel economy.

With gas prices on the rise, yet again, I think the Yaris is going to be a really big hit. I thought the Echo was a fugly little thing and I've acually been in a rental. I sure hope Toyota updated the seats in the yaris cause the Echo seats were damnned unconfertable. Anything over a short trip hurt my back.

I'm going to give the Yaris a look, but I'm starting to doubt that the hatch will fit my needs due to it being so stripped down. When it comes down to fuel economy tho, a stripped down version of any car is going to be lighter, faster, and get better fuel economy then the loaded version. The 4 door and hatch have the same fuel economy ratings, but I bet the hatch 5 speed is going to be wonderful when it comes to true fuel economy.

The Yaris would be a good in town car. I wouldn't want to take it on the HWY on long trips. Really small in town cars have so many advantages. They have such a short turning radius, and they can fit in the really small parking spots that no one else can fit in. I used to take our CRX to the city (Chicago) and it's so much nicer to drive then larger car. They zig, they zag, and I could make the tightest U turns that technicly were not suppost to be made, but hey, no one was looking default_smile

I gotta admit tho, after being rearended in our Corolla, I was acually afraid to drive the CRX forawhile because it was such a small car. It was also because it was a death trap. A newer car with today crash standards would be a lot safer.

And that's not even a USA model! Good grief- this nasty habit of ugly mods is everywhere.

Who in the world is designing cars that like that?? Do they get any input from future (potential) buyers? If you are reading this (designers) - don't count on me buying one.

you know thats a ricey aftermarket body kit right?

Max

Bitter- Dunno if you're asking me that question, but yes, I know it's aftermarket, and that's why I used the term "mods." On the flip side of the Yaris pictured on this thread, I saw a Scion xA at my dealership with some great TRD wheels that actually enhanced its appearance. If I were going to buy a tiny car, I'd get the xA, not the Yaris hatch.

The Xa cost more and really only comes with a nicer stereo. That and some body panels and it's just the same car. For some reason the Xa is rated at less fuel economy default_unsure

I'm acually insainly turned off by Scion. I went to a dealer on Sunday and all the Scions has insain amounts of add ons and the price for them was really close to 20K!!!!!!! Check on the price for TRD rims and then tell me you would want them.

The Yaris would look good with aftermarket rims too and for the price of TRD rims, you could acually buy real light weight racing rims. I'm never buying a car with the Scion logo on it. I hope Scion fails like the Echo. I don't wish harm on Toyota, but as a car buyer, I think they bombed on the whole Scion thing. The Xb is acually a usefull fugly box and I see them the most. Compared to the amount of Toyota's on the road, the Scions are a fart in the wind. They are not selling that well in my area anyway.

Max

The Yaris I looked at was $15,000+. The xA was -$14,000 with the TRD rims and a few other add-ons. Granted, the Yaris was an S sedan, but believe me, it was nothing special. In this case at least, the xA is the better deal. I'm okay with Scion. I just find it funny that Toyota did not hit the youth demographic they wanted. Most Scion customers are frugal middle aged folks who like the value of a Camry engine in a nice sporty tC for a lot less than they'd pay for an actual Camry, or the utility of the xB, or the value of the xA.

What year Xa and was it new? The Xa starts at 13,320 and the TRD rims cost 2 grand. A new Xa with TRD rims and other goodies for 14K is pretty good. They must be tring to unload it.

The Yaris starts at 10,950.

Max

Brand new 06 xA. I know the Yaris starts at 10 or so, and was stunned to find one that cost more than my Corolla. And I gotta say, the interior of the Yaris leaves a lot to be desired. Cheap seat fabric that's not sewn on well, lots of plastic...I was not impressed.

I'm starting to think the Yaris isn't for me Oh well. The 85 Celica GT-S I'm looking at is no so far fetched now. It seems to be a rust free car from the south. I always wanted one default_smile

Max

I've owned a 1974, 1981, and a 1987 Celica. Loved every one of those cars, and the '87 is still running fine. Hated to see Toyota stop making them. Well, at least take a look at the Yaris. Ya never know. default_smile

Well, if the 85 works out, I'm getting it. I always wanted one and I've seen them go 350K miles more. The 2.4 truck engine runs forever and the GT-S has rear independent suspention, racing seats, and the supra LSD rear with 4.10s is a direct fit.

The car can hold a number of different toyota engines as well, so I can upgrade later on. I really wish Toyota would bring back the RWD sports cars from the past. The one I'm looking at needs head work, so I'm hoping I can get it for $500-$1000 get it home and go to town on it. I once saw a RWD Corolla GT-S that was in mint condition with lots of suspention upgrades, TRD stuff, racing seats and the asking price was 15K. The car looked like time had never touched it. I'm not crazy enough to pay that much, but the car was probably acually worth it.

Too bad you don't still have the 74, that would be a classic collector now.

Max

Too bad you don't still have the 74, that would be a classic collector now.

Yeah. Of all those cars, that's the one I wish I still had. It was quite revolutionary, you know. It had a cassette player instead of 8-track!

The reason you would feel so small is because of the oversized American SUV. Other cars in the US have been sold before that are close to the same size. It's nothing new and the Yaris is only a revised and updated version of the failed Echo.

In other parts of the world, a car this size is totally normal and many of them are offered with a diesel engine that gets even better fuel economy.

With gas prices on the rise, yet again, I think the Yaris is going to be a really big hit. I thought the Echo was a fugly little thing and I've acually been in a rental. I sure hope Toyota updated the seats in the yaris cause the Echo seats were damnned unconfertable. Anything over a short trip hurt my back.

I'm going to give the Yaris a look, but I'm starting to doubt that the hatch will fit my needs due to it being so stripped down. When it comes down to fuel economy tho, a stripped down version of any car is going to be lighter, faster, and get better fuel economy then the loaded version. The 4 door and hatch have the same fuel economy ratings, but I bet the hatch 5 speed is going to be wonderful when it comes to true fuel economy.

The Yaris would be a good in town car. I wouldn't want to take it on the HWY on long trips. Really small in town cars have so many advantages. They have such a short turning radius, and they can fit in the really small parking spots that no one else can fit in. I used to take our CRX to the city (Chicago) and it's so much nicer to drive then larger car. They zig, they zag, and I could make the tightest U turns that technicly were not suppost to be made, but hey, no one was looking default_smile

I gotta admit tho, after being rearended in our Corolla, I was acually afraid to drive the CRX forawhile because it was such a small car. It was also because it was a death trap. A newer car with today crash standards would be a lot safer.

I can see what you are saying... I don't know what it is, but for some reason, the Yaris' design makes it look really tiny to me. Moreso than an Aveo or xA, even though I know they are all roughly the same size.

Anyway, I agree with you in that it would make an excellent in-town car. If I lived downtown (Chicago), I'd definitely take a look at it. Can't beat turning circles like that in crowded conditions.

However, since we're in northern Lake County, we don't need a rice patty. default_biggrin

While flipping through the channels last night, I happen to come across the last 3 seconds of the ad for the Yaris. Anyone know of any site that has the full ad posted? I would also like to see Yaris ads from other countries.

I also heard the commercial for the Yaris. I didn't see the actual commercial b/c it was so darn short. They showed the car then went to the fine print and then it was over...

the 2007 Camry sport ed. commercial is longer than that. I think the longest commercial I've seen for a Toyota was the 2006 Avalon.

I saw two Yaris commercials and like both.

First commercial is a straight copy of the trojan horse story, with the wooden horse replaced by a Yaris hatch.

The other have a couple hide in the trunk of a Yaris sedan from approaching gossipy, perhaps nosey as well, neighbors.

I saw two yaris commercials. both pretty cool but short. I guess since yaris is a small car, the commercials are also short. Honda Fit also has some pretty cool commercials. I guess the battle is on for yaris vs. fit.

saw a Yaris at the friend's neighbor's house. Haven't seen any driving around. The car looked pretty big compared to the small car I had in mind. It was registered in Ontario, Canada. Is the Canadian Yaris bigger than the US Yaris? or are they the same?

Max

I think they are the same, but not sure. You can always compare specs on the Canadian and U.S. sites. U.S. is www.toyota.com

I think they are the same, but not sure. You can always compare specs on the Canadian and U.S. sites. U.S. is www.toyota.com

They're same for the most part. Some dimensions are different but I chalk it up to differences in how we see things.

The only things you Americans don't get is the 5-door hatchback. You have xA there.

Max

Yeah, we get the itty bitty Yaris three door hatch here. I like the xA more, even though they are similar.

Bikeman982

I have never liked the look of the Toyota Echo.

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas