Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Yaris

by kathyg, March 22, 2006 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

See every reply in these pages:

I saw some pictures on the web and I love that little car! I don't plan to replace my Corolla anytime soon, but I may have to test-drive the Yaris next month when it becomes available!

Ya, it acually is a decent looking car. It's nice to see economy cars and ever sub compact economy cars getting some style to them. Gone are the days of fugly econoboxes that I personaly would have felt imbarrised to drive.

The only thing I'm worried about (not a major problem) is they don't seen to have a tachomiter. If I got one, it would be a 5sp and I would personaly want a tachomiter. While I know how to drive a car without one and I don't "need" to be shown what RMPs the engine is spinning at, it just takes all the fun away if a car doesn't have one. A aftermarket one could be installed. Even a nice slim digital one could be installed between the steering wheel and driver side glove box or something. I hope. I don't like having to alter a new daily driver much tho. It should have just about everything I would want from the factory.

Max

I mentioned Yaris on another thread - glad you started this one! I really like the four door. Can't decide if it looks more like a Camry or a Corolla, but in any case, it's a great replacement for the Echo, about which Car and Driver said, "Toyota has made something it rarely makes- a mistake." The one thing I don't like about Yaris is the center stack- I prefer to have the speedo in front of my steering wheel.

I mentioned Yaris on another thread - glad you started this one! I really like the four door. Can't decide if it looks more like a Camry or a Corolla, but in any case, it's a great replacement for the Echo, about which Car and Driver said, "Toyota has made something it rarely makes- a mistake." The one thing I don't like about Yaris is the center stack- I prefer to have the speedo in front of my steering wheel.

That is anoying, but the car does have two glove boxes as well as other insain amounts of storage space for such a small car.

Ti-Jean

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WW...%2fintro%2ehtml

All Yarises sold in Canada have a tachometer standard.

We also have 3 and 5 door models, which I find better looking than the 3 door.

But the availability of the 5 door in Canada is because Scion (including the Xa) is not sold overhere.

I acually don't know for a fact that the US spec Yaris won't have a tach. I just couldn't find it in the preproduction pics that Toyota had. It could very well have one. I hope it does anyway. I thought the days of economy cars and non performace cars being robbed of a tachometor were over.

my 2000 corolla ve does not have a tachometer and I miss having it.

Max

Toyota USA's website has been updated with the actual car. It does have a tach.

I also heard that the VEs also didn't come with a clock...now that's just cheap! Even my 89 DX POS car had a digital clock!

Now I am very pleased that I got an LE (I own a 99)...

You'd think by 2000 they'd realize clocks are important...I rely on mine every day...

Max

Went to my local dealership's "Toyota Reveal" tonight, and saw the new FJ Cruiser- incredible machine, Yaris sedan, which looks like a Corolla that shrank in the wash a bit, RAV4, which is so much more grown-up and refined, not to mention bigger, than the earlier models, and last but not least, and I almost traded the Corolla in on it, a black Camry SE with 17" alloy wheels. Toyota has a lot to be proud of with these re-designs. I hope the re-designed Corolla will follow the bold look of Avalon and Camry when we see it this time next year.

Bikeman982

I hate to tell you, but I don't like the look of the Yaris. I liked the Echo even less.

Toyota USA's website has been updated with the actual car. It does have a tach.

One of the interior pics had a tach and one didn't. I'm guessing you have to get the power packege to get it.

Bikeman982

I think I would want a tachometer, if the car had a standard transmission and not autmatic.

Max

gvr- The sedan I saw at the dealer had a tach, and did not have the power package. It might be that the hatchback comes sans tach, and the sedan has it standard.

• 1,424 posts

I just visited the Toyota North America Hompage. I looked up the Yaris specs, and it is indeed true that the sedan has a tachometer while the hatchback doesn't. From the looks of it, a tach isn't even available on the hatch, but it is standard on the sedan.

Bikeman982

I just visited the Toyota North America Hompage. I looked up the Yaris specs, and it is indeed true that the sedan has a tachometer while the hatchback doesn't. From the looks of it, a tach isn't even available on the hatch, but it is standard on the sedan.
Why would they design it that way? Do they think that people who purchase hatchbacks do not want a tachometer??

• 1,424 posts

Why would they design it that way? Do they think that people who purchase hatchbacks do not want a tachometer??

They designed it that way because the hatch is the really cheap model. It doesn't even have a stereo of any kind, it just has speakers and wiring. Also, you can't get cruise, a center console, a driver's seat height adjuster, interior fabric upgrade, a hatch release that opens the hatch from inside the car, or an engine immobilizer on the hatch model.

What do you expect for a new car made by Toyota that costs less than $11,000? It starts at $2155 less than the Corolla CE without any options. It couldn't possibly have the level of equipment of a Corolla CE for that price. That is why you see no tach, console, no available cruise control, etc.

Bikeman982

They designed it that way because the hatch is the really cheap model. It doesn't even have a stereo of any kind, it just has speakers and wiring. Also, you can't get cruise, a center console, a driver's seat height adjuster, interior fabric upgrade, a hatch release that opens the hatch from inside the car, or an engine immobilizer on the hatch model.

What do you expect for a new car made by Toyota that costs less than $11,000? It starts at $2155 less than the Corolla CE without any options. It couldn't possibly have the level of equipment of a Corolla CE for that price. That is why you see no tach, console, no available cruise control, etc.

I see. It is what you would call the basic in transportation. No frills, no thrills. Why would they even put the speakers in? I guess it is so you just add stereo? What is an engine immobilizer? Is it some kind of theft deterrent?

Max

And that's not even a USA model! Good grief- this nasty habit of ugly mods is everywhere.

Bikeman982

And that's not even a USA model! Good grief- this nasty habit of ugly mods is everywhere.
Who in the world is designing cars that like that?? Do they get any input from future (potential) buyers? If you are reading this (designers) - don't count on me buying one.

That sucks about the hatch. Maybe for 08 they will bring some of the nicer options over. I saw the hatch and I thought of the Mini Copper. Some suspention and tire work and you got yourself a little in town monster. I acually had my eye on the hatch for a cheap daily driver, but I can't stand stripped down no thrill cars.

I have a very weak lead on a 85 Celica GT-S that is forest green and it looks to be 100% rust free. I hope that works out, but if not, I need some sort of car this year. I hope it's a Toyota.

Bikeman982

That sucks about the hatch. Maybe for 08 they will bring some of the nicer options over. I saw the hatch and I thought of the Mini Copper. Some suspention and tire work and you got yourself a little in town monster. I acually had my eye on the hatch for a cheap daily driver, but I can't stand stripped down no thrill cars.

I have a very weak lead on a 85 Celica GT-S that is forest green and it looks to be 100% rust free. I hope that works out, but if not, I need some sort of car this year. I hope it's a Toyota.

You mean Mini Cooper?

You mean Mini Cooper?

Uh, ya.

When I had my CRX Si, I acually played with a mini (non supercharged) from a street light and the mini couldn't pull on me. We were both dead even with each other. I didn't take it to any high speeds, so things might have changed on top end, but overall, they were both even in town. The mini might be more plush and have higher quality meterials in the interior to look and feel better, but when it comes down to function, a Yaris hatch with TRD springs, strut tower brace, KYB GR-2 shocks and summer performace tires would hang with if not outperform a mini in the corners and in a streight line, would be pretty close.

The Yaris could be a really cheap performer in the corners with a little help from TRD, KYB and Falken tires.

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas