Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Ce - Serpentine Belt Noise In Damp Weather

By BobLevine, March 13, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

My dealer says the cars all do it.

Independent mechanic recommended using an aftermarket belt instead of Toyota since the Toyota belts seem to get noisy at about the mileage you mention, colt.

Belt's probably fine and can be easily inspected. Problem is normally just annoying.

If you are on warranty, dealer may change it free. They did for me and it stayed quiet for about 2 years.

Thanks for the info,Bob.

I may just take a shot with the dealer.

After warranty I may go with a Gatorback belt if one is available if needed.

Bikeman982

Take a shot with Ivory soap. Sounds like an inexpensive and easier fix than changing the belt.

Take a shot with Ivory soap. Sounds like an inexpensive and easier fix than changing the belt.

Good idea but I made an service appt with the dealer for 6/23.

Thr service advisor said the belt repair is covered under warranty. default_smile

If dealer will change it free, do it.

Should give you at least two quiet years of use. I tried silicone lube on my old belt, but it only removed the noise for a week or so. Maybe soap lasts longer, but a free OEM belt is a good gift to accept. Mechanic charged me $112 for part & labor - dealer wanted $120, but I preferred the aftermarket belt.

We've had dampness last two days, and the noise is totally gone.

Must be easy to change the belt. My mechanic had it done in 15 minutes.

Should give you at least two quiet years of use. I tried silicone lube on my old belt, but it only removed the noise for a week or so. Maybe soap lasts longer, but a free OEM belt is a good gift to accept. Mechanic charged me $112 for part & labor - dealer wanted $120, but I preferred the aftermarket belt.

\

Like I said above,when I'm out of warranty,I'll go with a GoodYear Gatorback belt.

The belt is grooved.Said to have longer performance.

I called a dealer service that I didn't buy the car from and told him so.

He said no problem and it's under warranty.

The service advisor seemed to know of the problem and said it was under warranty.

Bikeman982

The change is very easy. Loosen the alternator, pop off the belt, put another one on, tighten the alternator (check belt tension). People could do it themselves (if they only knew how easy it is).

I think the 2003 has a tensioner so no need to mess with the alternator.

Bikeman982

I think the 2003 has a tensioner so no need to mess with the alternator.
In that case it is even easier to change. Just loosen tensioner, remove/install new and then tighten.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)