Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Ce - Serpentine Belt Noise In Damp Weather

By BobLevine, March 13, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

My 03 CE had the original belt replaced for noise at about 15K by the dealer. Quieted things down for a while.

Two years later with 38K miles, there's a noise for the first few minutes in damp weather that goes away. Belt seems tight and looks fine. Less than 25K on the belt.

Dealer says this is normal and no real need to change the belt now. An honest dealer since extended warranty doesn't cover belts.

Son's 2003 LE got some belt noise around 60K. I had it changed since 60K is a good change interval for normal maintenance anyway. He says still a bit of noise but only rarely. I drove the car with the new belt and no noise at all.

So, the belt's about $120 to change. If other parts were needed, extended warranty would cover them.

Is this a common noise in damp weather? Doesn't increase with RPM. In fact, higher RPM takes it away.

My independent mechanic would use a different brand belt to possibly be less noisy.

Any advice?

Thanks

Max

Bob, I have no advice, but I sure have empathy. My belt was singing away in the rain yesterday. Same deal- better when revs are higher. I look forward to hearing from folks about this.

the noise goes away after the car has idled for a few minutes?

take a look at the various pulleys and see if you can tell which one its slipping past by ear or eye.

They all appear tight from what can be seen from above.

Dealer looked at appearance of belt at last oil change 2 weeks ago and found it fine.

Max appears to have the same issue. Perhaps my service rep's comment that it's the nature of the beast is correct. This is a pretty upstanding dealer in contrast to the last one I used.

Let's see if it's a general glitch.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to waste $120 and achieve nothing since the belt's only got under 25K miles of use.

Max

Bob, my dealer is one of the rare honest ones, too, and the service writers have all assured me it really is just the nature of the beast. My belt is fine, no slipping, just noisy, especially when it's damp and/or at low idle.

Perhaps we've found the two honest dealers out there.

Thanks for sharing, Max. You saved me $120.

Bikeman982

I consider it normal. Belts have to be put on within certain tension limits in order to work effectively and not cause premature wear. I believe that can cause initial start-up noise, especially in rain for the first few minutes, until it is dried out and properly functioning. The only time you really have to worry is if the noise does not go away. If it is just for a short time, it should be acceptable. Hope this helps.

Why would you pay $120.00 for a new belt? It is a fairly easy task to change. Part only costs about $10 - $15.00. You are paying a lot for the labor. If you had the time and were willing to learn, you could save yourself some money by doing it yourself. Just my opinion.

Only reason I questioned it was that belt was quiet when new.

Guess there's about an hour's labor in the job. + about $30 for the belt.

I live in an apt and have little space to work + extremely bad eyesight from 27 years programming computers. I did lots of wrenching years ago when my eyes still served me well.

Bikeman982

Only reason I questioned it was that belt was quiet when new.

Guess there's about an hour's labor in the job. + about $30 for the belt.

I live in an apt and have little space to work + extremely bad eyesight from 27 years programming computers. I did lots of wrenching years ago when my eyes still served me well.

The belt could be stretching a little as it ages. Might be why it makes some noise when you fist start up. I would not be too concerned unless it stays noisy for a longer time.

Hopefully you made enough money and saved some of it to help pay for those auto repairs.

I'm still programming and doing OK. Eligible to retire next year at 62. Car's on zero deductible Toyota extended warranty but wear items, of course, aren't covered.

Will probably get the belt done down the road when the existing one has at least 35K on it. Was concerned it might have been the tensioner but it looks like my dealer and Max's are on target with this diagnosis. Perhaps a better belt from my mechanic will be quieter than the OEM.

Thanks to all for their comments.

I'm still programming and doing OK. Eligible to retire next year at 62. Car's on zero deductible Toyota extended warranty but wear items, of course, aren't covered.

Will probably get the belt done down the road when the existing one has at least 35K on it. Was concerned it might have been the tensioner but it looks like my dealer and Max's are on target with this diagnosis. Perhaps a better belt from my mechanic will be quieter than the OEM.

Hi Bob- Am retired (61)- have 2003 Corolla that just started the belt squeak when cold trick. Four months out of warranty but only 14,300 miles. Ivory soap on topside outer edges has silenced noise for now. Probably will go to NAPA for a replacement belt.

Bikeman982

Hi Bob- Am retired (61)- have 2003 Corolla that just started the belt squeak when cold trick. Four months out of warranty but only 14,300 miles. Ivory soap on topside outer edges has silenced noise for now. Probably will go to NAPA for a replacement belt.

There are also other methods used that help to eliminate belt noise. Certain sprays can be used that don't cause damage and can eliminate noise are available from auto parts places.

I had the same problem with a noisy belt and I changed it at 32,000 miles

when I couldn't stand the sound of it anymore. I tried belt dressing, soap etc

but nothing worked very long. The belt was actually cheaper at the dealership ($30)

than at an autoparts store.

I tried a spritz of silicone and it worked for a week or so.

Will probably let my mechanic put a better belt on it when noise gets more annoying.

Thanks again to everybody for their insight.

Bikeman982

I tried a spritz of silicone and it worked for a week or so.

Will probably let my mechanic put a better belt on it when noise gets more annoying.

Thanks again to everybody for their insight.

Let us know what you end up doing, for future reference.

The last day or so was very dry. Not a bit of noise.

Will update when I change the belt.

Bikeman982

The last day or so was very dry. Not a bit of noise.

Will update when I change the belt.

It is probably affected by the moisture and does not make the noise when it is not wet. So you are going to get the belt changed anyway?

When it either gets annoyingly noisy or gets to a good maintenance change interval - say 35K on the belt that's in the car now (was changed by dealer when car had around 12K - car now has 38K).

Bikeman982

When it either gets annoyingly noisy or gets to a good maintenance change interval - say 35K on the belt that's in the car now (was changed by dealer when car had around 12K - car now has 38K).
That means you have about 26K on it now and you need to go about 9K more before you change it.

That would be about a year if my mileage stays the way it's been during my ownership of the Corolla.

Bikeman982

That would be about a year if my mileage stays the way it's been during my ownership of the Corolla.
Sounds reasonable. I think most people put more than 9,000 miles a year on their car. For a while I was getting a reduced premium on my cars because none of them went over 7,500 miles a year. I only drove 4 miles to and from work and it wasn't adding up to much. Now I drive over one hundred miles a day and it feels like it. I should put on about 36,500 miles this year!!

Well, I had my independent mechanic change the belt today. It was just getting too annoying on the last few humid days.

The belt was glazed on the non-ribbed side and that seems to cause the noise in damp weather. The ribbed side was perfect with no indication of breakdown. Belt had been on the car for about 2 years/26K miles. Was replaced by dealer for noise under warranty at 14K.

So far, no noise and it's humid.

I had promised to update when the belt was changed.

Well, I had my independent mechanic change the belt today. It was just getting too annoying on the last few humid days.

The belt was glazed on the non-ribbed side and that seems to cause the noise in damp weather. The ribbed side was perfect with no indication of breakdown. Belt had been on the car for about 2 years/26K miles. Was replaced by dealer for noise under warranty at 14K.

So far, no noise and it's humid.

I had promised to update when the belt was changed.

The bar of Ivory soap touched to the top surface of the belt (carefully!!) has stopped all the squeaking on my 2003 CE.

Same noise problem only in damp weather here also.

Started at around 18K miles.

Now have 20K and was thinking about calling the Toyota service dept but it probably won't rain that day and they'll find nothing..

My dealer says the cars all do it.

Independent mechanic recommended using an aftermarket belt instead of Toyota since the Toyota belts seem to get noisy at about the mileage you mention, colt.

Belt's probably fine and can be easily inspected. Problem is normally just annoying.

If you are on warranty, dealer may change it free. They did for me and it stayed quiet for about 2 years.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)