Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Consumption With Mobile One On A 2005 Corolla

by Jarrett, February 6, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I changed my oil at 5000km and put in mobile one. My car has slowly been consuming a bit of oil when it has 10 000 on it. Is this normal

it could be, my 93 with 118.5K miles doesnt use a drop anymore. or if there is any loss its such a small amount that by the time i'm due for a change i think that i just didnt have it all the way to the line. the most ive lost ever was 1/2 qt over 4k miles when i was loosing some past the valve seals on startup, since that problem went away its been a neglidgble loss of oil between changes.

I changed my oil at 5000km and put in mobile one. My car has slowly been consuming a bit of oil when it has 10 000 on it. Is this normal

Not for a corolla, oil consumption should be very low, almost unnoticeable even at

100k ++.

On the otherhand, the way the internal combustion engine works, it is normal for small

amount of oil to burn off in the cylinders during combustion.

Just how much oil being lost are you talking about.

Also, it is a waste of money putting synths unless you live in the Arctic.

• 1,424 posts

Not for a corolla, oil consumption should be very low, almost unnoticeable even at

100k ++.

On the otherhand, the way the internal combustion engine works, it is normal for small

amount of oil to burn off in the cylinders during combustion.

Just how much oil being lost are you talking about.

Also, it is a waste of money putting synths unless you live in the Arctic.

Toyota's published spec is that the car can burn up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. If your car is only burning up a very small amount of oil every change, it isn't terrible, but talk to your dealer anyway.

Bikeman982

Which is better, more frequent changes of oil with regular oil, or less frequent changes with more expensive synthetic oils?

neither, use quality oil and filters while following the appropriate change schedule, consult a manual for the proper intervals based up what kind of driving you do.

default_tongue

It kind of comes down to personal choice. I have been using mobil 1 and I have it in the Corolla right now, but I want to run the Synthetic oil from Wal-mart and just run that and the super tech oil filter. The problem is, they seem to only have 10w 30 right now for some reason.

I want to change to something cheaper because mobil 1 is kind of over kill for a economy car, but I want the engine to last a long time with as little wear as possible.

I have a older turbo car that I just can't get rid of, and I had Mobil 1 in that. I don't know if it's the age of the car or what, but I used to change the oil every 3K miles, and from reading lots of forums about oil, it sounded like I was wasting my oil. So, I wanted to go for a 5K oil change. Well, around 4500 miles, the oil was as black as can be, the car had lifter tick, and I changed it with wally world synthetic super tech oil and filter and the car drove a lot better again. So, I'm just going to go back to 3K oil changes, but with cheaper oil.

The question is a loaded one. It comes down to the car, the driver, the climent, ect.

My '03 Corolla LE has 35,500 miles on it now, and I've been using Mobil 1 ever since the car had 2,200 miles. I've never "burned" a drop of oil to my knowledge.

Jarrett, you say your car is consuming a bit of oil "when it has 10,000 on it." Please clarify. How much is a "bit" of oil? Is that 10,000 miles total mileage on the car, or on that particular oil change? We'd need more complete and specific data in order to analyze your situation with any degree of accuracy.

If you changed to Mobil 1 at 5,000 km, and it is using a "bit" of oil at 10,000 km, I wouldn't be too shocked, as long as a "bit" meant a small amount, such as 100 ml. or less. Any more than that, I'd be concerned.

It is not too much about a quater at a time and it is like once a month. I added oil about the Dec 27 2005 about a quater of oil and another quater yesturday

friendly_jacek

It is not too much about a quater at a time and it is like once a month. I added oil about the Dec 27 2005 about a quater of oil and another quater yesturday

Mobil 1 is a good oil but from time to time I see a post just like yours on various car discussion forums. Maybe the engine was not fully braked-in when you switched to synthetic. Use regular XW30 oil, preferably high-30 viscosity (like maxlife) and see what happens.

Ti-Jean

Mobil 1 is a good oil but from time to time I see a post just like yours on various car discussion forums. Maybe the engine was not fully braked-in when you switched to synthetic. Use regular XW30 oil, preferably high-30 viscosity (like maxlife) and see what happens.

Same here. Highway speeds above 70 MPH and Mobil 1 is not a good match from what I've seen on other boards.

Bhp02 and Larry Roll, you are correct in that the Corolla should only be consuming minute virtually insignificant amounts of oil. A three year old Corolla with under 100k miles requiring one, two, or three quarts of oil between oil changes is rediculous. That statement is contengent on a few factors (1. The car has never been overheated and 2. The engine has not been run without or with very little oil).

However, he does not mention the speed he's driving. If an economy type vehicle such as Corolla, Civic, Sentra, or Chevy Cobalt, for that matter, is being driven 80mph, 90mph and/or faster, it is going to consume oil in noticaeble amounts. Economy type autos is not intended to be driven aggressively and at high rates of speed. At the risk sounding condescending, it's not a sports car.

I've been running Mobil 1 in my 2002 Corolla (~127K miles) and has not burned one drop as of yet, even on my extended drain schedule (7500+ miles OCI).

For grins, I did a little "test" last four months or so - I switched to regular Castrol GTX 5w30 and did an oil change interval at 3K miles. Same driving conditions - 80/20 highway/city mix with highway speeds around 70-75MPH during rush hour. With regular oil - burned about half a quart in 3000 miles. Switched to a synthetic blend - another 3K miles, another hlaf quart down. One flush run with Mobil 1 5w30 at 3K (little consumption - maybe a quarter quart) and regular run to 5K miles (couple of trips out of state) - burned NO oil. Mobil 1 works for me.

Now trying the SuperTech full synthetic on the Matrix for testing purposes - originally run on conventional oils for at least 35K miles - two runs of Castrol Syntec (Group III synthetic) and now SuperTech - should have some oil analysis done here real soon to compare the two cars. For me - Mobil 1 works the best. But like they say - your mileage my vary.

IT IS NORMAL FOR ANY ENGINE TO CONSUME SOME OIL, and especially if you are using thin mobil1 5-30

synthetic. I have (since new) mk4 golf 2.0 4cyl engine that were "KNOWN" to be oil burner's and beleive it or not, when I used MOBIL 1 Synth 5-30 on it it would burn between 200ml to 400ml per 1000km (also depends on your driving trends).

Since I switched to regular castrol 5-w-30 not even a drop has been burnt. Also if you ask any mechanic,

most of them will tell you that synth. oils have tendency to burn..

my $0.02

forgot to mention my dx 95 corolla. This one does not burn oil, it drips from rust eaten oil pan....

Our Corolla hasn't lost a drop of Mobil 1. I check it often too.

Our car is driven mostly freeway at 68-72 m.p.h. We use amsoil XL-7500 5W-30. Car never uses any oil. We change the oil every 7,500 miles. I used regular toyota oil until 10,000 miles, then made the switch. I did notice about one quarter of a quart oil consumption with regular oil. But that was within the first 5,000 miles. After that consumption was nill. Oh, by the way I did change the oil vey often at first, waste or not, I wanted to be on the safe side. 1,000 3,000 5,000 then at 10,000 switched to syn. and every 7,500 after that. We are at 36,000 and no problems.

Is it a quart of oil every month? How many miles for the month?

Bikeman982

I use Castrol GTX and usually if it starts to get low, it is right at oil change time anyway. I end up changing the oil and not having any problems.

I've been running Mobil 1 in my 2002 Corolla (~127K miles) and has not burned one drop as of yet, even on my extended drain schedule (7500+ miles OCI).

For grins, I did a little "test" last four months or so - I switched to regular Castrol GTX 5w30 and did an oil change interval at 3K miles. Same driving conditions - 80/20 highway/city mix with highway speeds around 70-75MPH during rush hour. With regular oil - burned about half a quart in 3000 miles. Switched to a synthetic blend - another 3K miles, another hlaf quart down. One flush run with Mobil 1 5w30 at 3K (little consumption - maybe a quarter quart) and regular run to 5K miles (couple of trips out of state) - burned NO oil. Mobil 1 works for me.

Now trying the SuperTech full synthetic on the Matrix for testing purposes - originally run on conventional oils for at least 35K miles - two runs of Castrol Syntec (Group III synthetic) and now SuperTech - should have some oil analysis done here real soon to compare the two cars. For me - Mobil 1 works the best. But like they say - your mileage my vary.

Fish, How is the Matrix doing with SuperTech Synthetic? I did my first oil change last Saturday and I am using SuperTech 5w30. I was deciding on either Castrol Syntec Blend or full synthetic. The price of the SuperTech was less than the Castrol so I thought the benefit of full synthetic would be best.

Fish, How is the Matrix doing with SuperTech Synthetic? I did my first oil change last Saturday and I am using SuperTech 5w30. I was deciding on either Castrol Syntec Blend or full synthetic. The price of the SuperTech was less than the Castrol so I thought the benefit of full synthetic would be best.

So far - so good. I have not sent in an oil sample for analysis yet - but I plan to do that when time presents itself. I have not noticed any appreciable oil consumption with the SuperTech (did notice some with Castrol Syntec Blend and Full Synthetic when I ran them last). We'll see how it holds up to the more expensive Mobil 1. For the price - SuperTech is hard to beat. Castrol Syntec Blend is within a few dollars, Syntec Full synthetic was higher still - but so far, they don't seem to be better than the SuperTech I'm running now. I will have to hold final judgement until I've run a few changes with SuperTech and look at some UOA numbers.

I changed to M1 5w-30 synthetic at 1800 miles and now at 5600 miles, I havent noticed any oil consumption. I have an 05 auto.

Just changed my '05's oil and it burned about 3/4 qt in the 7500 mile first Mobil 1 change.

Initial use of mobil 1 may burn some oil and then it stops.

At least that's what I have read on a few forums.

I'll now see if that's correct or not.

So far - so good. I have not sent in an oil sample for analysis yet - but I plan to do that when time presents itself. I have not noticed any appreciable oil consumption with the SuperTech (did notice some with Castrol Syntec Blend and Full Synthetic when I ran them last). We'll see how it holds up to the more expensive Mobil 1. For the price - SuperTech is hard to beat. Castrol Syntec Blend is within a few dollars, Syntec Full synthetic was higher still - but so far, they don't seem to be better than the SuperTech I'm running now. I will have to hold final judgement until I've run a few changes with SuperTech and look at some UOA numbers.

Check up on bob the oil guy forums. I acually started using the the ST synthetic oil in my turbo car because the oil gets dirty faster then a NA car and I change it at 3K no matter what. I was using mobil 1. So far no problems. I'm acually having problems finding ST 5w 30 sythetic at wally world, but it looks like the meijer sythetic is the same thing. Source, bob the oil guy: While not proven 100%, the bottle and wording is 100% the same. I'm going to use it next oil change.

Bikeman982

My car is not burning oil at all and the only time I add any is approximately at the same time that I do an oil change. I plan on 3500 miles between changes. I change the filter every other time. It seems to work well.

I think I said it before, but I'll say it again. It's NOT normal for a new Toyota engine to use oil. Maybe during break in, but even ours didn't loose a drop during break in, or after break in.

I changed to Mobil 1 at 3K miles and our car has 15K I think. I'm going to change to a group III sythentic next oil change cause really, Mobil 1 is just over kill for a Corolla. I change the oil every 5K miles and if I use super tech/ meijer full synthetic, it will be good enough for our car. ST oil filters are made by champoin btw and the best budget filter on the market. They are better then others that cost more. So, use that or Toyota, and you can't go wrong.

It's normal for a Ford V8 to use oil, but our Corolla and my Folks Camery has never used a drop of oil between oil changes. At least not enough to lower the level on the dip stick. I'm sure all cars use a little, no matter how good they are, but we don't have to add oil ever.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)