Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cross Country In A Corolla 05?

Guest milo04

Hi all,

we're planning on driving our 2005 corolla cross country from Boston to California in August. The car was bought brand new 6 months ago, has 3000 miles on it so far.

Any of you driven cross country in a corolla before? Any tips and advice you can offer? Definitely do an oil change before hand! Right?

Any advice to keep in mind, to do, check, along the way?

What's a good route to take that had good roads for our car?

How much time in between should we give for the car to rest?

thanks all!

-milo default_sad

Guest Corollasroyce

I havn't done it in a corolla...However i would get the oil changed according to your schedule...somewhere along the road, but if you do it yourself then sure go ahead and do it before you leave....Watch your tire pressure through the drive, every morning when you go back to start driving again then check it then, when tires have cooled down...check your oil and fluid levels every couple thousand miles... As for good roads...take whatever seems most adventerous to you, doesn't really matter...Give the car time to rest?? I don't think its nessessary....drive it as long as you want and then when you sleep at night that will be the rest for the car...as long as your keeping your speed moderated you won't have anything to worry about. I plan to do the same, from vancouver to toronto this summer....Make sure you keep your roadside assisstance card with you just in case....

Haven't driven cross country - but have driven 800-1200 miles in one trip.

Some tips (most are common sense):

- Avoid driving while you're fatigued - take breaks often to stretch out and get some fresh air.

- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.

- Keep at least a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas - quality and availability of gas varies.

- Use cruise control only on good pavement - do not use on slippery, low traction surfaces like ice, sand/dirt, wet.

- Review weather reports prior to a long-distance drive or before driving in isolated areas.

- Let others know your route, destination and estimated time of arrival.

- Make sure car is in good shape (not a problem here).

- Cellular phone or radio/CB for emergencies.

- Emergency blankets, gloves, hats, food, water, first aid kit and any needed medication.

- Pack an emergency road side kit (jumper cables, flares or traingles)

- Check pressure and condition of spare tire and make sure that you have the jack and proper lug removal tools (adapters for wheel locks, etc).

- Bring music for entertainment for reception poor areas.

- Bring plenty of maps or better yet, GPS nav system.

Oil change before is a good idea - just make sure to bring an extra quart and double check the work (no loose oil plug, filter on tight, etc.). Don't rally need to give the car time to rest - it doesn't get tired - only people do. Routes depend on what you want to see along the way and how fast you want to get there. Most trip planning software you can buy in most electronic stores gives you many options (toll roads, no highways, scenic route only, points of interest, etc.) - would be an excellent investment for a trip of this magnitude.

Good Luck.

well...best route is a hard nut to crack.

personally, I'd jump on I-80 and ride it across country. I'll I know about is the northeast and south to virginia, but I'd take 90 west to 88 south to 81 south (or 88 south to 17 west to 220 south) to 80 and then on west...a nice county drive, mostly away from the nasty congested insanity! 88 is a beautiful, relatively smooth and underused highway.

Guest Corollasroyce

I cant wait to drive cross country , i love taking pictures so this is going to be a great oppertunity to get some really nice photographs.

Guest Toyota-san

use good gas!

Ti-Jean

milo04,

What model do you have?

If you have a CE or S, I would try to see if the console armrest from the LE fits. I think it does, but I'm not sure.

It is longer, higher and padded. Might be a good comfort point on day long drives. For you and your passenger.

Guest milo04

hi all,

thanks for all your replies and advice. We're looking forward to it.

We'll probably check AAA for maps and advice too. We just wanted a more personal feel with whomever have actually driven all the way.

We're definitely making it a holiday trip too, so there will be plenty of stops and picture documentation, and thus the drive won't feel as monotonous.

Ti-Jean, in response, we have an 05 LE. It's pretty comfy, but with all the stuff we're going to load in it (we're relocating, that's why), it will get tight in the back.

It will just be me and my wife.

-m

Max

Milo- welcome. Best to you and your wife for your long trip and your new life in Cali. I drove my car across five states a couple years ago and it wasn't a bad trip. Only complaint is that the seat bottoms are just a little too short, and I had some back fatigue, but other than that, it was smooth sailing and I loved my mileage- about 41mpg.

sacramento to chicago.....smooooooth all the way.

Guest johnnyknapp

Hey Milo04,

I drove from Chicago to San Francisco in Nov. in my '04 Corolla. The only advice I can offer is to echo one of the previous posts and make sure you have at least a half a tank of gas at all times; gas stations are few and far between in Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. Other than that, enjoy the ride brother! Check the weather continuously, you may need snow chains in some parts this time of the year.

Veteran of 3 DC to Oregon trips in the early '90s, the last one being an 8,000+mile round trip over the course of 2 months in '94. If you enjoy driving and can take enough time to make it not seem like a race, it's fantastic.

Suggestions:

-Read 'Blue Highways' by William Least Heat-Moon.

-Take off as much time as you can afford to. This will allow you to...

-Avoid the Interstates. Folks are friendlier, food is better, there's less crime, and trucks are fewer. Nothing against truckers, though.

-Speaking of truckers, a CB or some kind of 2-way communications device is probably good insurance against the unexpected.

-Public buildings, i.e.: libraries, court houses, city halls, colleges, police stations, dams, etc., have the best restrooms. (Indiana has the best rest stops.)

-The AAA road atlas shows the most detail - even the tiny road my Mom lives off of in Missouri - which the other brands omit.

-Start each day of driving as early as possible. The roads are usually empty then. (This might be a personal preference.)

Have fun and be sure to post how the Corolla does. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Topic List