Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tighter Tolerance Engines

by Bull6791, August 9, 2014

See every reply in these pages:

What does it mean when they say new engines have tighter tolerances? Do that mean new engines are made with smaller passages for oil to flow through. Also did they make tighter tolerances for new thinner oils.

The recommended oil for my 07 Camry is 0w-20 or 5w-20. It is written on oil fill cap. I have always used. 5w-20.

Is it possible to use 5w-30. Why or why not?

Frank

Tighter tolerances is a term that gets overused in many cases. Doesn't necessarily mean smaller clearances between bearing surfaces, though that can be a side effect of tighter tolerances, It just means that improvements in machining, manufacturing, and assembly has shrunk down the acceptable deviations in critical dimensions between parts.

With the oil viscosity - the move to 20 weight oil from 30 weight was more for CAFE numbers than anything performance related. Lower viscosity, thinner oils means less internal drag and pumping losses - means more MPG overall. Some conditions warrant running a 5w-30 or even heavier - 0w-20/5w-20 are the RECOMMENDED oil viscosity for MOST operating conditions.

Some cases, you might find a good deal on 5w-30 motor oil and want to stock up. I see no reason wrong with running that viscosity - just note that MPG might drop slightly. Also, some 5w-30 motor oils will shear down to a 20 weight, and some 0w-20 weight oils shear up to a 30 weight. What this means? Just use the oil that is as close to the recommended grade as possible and change it as needed. You'll find that some brands and weights of motor oil will give you the best MPG, others will give you better performance, and some give you a good compromise between the two.

Need someone that is schooled in Tribology to give you a more definitive answer. Might try the BITOG forums - lots of good info there, just have to wade through some of the Amsoil pitches and BS that you can find in almost any forum.

Fish

I have always used 5w-20 oil in my 07 Camry. On my next oil change I am going to try 5w-30.

You said you see no problem with it so I will give it a try.

Frank.

You might notice a quieter valvetrain with 5W-30... You do use synthetic? Which one?

Yup, with these sort of things, you just have to try it out. As dom mentioned, the slightly thicker 5w-30 may help quiet down valvetrain chatter while retaining all the performance as 5w-20 oil. All depends on the specs of the motor oil you plan on using - brand, synthetic or not, etc.

On the Corolla, I tend to favor oils that tend to be on the thinner side - like Mobil 1 5w-30 or 0w30. Still have the protection and pressure of a 30 weight when at operating temperature - but is what is called a "light 30 weight". Towards the end of my OCI - it tends to shear down to almost a 20 weight (notice more tapping from the valvetrain) - that's when I change it out. Still plenty of additives left, but running thinner than I'd like. Some oils, like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Amsoil tend to shear thicken over time, for me. They also tend to sit on the heavier side of the 30 weights. Amsoil tends to shear up the most - I've ran into a case where it went from a 5w-30 (Honda CRX Si) to almost a 10w40 when I drained it out. Little too thick for me. Platinum also sheared up - but still stayed in grade for me over the OCI - though it was definitely thicker when it came out than when it first poured in.

All depends on what you like - each case will be different, every driving situation will be different. One person's favorite oil could be disastrous in someone else's car. Look at the Lotus Exige/Elise guys - same 2ZZ-GE engine from Toyota (Celica GTS, Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS) but with a slightly different fuel map and different intake/exhaust - but they swear by a 15W-40 oil. Tad too thick to run in my daily driven car (2003 Matrix XRS), but perfect for those guys as they do track events.

Fish

I use conventional oil in my corolla. I change my oil every 3000 miles. I only use 5w-30 oil. On my next oil change I was going to use Valvoline premium conventional oil 5w-30. It was called something before and it is the only oil you used in your Camry that has 400,000 miles on it. I think this is the right oil.

Question: is Valvoline a light 30. Does this oil shear up or down.

I think it was called Valvoline All-Climate conventional motor oil - that should be pretty decent oil for the short oil change interval you are doing.

On my Camry - I was sticking with originally the manufacturer recommended 7500 mile oil change interval (normal use), then dropped it to 5000 around the 200K mile mark. If all cars will last long with the same treatment? - impossible to say.

It will be a tall order as the S-series engine and oversized A-series transaxle back then were already near legendary in reliability even when I bought the car - back when Toyota was pushing for longer life and overall reliability than fuel economy, emissions and environmental impact.

As for shearing - most conventional motor oils tend to shear down as the miles pile up, some better than others - Valvoline I would consider average. As for weight - they tend to be in the middle of most 30-weights.

fish

That name is right but I thought it is now called Valvoline Premium Conventional Oil.

In about 1000 miles I will be doing my first oil change myself. I am getting away From mechanic oil changers.

I want to know why do I keep reading do not use a adjustable wrench or socket on drain plug. Only use correct box end/ close end wrench.

Also in your opinion how good are these filters: Denso, Wix and Napa Gold.

I heard Wix and Napa Gold are one of the best filters you can buy for 05 corolla.

Do you have any other pointers I should know since this is my first oil change.

Sockets are OK - just have to make sure they actually fit the drain bolt. 6-point sockets are preferred over the 12-point ones. As for adjustable, I agree, just too much slop in there to get a good bite on the bolt, way too easy to have it slip and end up rounding off the bolt.

As for the filters - all of them are great. I think the WIX one actually makes the Napa Gold filter. Pick whichever one you can find at the best price - can't go wrong with any of them.

As for tips - I think you probably picked up most of them on this forum. Only things I can add are to pre-fill the filter before you install it. Takes no time to do, any oil that gets dribbled on the filter end - you can use that to dab onto the gasket/o-ring - ensures that you have some oil in there on the first start. Follow the directions on the oil filter - they usually say something like tighten an additional 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact - sometimes they print it on the filter itself. Each filter is different, so make sure you find out first before you get ready to pre-fill it.

Drain plug gasket - if it isn't too distorted, you can reuse it. If in doubt - replace it, lots of material out there - fibre, composite, rubber faced aluminum, soft aluminum crush washer, etc. Don't need a whole lot of force to tighten it - you can use a box wrench or stubby wrench to tighten it, as there is only so much torque you can apply onto the bolt with that short of a lever arm.

Don't forget to put in the fresh oil - you'd be surprised how many people forget on their first oil change. Easiest way to start is to lay out all your tools and supplies, that way they are readily at hand. Put some cardboard or similar under the car to catch any drips/spills of oil. Have plenty of heavy duty shop paper towels or rags, brake cleaner solvent works great at washing down parts - degreasing them. After you are all done - run the car a bit to circulate the new oil, shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes - then check underneath for any leaks. Check the oil level often to make sure there are no leaks and to monitor if you need more oil or not. If you overfill slightly - should be fine, but if the oil level is a good 1/2" or 1" higher on the dipstick - you put way too much in and need to drain some back out.

Fish

Now does the new filter get filled up with oil or do you just smear some oil on the gasket. If so how much oil does it get filled with. Why do you fill filter with oil because I never heard of it before. I only head of smearing gasket with oil.

fish my 05 corolla 4!cylinder 1.8 liter Le what cc is the engine 1794 or 1795. I need to know to get the wix part # for oil filter for my car. Unless you know part #. That is what wix site is asking for.

Fish the Valvoline all season conventional oil did it change it's name to Valvoline Premium .

Thanks Frank.

The new filter gets filled with as much oil as it takes to fill it. Its exact capacity is irrelevant. It really doesn't matter how much oil it takes to fill it. Just go ahead and fill it with new oil... Carefully fill it slowly up to the top as it displaces air. This is done for quicker oil circulation upon startup, as the oil pump has to fill the filter before the oil can then build pressure and continue its path to the engine's main bearings and up to the valvetrain, etc.

Wix oil filter # 51394 (Denso 1501000, Bosch 3311), or you can opt for the larger # 51348 (Denso 1501002, Bosch 3330) as listed for Camry V6.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1433059,parttype,5340

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430821,parttype,5340

Why not go with Valvoline MaxLife Higher Mileage Motor Oil, available in synthetic blend or full synthetic?!

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/higher-mileage-motor-oil/2

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/higher-mileage-motor-oil/3

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-5W30-5-Qt./15125765

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5W30-5-qt/23636909

Dom

Thanks. The new filter I want to fill it completly up with new oil and also smear the gasket with some oil then screw it on.

I did not know about filling it up with oil. I only heard to smear some oil on gasket before you screw new filter on.

Thanks again for explanation.

Frank.

Fish

Now does the new filter get filled up with oil or do you just smear some oil on the gasket. If so how much oil does it get filled with. Why do you fill filter with oil because I never heard of it before. I only head of smearing gasket with oil.

fish my 05 corolla 4!cylinder 1.8 liter Le what cc is the engine 1794 or 1795. I need to know to get the wix part # for oil filter for my car. Unless you know part #. That is what wix site is asking for.

Fish the Valvoline all season conventional oil did it change it's name to Valvoline Premium .

Thanks Frank.

1ZZ-FE engine displaces 1.8L or 1794cc. The higher performance 2ZZ-GE is also a 1.8L or 1796cc engine. Not sure where they get the 1795cc size from - could be referring to the 2ZZ-GE. Surprised that the wix filter site doesn't go by engien family, but displacement.

Fish

My 05 corolla takes 4 quarts of oil with filter for an oil change. This is original number and not new number.

My 07 Camry takes 4.5 quarts with filter for oil change.

Now when you fill new filter completely up with oil is car now over filled with oil.

Thanks.

Frank

In the owner's manual - they will list oil capacity with and without the filter. The listed capacities sounds like the filter pre-filled (oil "with" filter). Double check with your owner's manual.

OMG, Frank... If you don't fill the oil filter, it will still get filled once you start the engine. It doesn't matter if you pre-fill the oil filter or not, it will still take exactly the same total amount of oil upon your oil and filter change.

Does your 2005 Corolla already have the revised dipstick which measures exactly 18 inches between o-ring near handle amd full mark? It should take about 4.5 quarts.

Fish

Owners manual says: 05 corolla 4 quarts with filter.

07 Camry 4.5 quarts with filter.

Fish please bear with me. I fill new filter all the way up with oil and screw it on.

Question: now how much oil do you add to engine. 4 quarts like manual says or do I add less when filling engine because I filled up new oil

Ok Dom just explained it to me.

Thanks

Frank.

Dom

I only have the original dipstick that came with car. I do know about the revised oil level and new dipstick. Thanks for info.

I just use original dipstick that came with car and original oil level of 3.9 quarts with filter as per manual.

Frank

To determine if you do have the revised dipstick, see if it measures 18 inches from o-ring near top handle, and the full mark. If it's about 18.5 inches, make a new mark with a marker at exactly 18 inches. No need to buy the new revised dipstick. Your revised oil capacity with filter change is now 4.4 US quarts.

Dom

Question.: I will measure it. If I find out it is not updated because it measures 17.5 inches, just asking, why do I have to update dipstick.

Why can't I use the old dipstick if I find out it is the old dipstick. Does it really matter.

Let me know.

Frank.

You can still use the old dipstick. Just make a new full mark on it at the revised height.... You are now aware that your oil capacity was revised in 2005, as per TSB. Your oil capacity is now 4.4 quarts, even if you have the old dipstick like on my 2004.

You don't have to, but you should to better protect your engine, as advised by Toyota. You have no reason not to revise your oil capacity to Toyota's updated TSB specs.

Dom

If I don't know I ask. What does old dipstick measure.

Frank

Old dipstick mesures a tad less than 18.5 inches from center of 0-ring to full mark dot. Revised is exactly 18 inches.

Dom

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I am just starting to do my own car maintenance. So anything you tell me It would help me out.

Thanks again Frank.

Topic List