Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

4 Hours Idle,how Bad Will It To Engine?

by dracodoc, December 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Guest Veritas

Slalom, since when are you the arbiter of what's OK and what's not in this site?

I think it's up to the moderators here to make those decisions, not you or I.

Who are the "we" that have the right to judge others as "incapable?"

And where are these "several of us" who have asked me to post facts?

So far you're the only one who seems to be at odds with "facts".

It seems that you evidently place a higher value in self serving rhetoric and oneupmanship than any "facts" which appear here.

Read my post again--I edited it for more clarity---and I'm still waiting for an apology--although when it comes to being "incapable"..............well, enough said!.

Unless you're willing to agree that my earlier observations resonate even more now: "Obviously it's just a waste of time attempting to convince anyone who doesn't want to be convinced. Those who believe they're always right will never admit being wrong."

Nevertheless,I still think it's time to move on. Carrying on like this is stupid, don't you think?

Sayonara,

V.

Nevertheless,I still think it's time to move on. Carrying on like this is stupid, don't you think?

Sayonara,

V.

It is up to you.

OUKB,

Chemical Engineer

I'll chime in - this post is getting to be a bit out of hand.

Yes, everyone is on the same page that - in internal combustion engines, you will find water/moisture as one of the the combustion byproducts.

Can damage be done just by idling for long periods of time? Depends on the factors surrounding the event. Most likely, no.

Can idling cause excessive moisture to accumulate in the engine and cause wear? Also, depends on the factors surrounding the event. But most will be directed down the exhaust system, very little will be present in the crankcase or valvetrain, even with blowby gases - unless the car in question has developed other serious problems (blown headgasket, plugged PCV, etc.).

Excessive idling is basically very wasteful of fuel - some wear can be increased to components such as the valvetrain due to frictional wear from reduced lubrication (oil pressure not as high). Motor oils will tend to have fuel dilution from ombustion byproducts "washing" down the cylinder walls due to lowered engine efficiency - water is one of them, but a majority of the byproduct is fuel. Slalom44 had a good link to such information.

I've also worked on quite of few engines myself - some even operating in marine/estuarine enviroments. But I have yet to run across one that had failed due to excessive moisture condensation from long duration idling.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - that's why there's this add "reply" field. But I'm disappointed that poster mchlkrft choose to flame OUKB and Slalom44. To call someone a "fool" or "clown" or "joker" is completely uncalled for. Such comments discredit your own post of "cheap [] tactis to demean another person's opinion". Everyone here can make form their own conclusions from the information presented - to that effect, you should be the one apologizing.

Yeah, you're right. I was out of line. But it was upsetting to me to watch those two bait that Veritas poster. That's what they were doing, just goading him on. I apologize for my conduct, it was wrong and I'm sorry. What about those two though, especially the OUKB person. His last remarks were really uncalled for and rude.

My appology to the entyre forum if my remarks were "..uncalled for and run".

So I decided as a punishment to enroll into Internal l combustion engines class in my local colledge.

To mchlkrft. Thanks for valuable contribution to this forum.

Idle, How bad?

Click on the" Idle, How bad ?" for this article.

I couldn't help but notice that the web site says that Canadians idle their cars too much. I'm not Canadian (although I descend from some), have spent time in cold weather and shared the tendency not to want to let the car freeze back up if I could avoid it. Plus, I was on a web site for woodworking and read posts from rural Canadian guys telling one another to be careful driving in winter weather. I got the distinct impression that they were well aware that a breakdown on a deserted road was much more dangerous than in a warmer clime. Heat equals life and when that car heater shuts off . . . . To our Canadian friends, stay warm and please be careful out there. And don't idle so much! (just kidding) default_wink

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh today it was -52 here with windchill....which is -60 dergrees farenheit according to my cheezy java converter, for the first time my car was parked outside in this, for 9 hours, not plugged in as it was only for one day and i could not plug it in.....it made a LOUD bang when it finally turned over...kinda scared me, so i let it warm up for about 5 mins till it came out of the "COLD" on the thermostat....anyone else had this happen?

Just so you know, windchill does not affect your car unless it's still warm. It's only a measure of how much quicker a warm object (which your car is not when it's been parked for hours) looses heat when in the wind. And it's rather crappy measure.

I've never had a bang when starting but I think that usually comes from a drowned engine. My dad's motorcycle does this every now and then. His car did it once too and a few sensors popped out of their holes.

Obviously it's just a waste of time to attempt to convince anyone who doesn't want to be convinced.Those who believe they're always right will never admit being wrong.

I'm sure there are more worthwhile issues to argue about anyway.

So let's just move on.

Internal engine components are coated in a layer of oil. Rust simply won't occur in that environment without the car sitting for several months. ON the modern engine the only steel internal engine components are teh crank cams and valves. Valves also have a film of gasoline or carbon on them which will prevent rust.

Yeh today it was -52 here with windchill....which is -60 dergrees farenheit according to my cheezy java converter, for the first time my car was parked outside in this, for 9 hours, not plugged in as it was only for one day and i could not plug it in.....it made a LOUD bang when it finally turned over...kinda scared me, so i let it warm up for about 5 mins till it came out of the "COLD" on the thermostat....anyone else had this happen?

I had a '91 Toyota Tercel that had no problems starting after several -20F (without windchill) days in MI. It ran trouble free for over 5 years and 60,000 miles after that before I sold it.

Liek mentioned above. WIndchill is a rough measurement of heat transfer rate... NOT an actual temperature. However... humans sense temperature as a rate of heat transfer from their skin. That is why a piece of wood and a piece of metal at teh same temperature feel different. The metal has a higher heat transfer rate.

Topic List