Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cheap, Effective Bug Removal

by corollamike, July 19, 2011

Tired of the green spray bug removal stuff that didn't do the job, I had a flash of ingenuity the other day (which happens about as often as Oliver Stone attends a Tea Party rally) by simply soaking the front fascia and side mirrors of my '09 Corolla with undiluted liquid car soap.

I added enough soap to cover the bottom of my bucket, dipped an ordinary car washing sponge into it, and applied the soap full strength to all areas covered by bugs. After 10 minutes, I scrubbed the soap away with the same sponge and my normal car soap/water solution. The soap I used was a full-bodied solution — not the "watery" kind. That one application took all the bugs off! Can't say that with anything else I've tried.

Of course, the application removed most of my wax job, but I use the spritz stuff anyway, so it was a breeze to add another coat of wax. Thought I'd pass this along.

Cheers,

corollamike

Yeah that tar/bug remover stuff has petroleum solvents that mar any plastic it touches. You for sure don't want touching today's plastic headlights or grilles.

(On a related note if you google for "green spray bug removal" this thread is the first result -- 14 hrs old)

I've been using laundry dryer sheets for a few years now to remove bug guts from several cars.

Just wet down the paint, rub the bugs/guts off gently and wash the car as usual.

Great tip -- I'll give it a try next time I wash my Corolla. It's been a couple of years since the last wash so it's about due.

Topic List