Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Routine Service For 1998 Corolla

By bobbiw, December 11, 2010

Hi Fish or anyone. Can anyone tell me what regular service my 1998 corolla needs? I have 188,000 miles on mine and I change the oil and filter, transmission fluid, cooling system, air filter and spark plugs myself at regular intervals as called for in the manual. I have not been to a garage or service center for anything else regarding basic maintenance. I don't have any problems at all, but I want to keep this Toyota in top shape and am afraid I am overlooking something. I am especially worried that the rack and pinion should have regular maintenance as when I had new tires put on, the dealer tried to sell me a repair job on the rack and pinion for $1,100. This is now 18 months ago and even tho I have been underneath and couldn't see anything, I am still worried about it. Thanks for your help. Bobbw.

Most of the maintenance concerning the Corolla will be related to fluid and filter changes, some hardware components as they wear out over time. From your description - you've hit all the major maintenance points. Only things I'd add to that list would be brake fluid flush, powersteering fluid flush, replace PCV valve, plug wires, serpentine belt, hoses (at this age and mileage, start checking for rotting cooling system hoses), assuming you already got the air filter and transaxle filter. Of course, the usual run of checking over nuts and bolts on the chassis, inspection of the suspension, exhaust system, check wheel bearings, CV joint, tie-rod ends, lower ball joint, upper strut mounts, swaybar endlinks, suspension bushings, engine and transaxle torque mounts, etc.

As for the steering rack - you do need to change the oil in the powersteering reservoir at regular intervals - my concern is what the dealership was trying sell you repair wise on the rack. If the steering rack dust boots were ripped or missing, leaking oil from the seals, etc. - then you do have problem that needs to be addressed soon than later. If it was a scare tactic to pry some money from you - that is another thing all together.

There is a Owner's section on the Toyota main website (on my browser, it is on the bottom of the page) - navigate from the Owner's section to Owner's Manuals and to Warranty and Maintenance Guides.

Try this link, if you cannot find it:

http://www.toyota.com/owners/apps/maintenance-guides.do

Input model year and model and it will pop a link to a downloadable PDF file with all the service requirements for that car. The guide runs up to 120K miles, but can be extended for as many miles are needed - Note that there are major services every 30K miles that are very similar.

Hi Fish, thanks a lot for answering my question, got right to the point. Did all the necessary work that you mention. Had the drivers side drive shaft replaced, boot was leaking on that side. Thought i was getting ripped off by the quote from the dealer. Will take the corolla in for an inspection to my local AAA repair shop. The oil was changed in the power steering after the dealer told me about the supposed problem with the rack and steering by the AAA repair shop. Nothing was mentioned about needed repairs to me at that time. Thanks again for your info. By the way, that 188,000 + miles is without any leaks at all, 30 mpg local driving and 38-42 mpg highway. Best car i've ever had for reliability. Bobbiw

My 1998 has 89,384 mileage. Took into today for minor service, the service advisor tried to get me to do the 90,000 mile service for $500 something dollars (but I was not ready yet and the car doesn't seem to be having any problems). So had minor 85,000 mile service. I could probably wait until I actually get to 90,000 miles before going all out on major service then?

I had the serpentine belt replaced a year or so ago and brake pads last January, so overall I think I'm okay?

Have the service advisor itemize exactly what they plan on doing at that service and compare it to the factory maintenance schedule in the link I provided above. Many times, the dealership will add "extra" service that the car doesn't need or worse, doesn't apply to the car. Most of the dealer service "packages" are inspects that you can do yourself.

As for the serpentine belt and pads still being OK - have to take a peek and see for yourself. Exceptionally hard to put a mileage or length of service on any part of the car. As different diving conditions and quality of part can affect those numbers. I've seen belts go out in less than a year/12K miles and front brake pads burn up in less than 15K miles - or as long 7 years / 200K miles on the OEM belt and well over 120K miles on the original front brake pads. It all depends on what parts were installed and the driving conditions the car was subjected to.

I also have a 98 with 170K miles on it, love the car I take it to redline and past often , I spin the tires and get a bit of smoke when it is wet. I love the car, I have ran it a few times, bunch of highway rolls. (know it's bad). I love the car my wife hate's it and drives my new car. LOL I have not done much but, plugs alot, wires, batt, I change the oil every 6 months cause it does not get but 29 miles a week, due to me having another daily driver. I do need the serp belt done cause it is making noise. Just keep oil clean and topped off, plugs changed, belts strong, and nice tires, and you will be fine, it this car blows up on me I will part ways with it to a junk yard. Until then I will redline and even bounce it of redline when I have fun.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)