Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Dave, November 17, 2010

Sweet, looks pretty nice! Surprising that it took two model years before this generation was face-lifted. But seeing as this model was out a couple of years before the North American models hit - makes sense for a refresh.

I like the look of the steering wheel better in this gen 10.5 Corolla, looks sportier, easier to hold onto. Not feeling the front end redesign - looks sort of like a Mazda or Dodge from the split grille. Front lip, lower grille, and new fogs make for a sharper look - more sporty. Larger front lamp assemblies front balances the look a little better. Like the slightly revised rocker panels, the smaller rear lamp assemblies that don't stick out a mile and have the two toned look, coupled with the chrome accent is a nice touch. Rear lower garnish/diffuser is a nice touch - looks like a Mitsubishi, but lot better than the "butt-crack" lip design of the previous 10th gen. Looks like they dropped the Optitron lighting for the gauge cluster as well - went to a more conventional look.

Interesting that they dropped the XRS and XLE variants - sticking with only three trims. Killing off the 5-speed auto (XRS) and sticking with the smaller engine seems counter-intuitive in this market. Most of the Corolla's competition's base models have more more and 5-speed autos. Sounds like a step back for Corollas. Could mean a major redesign/reintroduction of a much sportier/performance oriented Corolla coming out.

How does one say "butt ugly" in Japanese? Oh, forget the Japanese bit; this refresh is rubbish!

Its face reminds me of a Manta Ray with a busted lip. And what's with those rims? Each spoke looks like fingers crossed. Good grief.

I'd say Toyota have given up on the Corolla. My '09's styling is brilliant compared to this nonsense. Toyota have made it into that blind date with the "great personality". It's a car that if it was a person, would look sexier wearing glasses.

What a shame. And we waited so long for this, too. Bugger.

• 320 posts

Harsh, Mike!

I like the looks, personally... not so sure about the tail; it looks good except for the protruding tail-lights. (I added two new photos of the rear, from the LA car show, thanks to Ray Alexander.)

I think it looks pretty nice.

The front end did remind me of my friend's Mazda 6.

I like that it comes with a USB and AUX jack for charging devices or listening to an MP3 player.

Harsh, Mike!

I like the looks, personally... not so sure about the tail; it looks good except for the protruding tail-lights. (I added two new photos of the rear, from the LA car show, thanks to Ray Alexander.)

I've read where Akio Toyoda commanded his stylists to bring a "familial" look to every vehicle. In other words, he wants the Corolla to look like the Camry, but ended up with a Salvador Dali-like Dodge front end and a previous-generation Mazda 6 rear end. Good grief, even Hyundai have figured out a unique look and feel without the need to steal from other design bureaus.

For Toyota to be a design leader, they should leave the souls of their concept vehicles intact in their production models. But, they don't DO that, do they? Compare the concept iQ with the production version, and you'll clearly see my point in the matter. 2011 Corolla refresh? L-A-M-E.

Think I'm being harsh? Fair enough. But before you close the book on my opinion, ask yourself why the Brazilians get a far better mid-cycle refresh than we do here in the states. Want proof? See their new 2.0 liter, flex-fueled, paddle-shifted 2011 Corolla here: http://www.novocorolla.com.br/

I can't really say what I think of it at this point. I guess I'd have to examine one in person. The front-end seems alright to me, but I'm not so sure I like the rear treatment. I don't like spoilers on cars, as I think the only thing they "spoil" is the car's appearance. Do they have any actual effect when driving at highway speeds? If so, what is it?

I think the best looking Corolla by far is the 9th generation -- like my '03. Just saying -- your mileage will vary, of course.

The interior looks good but I don't care for the body. Looks odd to me.

Topic List