Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Zzzzzing Noise From Engine Bay

by Robert Lortz February 16, 2010

See every reply in these pages:

• 54 posts

Mine makes an annoying jingly noise in gear with the brake applied...

A/C clutch is the culprit... hopefully when I get a condenser and get the system oiled and charged... and the clutch cycles a few times... it'll quit.

It's embarrassingly loud, and the only real noisy thing about the car except for the rattling front end (that goes away when I hit the brakes).

i actually had the same problem, kind of like a rattling noise at the higher rpms of the gears, i tried cleaning the ocv and all myself, turns out it was a rod bearing, im actually working on either rebuilding or swinging the motor now, so.. either take it to a shop or if youre fairly good with mechanics, take a look at them

hmm, well i think i want to clean out my ocv filter for funzies as well, but i have to wait until i can get a belt tensioner,

mine works fine but the socket part that you use to release the tension broke off while attempting to get the belt off, so i have a new belt, and once i get the new tensioner i will be taking my old belt off and my alternator off so i can get at the filter, and i should have a digital voltameter by then to test the ocv plunger thingy right above it

mine works fine but the socket part that you use to release the tension broke off while attempting to get the belt off

Don't you hate that? There's always something...I'm working on a real whopper myself now; will post when it's finished.

yea, i just ordered a brand new tensioner cause when i went to meineke they said my belt tensioner was leaking or something so this just kinda settled it, so i bought a new one that has a flat headed spring or something, it's supposed to be good, i also bought a new oxygen sensor cause i had to take it off to get to the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe and when i looked at it, it was CAKED with hella white stuff, so i figure replacing it couldn't hurt, my next project is an exhaust sytem, i figure trying to weld one together myself is a little out of my league so i'm going to go price shopping at shops, but until then if anyone knows if there is a bolt on exhaust system for a 2000 toyota corolla ce please tell me i would love to get it, i also want a good quality one, my exhaust system is something i don't want to cheap out on

Guest JGARMD

yea, i just ordered a brand new tensioner cause when i went to meineke they said my belt tensioner was leaking or something so this just kinda settled it, so i bought a new one that has a flat headed spring or something, it's supposed to be good, i also bought a new oxygen sensor cause i had to take it off to get to the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe and when i looked at it, it was CAKED with hella white stuff, so i figure replacing it couldn't hurt, my next project is an exhaust sytem, i figure trying to weld one together myself is a little out of my league so i'm going to go price shopping at shops, but until then if anyone knows if there is a bolt on exhaust system for a 2000 toyota corolla ce please tell me i would love to get it, i also want a good quality one, my exhaust system is something i don't want to cheap out on

Hey RL. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the EXACT same issue with my 99 Corolla CE and have been trying to determine the problem. 4 years ago, I had a problem with a broken axle, and when taking the car to the shop the issue was misdiagnosed as being faulty engine mounts. This "misdiagnoses" was made years before any apparent sounds coming from the engine. So now I'm wondering if this is now the issue. You letting me know the outcome of your car would save me a tremendous amount of time time and effort. Thanks!

Topic List