Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Toyota Red

by Sonix, August 16, 2008

I have a corolla with red coolant, is there any way to tell if it is Toyota red or dexcool? When I ask for Toyota red at a service station they say yes that's what they use, only to see them use dexcool or some other.

I plan on changing it myself and would just like to do a drain and fill.

Bikeman982

I have a corolla with red coolant, is there any way to tell if it is Toyota red or dexcool? When I ask for Toyota red at a service station they say yes that's what they use, only to see them use dexcool or some other.

I plan on changing it myself and would just like to do a drain and fill.

If you are going to change it yourself, then what is in it now should not matter.

Just drain and fill with what you want.

Thanks, I was thinking it was like transmission fluid and if I did a drain and fill there would be a lot of old(possibly dexcool) coolant in the colling system.

I didn't want to mention it because some may not approve, but I also plan on using a pella extractor where you slide a tube down the dip stick or in this case radiator. I live in a condo complex where you can't work on your car, so I'm thinking using an extractor may be better than not doing anything or mixing coolant.

A few years ago I bought a car that had green over red(made mud) and it was a mess to get totally green.

If I remember right dexcool is green, can anyone confirm? If so then its likely toyota red thats in it.

If I remember right dexcool is green, can anyone confirm? If so then its likely toyota red thats in it.
dexcool, toyota red, and volkwagen/audi G12 are all nearly the same color...but different chemistries.

dexcool, toyota red, and volkwagen/audi G12 are all nearly the same color...but different chemistries.

The Dexcool in my Saturns was orange.

The Dexcool in my Saturns was orange.

it looks reddish in the coolant resivoir, but yes its actually orange.

Bikeman982

Thanks, I was thinking it was like transmission fluid and if I did a drain and fill there would be a lot of old(possibly dexcool) coolant in the colling system.

I didn't want to mention it because some may not approve, but I also plan on using a pella extractor where you slide a tube down the dip stick or in this case radiator. I live in a condo complex where you can't work on your car, so I'm thinking using an extractor may be better than not doing anything or mixing coolant.

A few years ago I bought a car that had green over red(made mud) and it was a mess to get totally green.

If you drain coolant from the top (using vaccuum), it won't get out as much coolant as from the drain plug on the bottom.

Use a hose and attach it to the drain plug and then run it into a jug/bottle/pan. You can take it to a recycling place.

Ok thanks for clarifying the color. Is it prestone thats green?

I don't know about old Prestone, but the new universal stuff is a bright yellowish green color.  That's what I'm using.

I don't know about old Prestone, but the new universal stuff is a bright yellowish green color. That's what I'm using.

Ok thanks.

Bikeman982

I use Prestone and it is yellowish green.

That's the only kind I have ever used.

Go blow a few extra dollars and go buy some Toy Red from the Stearlership.

I have heard they use specific chemistries for their cars.

My 1.5 cents.

Bikeman982

Go blow a few extra dollars and go buy some Toy Red from the Stearlership. I have heard they use specific chemistries for their cars.

My 1.5 cents.

What would be the advantage, if the Prestone is cheaper and works just as well??

Topic List