• 42+ MPG Excellent!
    • 39-41 MPG Very nice
    • 36-38 MPG Nice
    • 33-35 MPG Good
    • 30-32 MPG OK
    • under 30 - Hummmmm?

See every reply in these pages:

Hey Pawk,

Which blend of Mobil 1 and how often do you replace it? I just switched to Mobil 1 (enhanced fuel economy) 4K miles ago.

--Hugh

The extended formula, or whatever their nomenclature....

Drained every fall and spring which usually falls somewhere between 3000-5000 miles

Hey Pawk,

Which blend of Mobil 1 and how often do you replace it? I just switched to Mobil 1 (enhanced fuel economy) 4K miles ago.

--Hugh

2005 Corolla CE with 5 speed manual, synthetic oil, BP regular gas (100% gas, no ethanol), properly inflated half-worn stock-size tires, 32 mile commute each way (65% hwy, 35% city) I get 36 mpg (with air on). Last trip to see folks got me 41 mpg. This winter, turning off the air will buy me 2 mpg...but it was 103 when I got off work Thursday, so thank goodness for that air conditioner!

Bikeman982

On my 1994, I have almost 180,000 miles, and the 1.8L engine, automatic.

It still gets 29MPG combination highway and back roads.

I burn the cheapest 87 octane rated fuel I can find.

The only mods I have made is to change tires to 70 series from 65 series.

My daily average is low (27 - 29 MPG) because it's 100% short-trip, stop & go city driving, with zero highway included. My highway mileage is great -- just completed a trip to Buffalo from my home in Dover, DE, a 450-mile one-way trip. Observed 39 MPG going up and 40.5 MPG coming back. Mileage going up was lower due to the need to run the A/C for a couple of hours during the first part of the trip. I've seen highway mileage as high as 44 MPG, but that was achieved by driving a LOT slower than usual, only 62 - 65 MPH (100 - 105 kph).

BTW my '03 Corolla is coming up on 6 years old (from date of purchase) and has less than 58,000 miles on it!

Bikeman982

My daily average is low (27 - 29 MPG) because it's 100% short-trip, stop & go city driving, with zero highway included. My highway mileage is great -- just completed a trip to Buffalo from my home in Dover, DE, a 450-mile one-way trip. Observed 39 MPG going up and 40.5 MPG coming back. Mileage going up was lower due to the need to run the A/C for a couple of hours during the first part of the trip. I've seen highway mileage as high as 44 MPG, but that was achieved by driving a LOT slower than usual, only 62 - 65 MPH (100 - 105 kph).

BTW my '03 Corolla is coming up on 6 years old (from date of purchase) and has less than 58,000 miles on it!

Don't forget that going up also includes driving against the prevailing winds.

Yes, I did it! 42.2 MPG on my trip to LA default_cool

I am still getting 35 MPG with my usual around town driving + freeway cruising.

--Hugh

On a recent family vacation driving almost exclusively on the highway, I got 43.2 MPG (I can hardly believe it myself!) with a '97 Prizm with the 1.8 litre engine and the 4 speed automatic!!! But, I purposely never drove over 60 MPH and I didn't use the A/C at all!!!! This was the figure I came up with after the pump shut off for the first time. It dropped slightly when I gave the gas nozzle an extra squeeze to top the tank off. (42.5 MPG)

My usual highway mileage is around 34 to 38 MPG with an average speed of 65 to 75 MPH and generous use of the air conditioner.

Over 40 MPG is definitely possible, but, it's not always practical in real world driving.

Now, if only I could get my city mileage over 25 MPG!!!!

the reason i like my 93 corolla with a 1.6 and a 5 speed is that it averages 35-40 m.p.g. in mixed driving. My kids car has a 1.8 with an automatic and only gets 34 on the highway and maybe 30 in the city.

the reason i like my 93 corolla with a 1.6 and a 5 speed is that it averages 35-40 m.p.g. in mixed driving. My kids car has a 1.8 with an automatic and only gets 34 on the highway and maybe 30 in the city.

Unfortunately, most of us Corolla owners have automatic transmissions, which do put somewhat of a damper on overall mileage, although even the 3 speed automatic Corollas still get very good mileage overall.

I think that a lot of Corolla owners that claim 35-40 mpg have 5 speed manuals and may assume that we already know this.

Guest CorollaFamily

We live in NYC and do a lot of city driving. Still manage to get around 24.5 MPG intown. Only have 800 miles on the car. No road trips yet.

We live in NYC and do a lot of city driving. Still manage to get around 24.5 MPG intown. Only have 800 miles on the car. No road trips yet.

Hey Family,

Welcome to Corolland.

When you get a chance, fill in your signature and location (under My Controls) then everyone will know what you are driving and where.

--Hugh

Bikeman982

Is that your mileage, or total miles for the car??

If it is total miles - it is still getting broken in.

I recently bought a 1997 4A-FE (5 spd).

At my last fillup it got 35.342 MPG in combined city/hwy driving.

JT

Bikeman982

I recently bought a 1997 4A-FE (5 spd).At my last fillup it got 35.342 MPG in combined city/hwy driving.

JT

Another fine example of the benefits of a 7th generation (1993 - 1997) Corolla.

Topic List