Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By smittay17, December 23, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

********************UPDATE - Jan. 7th *****************************

So i took everyone's advice and called corporate toyota and they actually made a special provision for me to get a new tensioner for my 03 corolla outside of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

BUT... its still making the sqeaking/squealing noise as described above!! what the heck can it be ???

i have an appt. with them tues morning tomorrow and i need your guys adivce and help once again...

- this squeaking/squealing is only apparent AFTER driving for 5-10 minutes.

- it is ONLY when the car is in DRIVE with the brakes on

- i have to have the door open to hear it

- it squeals and the dashboard shakes

- it goes away when i put it in PARK

- it will stop temporarily when i turn the steering wheel

- and is DIRECTLY related to when i put the brakes on in DRIVE,

- in DRIVE without brakes = no noise

ANY IDEAS? i have an appt. with toyota tomorrow. Jan. 8th - they changed the serpentine belt, gave me a new tensioner for my 03 corolla, they cleaned my brakes... what could it be??

what do you guys think?

thanks so much again - i really really appreciate all your help!!!! default_smile

erik

Hmm - that is a toughy. A couple of more questions to get a better idea of what is going on.

- Does it do this in other gears other than drive - like reverse, or L2, or L?

- What happens if you shift into drive with the brakes depressed, then lightly step on the gas pedal (brake torqueing the car) - does it get worse or better?

- Have you tried the same thing with the A/C turned on - does it get better or worse?

- Have you tried it with the hood up and see if the engine shakes excessively when you hear the sound?

- What RPMs does the car drop to when you shift into drive with your foot on the brake?

- What RPMs do you see when the car is idling and in park?

Hard to tell without being right there - could still be a bad tensioner or belt. Some have switched from the OEM Bando belt to a Goodyear Gatorback belt with good results. Could be the idler pulley making noise - sometimes this pulley will leak grease from it's bearing - sometimes not. Could also be an idle issue - in drive with foot on brakes, idle speed should be around 650-750 RPMs - can be a little bit higher when in park - but usually around the 750-850 RPMs range (engine completely warmed up). If too low, can cause all kinds of vibrations that can kick up a resonance in the chassis or engine bay, making something produce some noise. Could be metal heatshield, bushing, or motor mount making this noise.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)