Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Bikeman982, November 14, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Since my latest project car is pretty much completed and almost sold, I found another.

It was listed on Craigs list for sale for $800. The seller wanted $500 if in cash.

I went there with the intention to purchase it (providing it was not totally trashed).

I paid $350 and hope that is a good deal. The engine/tranny had been removed - tranny bad.

I do have the parts and will be doing some posting of pictures and descriptions as work progresses on it.

The tough part on this car (so far) was towing it with my Kar Kaddy. The wheels were held on only by the shocks/struts and the tie rods.

The brace was off and the control arms were disconnected.

The wheels were mostly flat and the stock ones were gone. It had three donut tires on it (I used one from my car).

The car swayed back and forth as I towed it about 50 miles at an average speed of 50 MPH.

Tomorrow I will do a complete check out of the car and make a list of everything needing repair/replacement, etc.

Pictures to be posted.

Whew! That sounds a little rough - but for $350, not too bad. Hopefully the rest of the car is sound, ie. good interior and exterior body panels. Can't wait to see some pics.

Bikeman982

Here ya go -

loving the wheels on it man, needs a chain steering wheel and some hydrolics.

Bikeman982

loving the wheels on it man, needs a chain steering wheel and some hydrolics.
The wheels will get changed. The back ones on it have been spray painted silver.

My plan is to get stock rims and buy four new tires for it.

The car was left in S. Sac. and all four custom wheels were stolen.

The current ones are mis-matched and also not the right size.

The little donut tire is a temporary until I get the rims/tires.

Not bad - body looks like it is in pretty good shape. Should be quite a build up project - as most of the driveline is gone. Good luck on the rebuild.

Bikeman982

Today I took the old tranny to the repair shop.

I also took the old tranny from the last project car - hopefully one can be salvaged.

I also got a key made today.

I took the door lock out and brought it to a locksmith.

For only $42.40 the locksmith made a key.

The key also (luckily) works on the ignition (but not on the trunk).

How many people have a 1996 that have only one key for the doors and the ignition?

How many have two keys? Is there another for the trunk, or is it supposed to be the same??

This is my first 1996.

Other parts needed are: O2 sensors, drive shaft (short one is missing),

driver's side outside door handle, all the speakers (and the radio), all 4 tires, etc.

I put in the grille the little "Toyota" symbol - it was missing and I had one from the junk yard.

The body is in fairly good shape - no dents - just some chips and scratches.

I can touch those up with a little white paint (nail polish works).

Right now I have the cross member and engine brace off and am trying to get all the dirt/grease off.

They are quite a mess. I want them clean, prior to installation.

The engine is in my garage and I have started cleaning that up as well.

I found the exhaust manifold cracked (see my other post for a picture).

Once I get the car in the garage, I will put the car up on jack stands and ramps and I will put the engine/tranny in.

After that will be fine touch-ups such as door handle and also radiator, radio, and of course, a battery.

Updates to follow.

Probably someone replaced one of the locks. GM is the only one that I can remember that had two separate keys for the doors and trunk - PITA.

I don't remember Toyota ever having two separate keys on a 7th gen or even earlier. My early Celica and a 1996 Camry both had a single key for both ignition, doors, and trunk.

Bikeman982

Probably someone replaced one of the locks. GM is the only one that I can remember that had two separate keys for the doors and trunk - PITA.

I don't remember Toyota ever having two separate keys on a 7th gen or even earlier. My early Celica and a 1996 Camry both had a single key for both ignition, doors, and trunk.

The driver's side door lock is missing the tumbler and the outside handle is broken.

My plan is to get another front left outside door handle (probably from e-Bay or junkyard).

I will pick up a replacement lock from a local junkyard and get a key made.

Would it be too inconvenient for a prospective owner to have three keys?

One for the driver's door, one for the passenger's door (and ignition) and one for the trunk.

Maybe I should just go to the junkyard and get both door locks, and the trunk lock and get a key made.?

That would make a good key for the ignition and another key for all the other locks.

I have never taken out an ignition switch and would probably do that if it was easy enough.

Bikeman982

The car is in the garage. It has a little damage due to the movement into the garage.

I had two helpers - one helped me push the car, the other to steer the 4-ton jack.

We jacked up the front end (no steering) and pushed it out into the street.

Backing up into the driveway the jack wheels got caught on the lip if the sidewalk.

Unfortunately the car slid off the jack and the jack handle hit the person steering it and also hit the car.

The individual got a cut under his chin, the car suffered damage to the front bumper and a scrape on the hood.

A trip to the hospital emergency room provided medical superglue for the cut.

I am not sure what to do about the cracked bumper and marked hood.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I put two good tires on the rims and put them on the rear of the car.

I got a quote for the transaxle repair - $985, due to the case being cracked.

It is non-buildable and would need a new case.

I also got a quote to repair the transaxle from my last project car (same A131L transaxle, 3-speed, no overdrive) - $2275 for both.

The transmission shop also has a third transaxle that they can rebuild and will sell for $650.

I might go for that. Still looking for other sources for a cheaper transaxle - A131L, 3-speed, no overdrive.

Anyone know of a good transaxle supplier?

Guest Rusty

I put two good tires on the rims and put them on the rear of the car.I got a quote for the transaxle repair - $985, due to the case being cracked.

I also got a quote to repair the transaxle from my last project car (same A131L transaxle, 3-speed, no overdrive) - $2275 for both.

The transmission shop also has a third transaxle that they can rebuild ans will sell for $650.

I might go for that. Still looking for other sources for a cheaper transaxle - A131L, 3-speed, no overdrive.

I saw on ebay some transmissions, guaranteed for 350. Do a google search for junk yards. 650 is seems too high. I have seen transmissions for my vette for less than that.

Bikeman982

I put two good tires on the rims and put them on the rear of the car.I got a quote for the transaxle repair - $985, due to the case being cracked.

The transmission shop also has a third transaxle that they can rebuild ans will sell for $650.

I saw on ebay some transmissions, guaranteed for 350. Do a google search for junk yards. 650 is seems too high. I have seen transmissions for my vette for less than that.

I can get used ones for less, but their condition is questionable.

Remanufactured ones cost more, but they have been gone over and are guaranteed to work.

New ones are waaay too expensive.

It is true that you can get some cheaper ones from e-bay, but after paying for shipping, they end up costing around $700.00.

Bikeman982

Update:

Put the transaxle onto the engine and started to install them into the car.

I don't have the adapter plate that goes between the transaxle and the mount on the driver's side.

The car was missing a few parts when I picked it up and that was one of them.

I will have to take a trip to the local junkyard and see if I can find one.

Once I have the transaxle bracket I can put the other mounts on it and start assembling car.

The cross brace and control arm has to be put back on as well as the electrical wiring.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Went to the local junkyard today and got more parts.

Ran out of time before I can get the part I really needed - the bracket between the transaxle and the mount.

I will have to go back and get one.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

The driver's side door handle is broken and not usable, so I removed it.

I picked up a replacement at the local junkyard, from a red 1993 Corolla.

I think I will have to paint it black to match.

The handle cost $7.94 (25% off on Wednesdays). I removed it myself.

I also picked up a couple of speaker covers (still need a radio and some speakers).

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Anyone have an old stock radio and/or speakers from their car?

The stock radio (radio only no cassette, no CD) from wife's 7th gen has been lying around since we put a CD player in. I can let it go unless she has plans for it.

I saw in another post that your project car was missing a clock as well as the white plug. My guess is all cars will come pre-wired for everything irrespective of the trim because it's cheaper for automated manufacturing to function that way. Our Corolla did not have a rear window defroster, but was wired for it. So good chance that somebody parted the clock out before you got to it and snipped the wires instead of disconnecting the plug. When I bought my clock on eBay, it came with the white plug and an inch of cleanly cut wires. If you can figure out if the clock wires are present, I can give you the extra white plug that I have. I also have the clock delete cover if you decide against the clock.

Bikeman982

The stock radio (radio only no cassette, no CD) from wife's 7th gen has been lying around since we put a CD player in. I can let it go unless she has plans for it.

I saw in another post that your project car was missing a clock as well as the white plug. My guess is all cars will come pre-wired for everything irrespective of the trim because it's cheaper for automated manufacturing to function that way. Our Corolla did not have a rear window defroster, but was wired for it. So good chance that somebody parted the clock out before you got to it and snipped the wires instead of disconnecting the plug. When I bought my clock on eBay, it came with the white plug and an inch of cleanly cut wires. If you can figure out if the clock wires are present, I can give you the extra white plug that I have. I also have the clock delete cover if you decide against the clock.

I kind of like the radio with cassette player version for my cars.

I look for the clock wires and on a couple of cars found them.

The wires seemed to be missing on some cars and I don't put the clock in them.

I do have the connector and wires as well as extra clocks.

Thanks for the offers.

Let me know if you find a radio with cassette player as well as the brackets to mount it with.

I got some speakers today at the local junkyard, but no radio yet.

Bikeman982

Today I got the adapter bracket from the junkyard and put it on the transaxle.

I need to lower the engine/tranny a little to connect the bracket to the mount.

After that I can put the control arms and brace back on and try to line up the other mounts.

That can sometimes be a little difficult.

Of course the main electrical harness has to be installed in the engine compartment.

The radiator has to go in as well as the alternator, A/C compressor and some other components.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I attempted to put the bracket between the transaxle and the mount and found that it was the incorrect one.

Apparantly it came from a 6th generation Corolla and was not an exact match for the 7th generation.

Since there were none at the local junkyard, I decided to do some modification.

I drilled out the plate on the transaxle mount to line up with the hole on the bracket.

It worked just fine and now is mounted in the car.

The problem I have now is that I need the rear bracket that holds the transaxle mount as well as the front mount.

I will check my garage and yard to see if I have one, otherwise it is back to the junkyard to search for them.

I did start to connect the main electrical harness to the engine, etc.

There is a couple of bad (or missing) connectors and they will need replacing.

I will also have to change the wires to the Park/Neutral switch connector, or change the switch.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I was planning on visiting the local junkyard again tomorrow, but weather has been rain and forecast is for more.

I may wait another week to get those parts.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

No work done on the project car lately due to work and bad weather.

The local junkyard is closed on Christmas (the only day of the year it is closed).

I may go back on Wednesday (providing I am not working).

I need transaxle mount brackets and also a mount.

Still looking for a radio (was outbid on one on e-Bay).

Once I get some more parts, more assembly required.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Update - no new progress - Christmas and work.

Still looking for tranny mount and brackets.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Went to the local junkyard and got brackets and mounts.

Need one of these -

It is the Ignition Neutral Safety Switch that goes on the transaxle and controls signals for the park/neutral and back-up positions of the shifter.

When I had the transaxle rebuilt the shop did not keep the old one (normally swapped out) and I need to locate one.

It is for the 1993-1997 Corolla 1.6L 4A-FE 3-speed automatic, no overdrive A131L transaxle.

Anyone have one or can get one for me for cheaper than a new one??

Topic List