Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Is Toyota Building Cars For Old Farts Only?

By gvr4ever, October 29, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

• 1,424 posts
So you would want two cars - one for show and the other for incliment weather?

That is actually quite common around many parts of the country where there are long winters with snow and more snow.

Most people don't drive well in snow, and so the thought is that since accidents are more common in the winter, it is better to have a less nice car that you drive as a winter beater. If someone else hits you and the car gets banged up, who cares? Your other nicer car is still intact and it doesn't get exposed to salt and other environmental hazards.

Of course the downside to this is that you have to drive a less nice car all winter and because you have two cars, your vehicle costs like gas, insurance and repairs are higher. If you have a fairly nice car as a beater like a low mileage Prizm in good condition, it is kind of difficult to afford a better car for your second car unless you make a lot of money or live with your parents or something.

Bikeman982

That is actually quite common around many parts of the country where there are long winters with snow and more snow.

Most people don't drive well in snow, and so the thought is that since accidents are more common in the winter, it is better to have a less nice car that you drive as a winter beater. If someone else hits you and the car gets banged up, who cares? Your other nicer car is still intact and it doesn't get exposed to salt and other environmental hazards.

Of course the downside to this is that you have to drive a less nice car all winter and because you have two cars, your vehicle costs like gas, insurance and repairs are higher. If you have a fairly nice car as a beater like a low mileage Prizm in good condition, it is kind of difficult to afford a better car for your second car unless you make a lot of money or live with your parents or something.

Pretty good standard of living if you can all afford two cars.

Some people feel lucky if they have enough money for one car and can pay the insurance, registration, maintenance and especially gas costs.

Pretty good standard of living if you can all afford two cars.

Some people feel lucky if they have enough money for one car and can pay the insurance, registration, maintenance and especially gas costs.

Uh, if you have two cars, then only one is being driven at a time. It's not like you gotta double the gas just cause you have two cars. A lot of ins companies give brakes for having two cars too. It does cost more then one, but it shouldn't double.

Bikeman982

True, the cost is not double, but it is more, to own two cars.

True, the cost is not double, but it is more, to own two cars.

Depends on the car. Owning two cars is not some huge luxury. I have two cars for myself, but one has been paid off for years and the other has a really low payment and is close to being paid off. They require a few repairs every now and then, but I do almost all of it, and it is far from expensive. Cheaper then most people spend on one car. Even with the extra gas, ins, and upkeep.

I wouldn't say its impossible to own two cars, but it definately costs more. Even with multi-car insurance plans, the insurance companies are still going to jack up your rates. It doesn't matter if you can prove that you're the only driver and you're driving the same amount per year, just split between 2 cars. Then you got the state slapping other annoying fees like plate fees, emission inspections, registration, etc. Having two cars, even if both are paid off, can cost you an extra $500 or more each year.

I wouldn't say its impossible to own two cars, but it definately costs more. Even with multi-car insurance plans, the insurance companies are still going to jack up your rates. It doesn't matter if you can prove that you're the only driver and you're driving the same amount per year, just split between 2 cars. Then you got the state slapping other annoying fees like plate fees, emission inspections, registration, etc. Having two cars, even if both are paid off, can cost you an extra $500 or more each year.

I guess it depends on how one looks at finances. Plates in our state are around $150 each car. We don't have emission inspections, but when we lived in IL, they were free. So, I guess it depends on what state you live in.

Either way, having no or little car payments on two cars and having to pay double the plate fee's isn't going to cost more then taking out a loan on a brand new car and making monthly payments. Also, with my ins, new cars cost more to ins then older cars. I'm also over 25 with a perfect driving record too, so payments are cheap for me no matter what. I guess I compare to when I was younger with a different ins company. I'm pretty sure I used to pay more for one car then I pay now for three cars, and home ins combined.

$500 is no more then two car payments. Rather low payments at that. I don't know too many people who buy a new, or almost new car that have less then $250 a month car payments.

Bikeman982

I guess it depends on how one looks at finances. Plates in our state are around $150 each car. We don't have emission inspections, but when we lived in IL, they were free. So, I guess it depends on what state you live in.

Either way, having no or little car payments on two cars and having to pay double the plate fee's isn't going to cost more then taking out a loan on a brand new car and making monthly payments. Also, with my ins, new cars cost more to ins then older cars. I'm also over 25 with a perfect driving record too, so payments are cheap for me no matter what. I guess I compare to when I was younger with a different ins company. I'm pretty sure I used to pay more for one car then I pay now for three cars, and home ins combined.

$500 is no more then two car payments. Rather low payments at that. I don't know too many people who buy a new, or almost new car that have less then $250 a month car payments.

Two cars do cost more, although if there are no car payments, it is not too much more.

Insurance and gas are the larger expenses, as well as maintenance.

If I lived in a state that had bad weather (snow - salted roads), I would have a beater car for the winter.

That makes a great deal of sense and the nicer car would not get ruined (would tend to last longer).

I usually have a project car I work on, a daily driver, my motorcycle, an RV (motorhome) and of course numerous bicycles.

The bicycles are the best when it comes to cost of ownership, but they are limited on what can be carried on them.

I have not made a car payment since I purchased a new minivan in 1990.

My first car cost me $40 to buy (a used 1963 Pontiac Le Mans).

I don't think there are many (if any) new cars that have only $250 a month for payments.

Insurance is cheaper for older cars and also being over 25 has some benefits as well.

Having multiple cars insured by the same company can give discounts as well as low yaerly miles and good driving records.

Overall, it is nice to have a high enough standard of living to be able to own a car, or even two.

Two cars do cost more, although if there are no car payments, it is not too much more.

Insurance and gas are the larger expenses, as well as maintenance.

If I lived in a state that had bad weather (snow - salted roads), I would have a beater car for the winter.

That makes a great deal of sense and the nicer car would not get ruined (would tend to last longer).

I usually have a project car I work on, a daily driver, my motorcycle, an RV (motorhome) and of course numerous bicycles.

The bicycles are the best when it comes to cost of ownership, but they are limited on what can be carried on them.

I have not made a car payment since I purchased a new minivan in 1990.

My first car cost me $40 to buy (a used 1963 Pontiac Le Mans).

I don't think there are many (if any) new cars that have only $250 a month for payments.

Insurance is cheaper for older cars and also being over 25 has some benefits as well.

Having multiple cars insured by the same company can give discounts as well as low yaerly miles and good driving records.

Overall, it is nice to have a high enough standard of living to be able to own a car, or even two.

Well, not counting our new Corolla, cause that is mainly the wifes car. I have two cars for myself. One is paid off, and the other has a car payment of about 180 a month. Last time I checked, my two cars are WAY cheaper then the 05 Corolla.

It all depends on what two cars is being compared to one car.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else