Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Prizm Cluster Swap, Same As Corolla?

by randini667, September 8, 2007

Hello,

I read a majority of the posts about tachometer clusters and swaping clusters, and the sort... I didn't find any topics that specifially address the 2001 Prizm cluster.

What I have: 2001 Prizm. 5 Speed Manual. Cluster with MPH only (no tach).

What I want: 2001 Prizm. 5 Speed Manual. Cluster with tach and MPH.

My local parts yard has a "2001 Prizm tach cluster" available, but he didn't seem to think the "upgrade" would work. Can anyone with Prizm specific experience inform me if this will work "plug and play" just like the corolla expereinces?

Thanks for the time

-Ran

PS: I read 1993 Prizm cluster swap, but that is the previous generation.

It should work. With luck you can even use a cluster from a 01 or 02 Corolla. Just transfer the speedo.

If your defroster switch is separate from the A/C console, then get a 98-00 cluster. There are electrical differences between them.

It should work. With luck you can even use a cluster from a 01 or 02 Corolla. Just transfer the speedo.

If your defroster switch is separate from the A/C console, then get a 98-00 cluster. There are electrical differences between them.

Thanks for the tip. I can verify that my defroster is within the A/C console, so the 2001 Prizm cluster I am purchasing tomorrow sounds like the proper match.

The swap was a piece of cake. Wow, I can't believe it. The odometer and everything.

(I used a 2001 prizm cluster)

-Randy

K_Watson

So you Odometer reading did not change?

The swap was a piece of cake. Wow, I can't believe it. The odometer and everything.

-Randy

Meaning you don't even need to transfer the speedo? That's unheard of. default_ohmy

Bikeman982

Nice to know for all the Prizm owners.

You can swap an instrument cluster for one with a tach - straight swap.

-Randy

Meaning you don't even need to transfer the speedo? That's unheard of. default_ohmy

I did transfer my speedo over. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

-Ran

Bikeman982

-Randy

I did transfer my speedo over. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

-Ran

You mean you took the old speedometer out of the cluster and put it in the new cluster?

Is that so you kept the correct miles, or because the speedometer from the new cluster was not usable?

You mean you took the old speedometer out of the cluster and put it in the new cluster?

Is that so you kept the correct miles, or because the speedometer from the new cluster was not usable?

I will paraphrase your question as my answer:

I mean I took the original speedometer out of the original non-tach-cluster and put it in the new tach-cluster.

Yes, so that I kept the correct miles.

-Randy

Bikeman982

I will paraphrase your question as my answer:

I mean I took the original speedometer out of the original non-tach-cluster and put it in the new tach-cluster.

Yes, so that I kept the correct miles.

-Randy

But the new cluster speedometer would have also worked? Just not the same miles?

I checked with the CA DMV (Registry) and they told me a car that is 10 years old (or older) does not need mileage verification.

I have changed instrument clusters with ones from the junkyard that had less miles on it.

On one of the cars I sold, I turned the odometer back to Zero, and that's how I sold the car.

Of course those were 7th generagtion (1993-1997) and over 10 years old.

I also have two clusters in my garage that have less than 100,000 miles on them.

I saw a Corolla instrument cluster with a tach for my car on e-Bay, but they want $125 plus $20 S&H for it.

I will look for one at the local junkyard (I always check, but no luck there) for one with a tach.

My son put an aftermarket tach from an auto parts store in his car, mounted on the dash.

I think it is god, but I would never put holes in my dash to mount one.

The bad thing about it is that a red light comes on when it is time to shift (his car is standard).

Unfortunately the light stays on when in the last gear above a certain RPM and it is distracting (especially at night).

I would prefer to swap my instrument cluster, as you have.

Firstly, I have a prizm, just to remind you. I am no expert in knowing the fine line between corollas and prizms.

About the cluster... I can't answer that question about the speedo. I didn't try the new speedo with need cluster. ATM I don't have time to try it out, plus I'm a little hesatiant to keep unplugging and plugging things.

I agree with your note about aftermarket tachs... I prefered the in cluster tach.

Got my cluster at the used parts yard for $40.

-Ran

Bikeman982

Firstly, I have a prizm, just to remind you. I am no expert in knowing the fine line between corollas and prizms.

About the cluster... I can't answer that question about the speedo. I didn't try the new speedo with need cluster. ATM I don't have time to try it out, plus I'm a little hesatiant to keep unplugging and plugging things.

I agree with your note about aftermarket tachs... I prefered the in cluster tach.

Got my cluster at the used parts yard for $40.

-Ran

Conversely, the opposite is true for me.

I know more about the Corolla than the Prizm, although there are a great many similarities.

I always look for a cluster with a tach when I go to the local junkyard, just never seem to find one.

Glad that yours worked out so well.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)