Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check Engine Light

by Styan, February 20, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

I would be willing to bet $ that the plugs aren't going to fix the problem and you'll get the same code back. I fail to see how a standard copper plug would burn any less of the air/fuel mixture which would cause the rich exhaust detected by your P072 code. If the plug was actually bad and not firing, then maybe, but the type shouldn't matter - only for maintenance intervals.

For some reason, one of your oxygen sensors is picking up a reading of a rich exhaust. Did you try cleaning your MAF or checking the 02 sensor itself to see if voltage is still within acceptable parameters???

Bikeman982

I would be willing to bet $ that the plugs aren't going to fix the problem and you'll get the same code back. I fail to see how a standard copper plug would burn any less of the air/fuel mixture which would cause the rich exhaust detected by your P072 code. If the plug was actually bad and not firing, then maybe, but the type shouldn't matter - only for maintenance intervals.

For some reason, one of your oxygen sensors is picking up a reading of a rich exhaust. Did you try cleaning your MAF or checking the 02 sensor itself to see if voltage is still within acceptable parameters???

I would think something is causing the plugs to not work properly and eventually the problem will come back.

At least he did not get charged for changing the plugs again.

By proper i mean the iridium plugs that are supposed to go in there. I have a feeling you guys are right about getting the rich condition. I bet it will be back too.

Bikeman982

By proper i mean the iridium plugs that are supposed to go in there. I have a feeling you guys are right about getting the rich condition. I bet it will be back too.
Time will tell.

Time will tell.

Update: So far there are no problems after having the correct plugs installed. *touches wood* and hopes it wasn't a default_ph34r problem!

Bikeman982

Time will tell.

Update: So far there are no problems after having the correct plugs installed. *touches wood* and hopes it wasn't a default_ph34r problem!

Could be that the car just need the right spark plugs installed.

The ninja light is back! Wait I mean CEL. Getting the same code as before "System too rich".

Another issue that has developed that I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on... Sometimes when I've come to a complete stop, then press on the accelerator, the car just completely *drops out* the rpms come down real low, if it doens't stall, it rolls as if the gas was never pressed. (putting me in a pretty dangerous situation if there is on-coming traffic) after a few seconds it picks up and accelerates.

Another description could be: My friend asked why sometimes I press hard on the gas as to make it jump into accelerating instead of easing in... when really I'm not...

Mechanic found that he could repeat the symptoms if he gunned it from a complete stop (about 75% of the time).

I would love to hear anyones ideas! default_smile

Thx

Make you have a vacuum leak somewhere? PVC, around the valvecover, and throttle body would be the first places I would check. Anyone checked the MAF sensor or the IAT sensor right next to it. A bad sensor will misread the amount of air pulled in - would potentially cause a rich or lean condition. Sensor may not be dead, just "lazy" - reporting numbers that are too high or low. Worse case - could be a dead or dying O2 sensor - same deal here, could be stuck and reporting bad numbers.

I did the MAF this morning... before... it was just constantly puttering out... after seems to be working. *crosses fingers*

Thx fish

Topic List