Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Advancing Timing

by Gold101, January 8, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

well i have done other things besides timing which changes the dynamics of how the charge moves through the chamber, better safe than sorry. i also plan to do some air/fuel tuning this spring so for me 93 is the best choice since its more knock resistant than 89. however if on 93 i get no knock when i'm done tuning i'll dilute it down to 91 octane and monitor my knock, then dilute it down lower and lower till either i'm running 89 or i'm getting knock because i need a more knock resistant fuel.

Bikeman982

ok, so take the wife out to dinner less :-p

on your next tank of gas fill up with 89, advance timing about 3-5 degrees and give drive it through 2 tanks of gas and check your fuel mileage. you're a more conservative driver than i am, you may see an increase in mileage where as i, with all the things i've done, have seen no negative change.

The wife says that is not acceptable!!

on your next tank of gas fill up with 89, advance timing about 3-5 degrees and give drive it through 2 tanks of gas and check your fuel mileage. you're a more conservative driver than i am, you may see an increase in mileage where as i, with all the things i've done, have seen no negative change.

default_laugh oh well, just try it out and see how you like it.

Bikeman982

default_laugh oh well, just try it out and see how you like it.

Just kidding - it would probably work for me, as it has for you.

its a nearly free way to gain a little power. however on the cali spec motor and with cali spec emissions i dont know what sort of effect it'll have on those readings. you may need to retard it to factory specs for testing.

Bikeman982

its a nearly free way to gain a little power. however on the cali spec motor and with cali spec emissions i dont know what sort of effect it'll have on those readings. you may need to retard it to factory specs for testing.
Does the emission content change due to timing advancement?

I read somewhere that timing may have to be retarded to pass emission on some cars. Im not sure about the corolla, but when i get it inspected again i plan on knocking it back to 10 to prevent any potential issues.

Since my a/c leaks, i removed my a/c belt and would guess i got about 10hp. I'd recomend doing this if looking for more power, its more responsive also. The belt was just robbing power for no reason.

Correct - higher than normal combustion pressures and temperatures generated by advancing the timing a bit will increase NOx emissions. Usually it is not too bad - but can help out your car, if emissions levels before were right on the line - so to speak.

Bikeman982

I read somewhere that timing may have to be retarded to pass emission on some cars. Im not sure about the corolla, but when i get it inspected again i plan on knocking it back to 10 to prevent any potential issues.

Since my a/c leaks, i removed my a/c belt and would guess i got about 10hp. I'd recomend doing this if looking for more power, its more responsive also. The belt was just robbing power for no reason.

In CA the emission test measures the timing and regardless of the test results, will fail if the timing is not to stock specs.

In CA the emission test measures the timing and regardless of the test results, will fail if the timing is not to stock specs.

I pity you Californians. default_sad

A side question: does the ECU command the timing to change as the

RPM increase? or is the timing fixed with respect to the RPM?

A side question: does the ECU command the timing to change as theRPM increase? or is the timing fixed with respect to the RPM?
it advances and retards within a certain range. it bases its timing off of base timing, so it blindly advances and retards from the base value not ever knowing the base value, which is why advanvcing or retarding timing affects the whole powerband. it determines if it should advance or retard and by how much from the base value from information from various sensor inputs.

Bikeman982

I pity you Californians. default_sad

It is not easy to get a car passed on emission testing.

Fortunately, if you spend $500 to try and it still does not pass, CA will pay any additional amount (if you apply to the program).

Topic List