Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

See every reply in these pages:

112263:

What you're describing is the typical manually-controlled automotive A/C system, such as we have in our Corollas. In a Lexus ES300, the A/C is automatic, thermostatically-controlled to maintain a pre-set temperature. If we were willing to pay several hundreds of dollars more for the A/C systems on our Corollas, and if Toyota offered automatic A/C on them in the first place, that problem would disappear. There still remains the issue of the total cooling capacity of a Corolla's A/C system, which, to say the least, is limited to it's present design.

In the Prius, and I assume, other hybrid automobiles, the A/C is all-electric; it's compressor is driven by it's own motor. What I'm wondering is why this paradigm hasn't been adopted sooner, and more universally. It seems pretty obvious that it would solve a lot of problems. For sure, there is going to be an energy trade-off somewhere; the A/C compressor motor requires electrical power, which ultimately comes from the electrical system, which is driven by the engine. Driven by the engine --- how? By an alternator connected to the crankshaft by a belt. Why not a direct-drive alternator, getting it's momentum directly from a driveshaft connected to the crankshaft? It would seem a more mechanically-efficient system than a belt-driven alternator -- and likely more reliable. This direct-drive alternator could even have a two (or more) -speed transmission which could drive the armature at a constant speed regardless of the engine's speed at the time -- including a clutch which could disconnect it altogether when it isn't needed, such as upon start-up when the battery provides the main electrical impetus.

I may be grasping at straws here, but it seems that automotive design is still caught up in ages-old design paradigms that could benefit from some outside-of-the-box thinking.

When it comes to SUV's, I guess everyone is a communist.

True.

Yeah, everyone should be forced to own smaller vehicles so we're all less protected in an accident. The logic is just... unassailable!

I'm sensing a blatant lack of intelligence here. Frankly appalling.

Oh yeah, the A/C thing... um.... R12 rocks!

I have noticed barely acceptable a/c performance with the 03' Corolla, and 04' Matrix. The air blowing out the of the vents is plenty cold though. When the sun is shining brightly on a hot day it is enough to keep you somewhat comfortable, but when it is cloudy it gets plenty cold in the car and I have to turn it down. I agree with a post earlier that tinted glass could help.

Guest dlichterman

I have noticed that with my 98 i have to kinda run the engine up a little to get the A/C to get cold.....I have seen 'recharge' kits on sale...could this help me

I have noticed that with my 98 i have to kinda run the engine up a little to get the A/C to get cold.....I have seen 'recharge' kits on sale...could this help me

Only if it is low - overcharging the system can happen if you don't check the level first. The system may blow cooler for a short time before the seals, coupling the lines, start leaking.

Topic List