Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Can I Add Abs To My Corolla Ce 2007 Us Sedan

See every reply in these pages:

Guest kertuojai

Wordering is it possible to add ABS to my newly bought Corolla CE 2007 US sedan. I bought it without ABS. If positive any ideas how much it might cost?

Bikeman982

Wordering is it possible to add ABS to my newly bought Corolla CE 2007 US sedan. I bought it without ABS. If positive any ideas how much it might cost?
It is an option that not all cars have.

It can be added, but must be costly.

It requires, wiring and sensors for each wheel.

I don't have it for my cars, so I don't have the details.

• 1,424 posts

You can do anything to a car, with two conditions:

1) you must find someone who is willing to do it.

2) you must be able to pay for it.

You probably won't find anyone who is willing to take the time to do it. Take it to your dealer and they'll say, "You want a car with ABS, trade your in and buy one with it from the factory."

If you did by chance find someone who would do it, you're looking at well over 2,000 for the parts and labor. ABS is a complicated system and it costs $500 from the factory for them to put it in when they get the parts cheap and the labor isn't any harder than making a non-abs car. You would need wheel-speed sensors, all the wiring hooked up, an abs module, some different brake components and a new master cylinder. Then you would have to add labor costs to all of those parts.

I have ABS on my 2005 LE, but I custom ordered my car to get it and the other features I wanted. ABS on Corollas seems to be rare compared to other cars according to what I've seen in my search for my Corolla, especially on the CE model. You might just have to learn to pump the brakes unless you can justify spending 2 grand or more on a brand new car to get a $500 option.

Dealers won't do this because it's a safety system and they don't mod it.

Not worth the expense to add it even if you could find junkyard parts.

As you were advised, trade if you really must have ABS or keep it in mind for your next purchase.

Hey, why don't you use the ABS money to learn how to drive and use your brake properly? Or are you one of those lazy driver who wants to take the easy way out of everything?

Also keep in mind that when the ABS break, it's gonna cost you mucho $$$ to fix. I had a 190E once with a broken ABS, and the cost of repair was going to be $3000. My BMW's ABS malfunctioned on me while I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a stop-sign runner, and my car came within inches of hitting the other car. A non-ABS brake would have stopped it many feet away. I try not to buy car with ABS ever since.

unless you can pump the pedal several hundred times a minute and stop the car in a perfectly straight line with a wet road surface on one side and dry surface on the other then you cant talk any shi*t about ABS systems.

These safety features are great when they work but will put many good vehicles in the junkyard way before their time.

The expense of repairing these complex electronics will doom many otherwise serviceable cars, especially if gadget failure prevents passing state inspection.

friendly_jacek

If not ABS I would have had several accidents (rearending) in wet weather in my 03 corrolla. I saved more than the $500 sticker. I have had non-ABS cars before and it's a major deal. The only problem with ABS is it will not stop you in snow but at least you can stear.

Interestingly, it was very hard to get ABS in corolla. Very silly.

Bikeman982

I don't have ABS in my car and don't think that I really would need it.

You will have to spend a lot of money to add it to your car.

Your best bet is to live without it, spend the money to get it put in, or trade your car for one that has it.

There are these aftermarket "add-on" ABS systems - don't be fooled, total joke of a system. Can actually be an outright dangerous system. I think they were so bad, that many retailers ahve pulled them off the shelves.

Can you add ABS to your car? Sure. How much will it cost you? Depends on how you want to do it - basically two ways:

1) trade in the car and get one with ABS

2) buy a wrecked donor car of the same year and pull all the ABS related sensors, wiring, computer, and components and install them onto your car (I've seen this done a few times - not an easy job, but do-able).

That being said - you probably will not be missing much, braking wise. ABS does not necessarily provide a shorter stopping distance, as most people think. It won't stop your car any quicker or any shorter - most of the time, a locked wheel will stop quicker than one that is "pumped". Only in a few, very unusual conditions will ABS actually stop the car shorter than ones without ABS (limited traction surfaces like ice). The difference is that it will allow the driver to maintain steering control and avoid skidding while braking.

Kind of like A/C - if you don't have it, you won't miss it. But once you get it and get used to it, you generally don't want to give it up or go without it.

Bikeman982

Seems like you put too much emphasis on possessing a car with ABS. You might have considered that prior to your purchase, if it is that important to you.

You seem like you would be happier if you had a car that had ABS factory installed. That would mean another car for you.

• 1,424 posts
Seems like you put too much emphasis on possessing a car with ABS. You might have considered that prior to your purchase, if it is that important to you.You seem like you would be happier if you had a car that had ABS factory installed. That would mean another car for you.

The problem is that Corollas with ABS are hard to find. I looked at over 100 cars and fewer than 5 of them had ABS. 3 of the 4 were XRS models which come standard with ABS. The one non-XRS I looked at that had ABS was a 23k Corolla LE. It had side airbags, JBL audio, leather, satellite radio, sunroof, alloys and several thousand dollars worth of spoilers, gold emblems, moonroof visors, cargo nets, floor mats and security systems.

Two days before my Corolla came in, a car almost identical to mine came in with ABS. Guess what, it was a custom order just like my car. I suspect the 23k Corolla I saw was a custom order too, and that the person who bought it backed out at the last minute.

Point is that not everyone wants or can afford the 19k Corollas that are virtually the only ones on the lot with any chance of having ABS. Even though it can be had on the CE model, you'll not see too many CEs with it because it costs too much for dealers to equip lot cars with it. If you want a CE with ABS, you'll probably need to order it.

Virtually no Corollas are custom orders, and I will never again order a car from Toyota after my last car. 90 days for a Corolla is ridiculous, and most people can not wait that long for a car, especially when the dealer promises the car in 45 days or less. If I had it to do over again, I would not spend 19k on a Corolla that I had to custom order and wait 90 days to get what I wanted when a Solara can be had for 20k with most all of the same features today.

Bikeman982

Seems like you put too much emphasis on possessing a car with ABS. You might have considered that prior to your purchase, if it is that important to you.

You seem like you would be happier if you had a car that had ABS factory installed. That would mean another car for you.

The problem is that Corollas with ABS are hard to find. I looked at over 100 cars and fewer than 5 of them had ABS. 3 of the 4 were XRS models which come standard with ABS. The one non-XRS I looked at that had ABS was a 23k Corolla LE. It had side airbags, JBL audio, leather, satellite radio, sunroof, alloys and several thousand dollars worth of spoilers, gold emblems, moonroof visors, cargo nets, floor mats and security systems.

Two days before my Corolla came in, a car almost identical to mine came in with ABS. Guess what, it was a custom order just like my car. I suspect the 23k Corolla I saw was a custom order too, and that the person who bought it backed out at the last minute.

Point is that not everyone wants or can afford the 19k Corollas that are virtually the only ones on the lot with any chance of having ABS. Even though it can be had on the CE model, you'll not see too many CEs with it because it costs too much for dealers to equip lot cars with it. If you want a CE with ABS, you'll probably need to order it.

Virtually no Corollas are custom orders, and I will never again order a car from Toyota after my last car. 90 days for a Corolla is ridiculous, and most people can not wait that long for a car, especially when the dealer promises the car in 45 days or less. If I had it to do over again, I would not spend 19k on a Corolla that I had to custom order and wait 90 days to get what I wanted when a Solara can be had for 20k with most all of the same features today.

The best way to buy a new car with very little waiting is to buy one they already have.

If you have to custom order it, it will take a long time to get it and you had better be prepared to wait.

You may not get all the options you want, but if you find one that has the major options that you want, then get it or visit another location.

One of the few good aspects of buying from a dealer served by Southeast Toyota Distributor is that the dealers can readily redirect vehicles to their dealership when they were originally scheduled to go to another store.

You can see the entire distributor inventory including undelivered Corollas online. If one meets your needs, your dealer can try to arrange a redirect with the dealer set to get the car.

Worked for me.

You will be a safer better driver without ABS. Studies have shown that having extra safety features in the car generally make the driver more reckless, take more unnecessary risk, which endangers the

driver's life and health and those of others. I think it's a pyschology thing; it's like thinking, "I've got 6 airbags, ABS, traction control, and rear view camera that lets me backup without the heavy burden of turning my head; so even if I were to get into an accident I'd be OK afterwards--and the insurance money will buy me a brand new car." I believe it; I see drivers of old cars are the most careful and keep under the speed limit. On the other hand, I see drivers of fancy new cars hauling down the street like they stole it and cut in front of you like they think they are Schumacher.

unless you can pump the pedal several hundred times a minute and stop the car in a perfectly straight line with a wet road surface on one side and dry surface on the other then you cant talk any shi*t about ABS systems.

When it rains, you should try driving slower than normal and be extra vigilant. Driving schools would teach you that.

So, in conclusion:

Adding ABS.

No, its not worth the effort or $$.

If you really wanta car with ABS, it will be safer and cheaper to trade in your car for one that comes with it from the factory.

Personally, if given a choice, I will ALWAYs get the car with ABS.

There are LOTS of "safety" devices that are being developed, in an attempt to create safter cars and a "better" driving experience.

But there are always idiots that can find "better" ways to crash.

As for me, all of the vehicles I have owned in the last 12-14 yrs have had ABS.

I used to drive full size buses part-time (10-12yrs ago).

I remember getting off i5 one night, and hit a small patch of ice on the off ramp. (I didnt realize that is was several degrees colder there vs where i had started). Fortunately ABS kicked in (and no traffic). Stopped, made a turn, and got to our destination.

Passengers didnt even know that we had almost crashed into the "T" at the end of the ramp.

Was I speeding, or overdriving my abilities, or doing something stupid? No.

I admit, I failed to realize the temp difference, and failed to predict black ice (inexperience).

just my 2bits.

tdk.

Bikeman982

So, in conclusion:

Adding ABS.

No, its not worth the effort or $$.

If you really wanta car with ABS, it will be safer and cheaper to trade in your car for one that comes with it from the factory.

Personally, if given a choice, I will ALWAYs get the car with ABS.

There are LOTS of "safety" devices that are being developed, in an attempt to create safter cars and a "better" driving experience.

But there are always idiots that can find "better" ways to crash.

As for me, all of the vehicles I have owned in the last 12-14 yrs have had ABS.

I used to drive full size buses part-time (10-12yrs ago).

I remember getting off i5 one night, and hit a small patch of ice on the off ramp. (I didnt realize that is was several degrees colder there vs where i had started). Fortunately ABS kicked in (and no traffic). Stopped, made a turn, and got to our destination.

Passengers didnt even know that we had almost crashed into the "T" at the end of the ramp.

Was I speeding, or overdriving my abilities, or doing something stupid? No.

I admit, I failed to realize the temp difference, and failed to predict black ice (inexperience).

just my 2bits.

tdk.

Black ice can be extremely dangerous. It appears like a shadow on the road, but can cause loss of control - even with a car that has ABS. The best safety method is to always look ahead and try to be prepared.

• 1,424 posts
The best way to buy a new car with very little waiting is to buy one they already have. If you have to custom order it, it will take a long time to get it and you had better be prepared to wait.

You may not get all the options you want, but if you find one that has the major options that you want, then get it or visit another location.

Yeah and very little waiting is also known as settling. I was not about to settle for a car that had only 1/3 of the features I wanted just so I could have it today. I did that with my last car and regretted it the entire time I owned it.

And the problem with Corollas is that if you buy one with all the toys, then there aren't any around with the major options you want and you are not simply settling on 1 alloy wheel type over another or one color over another like you would be with a more expensive car like a Camry or a RAV4. My Mom did what you are talking about with her last car and she ended up with exactly what she wanted except it had bigger wheels, not a real loss.

I asked my dealer to search for a car for me. He looked at what I wanted and showed me what would be "close" to what I wanted. Close was no ABS or no sunroof, a sunroof but no alloy wheels, ABS but no 6 disc changer, sunroof or alloy wheels. There was not one car that was coming in during the next month and a half to any dealer in a 100 mile radius that I was willing to take. He told me I'd have to order. 6 weeks for a car I didn't really like or 45 days for exactly what I wanted didn't seem like a hard choice at the time. When it became 90 days, then I thought I should have just bargained the Solara to 19k since it had alloys, ABS, a 6 disc changer, side airbags and a self dimming mirror. I could have lived without a Sunroof for a nicer car right now for the same price. However, I made my decision to not back out on the custom order and I'm very happy with my car, but I will never custom order from Toyota again.

I personally think adding ABS is a major advantage. First, $500 investment will pay back for safety PLUS INSURANCE SAVINGS. Insurance company will give you discount on cars that equip with ABS (different across different insurance company). Anyway, I saw a government video shows how ABS improve steer in slippery condition. My next car will have an ABS system.

Anyway, to answer the poster's question. It's better to get an ABS car on next purchase. It's going to be costly and probably have reliability issue if not installed properly.

Bikeman982

Some info on ABS http://www.nollonline.com/mr2/Wrenching/abs.htm

Good info on how to add it. Should only be done by someone competent enough to understand it.

If you really have to put it on your car, then get it done right.

• 1,424 posts
Good info on how to add it. Should only be done by someone competent enough to understand it.If you really have to put it on your car, then get it done right.

I still don't think the original poster will find anyone to add ABS to their car. If a dealer does it and it fails and causes injury, they are liable for possibly millions of dollars in damages. I would not put myself in that position as a dealer.

Bikeman982

Good info on how to add it. Should only be done by someone competent enough to understand it.

If you really have to put it on your car, then get it done right.

I still don't think the original poster will find anyone to add ABS to their car. If a dealer does it and it fails and causes injury, they are liable for possibly millions of dollars in damages. I would not put myself in that position as a dealer.

Good point, but their may be a willing dealer that will take that job. For the right price and done correctly, there will not be any more risk of injury than a car that had it installed as an option.

Franchised dealers would be in trouble with toyota for taking on such work.

An auto performance or racing shop would tackle it, but might be quite costly. Probably better to be sure to get it on next purchase.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)