Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rice Burners

By muzak, November 18, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I happen to live next to a family where the older son has friends and all have rice burners. I guess they all share a single brain as they are all white Hondas with a black hood. I have had the police involved when the father confronted me about complaining too much.

I have a question that our family does not quite understand and maybe there is a reason afterall.

Why at 2am in the morning do the idiots have to come home (heard from two miles away) have to pull in the driveway and let their car idle for a full five minutes?? Is there some reason for that? Is it cool??? or is it they are idiots? They actually get out of their cars and let them idle while they do a walk around. I can understand warming a car up...but warming it down????

The problem is that they would be stopped by the time I call the police and complain.

well i have a loud car but im very quite when coming home that late a night, its rude and disrespectful. Now i let my car cool down a bit if i been hard on it, lets it cool at a slower rate, now if they have turbos then its a good idea to let them cool down by idling because turbos and manifolds can crack if not cooled down slowly, my advice call the cops and have them wait to come down the street when they do the cops can stop them and scare them a bit, even a loud car can be driving so that it isnt too loud

Well at least they don't have their "system" on at max volume, going BOUM BOUM BOUM and the house shakes like a mild earthquake. [Note to baby boomers, a system is a loud stereo]

Since they get out of their cars, I assume they also go to the front door and knock or ring the bell. If they would stay in their idling cars, they would just honk their horns!

^^^

That was my problem a few summers a go and of course there's not much you can do, because by the time the police come over, they're gone. Fortunately for me, they have grown up and moved away. So it's now settle people, with kids either who are too old or too young to be this stupid, at least until my kids get behind the wheel of a car

Do you live in a house? Are idling civics really that loud, I would think that a 68 camero would idle louder than a little 1.8 civic. Unless your house isn't very well insulated, I don't really understand how that would disturb my sleep unless they are revving their engine. But, like 95 wrote, if they have turbo's on their vehicles it is very highly recommended that they idle for a while before turning off the car. (Ie, after a race!). If they drive normally, 1-2 minutes of idling would be fine.

well i doubt they are just letting them idle they prolly always need to rev their engine just to make sure its still there ha

well i doubt they are just letting them idle they prolly always need to rev their engine just to make sure its still there ha
good one. lol

Bikeman982

They are inconsiderate idiots.

People are not taught manners anymore. And, as "baby boomers," that's largely OUR fault. When we were kids, we lived in the growing age of a mass-media culture. This caused us to be influenced by many different social stereotypes, and the "rebel without a cause" syndrome was quite a common phenomenon. We rejected parental authority because it was just then becoming "cool" to do so, and we decided that when we were parents, that we would raise our kids to be "friends" rather than obedient, subservient, bowing-and-scraping little automatons who were eager to please and easy to be pleased. Now, kids are no longer the subordinates of their parents, they are their equals, and once they reach a certain point of physical and emotional maturity, they completely stop responding to parental influences and substitute peer group influences instead. THERE's the problem.

Those kids with the loud rice burners have absolutely no consideration for other peoples rights because they were never trained to have any. Moreover, they will always be that way -- self-centered, with a highly refined sense of entitlement and self-esteem. They will NEVER respond to any social pressure from any group other than their own peers, so the best policy when dealing with them would be to keep your expectations low. If they are making noise that bothers, don't bother to approach them directly. Call the police. And when youi do, don't be surprised if they retaliate.

speaking from a kids point you are right, alot of this kids i went to highschool are that way, the world revoles around them, i respect how others feel because i know if i scratch their back they will scratch mine, my neigherbors know i go out late at night cause im a night person as long as im quiet they have no problem, no my car was rated at 120 decibles at 75percent throttle like my state says you must test it at. now my car is to loud like really to loud but i have never waken my neighbors, kids wont learn till they get older, sad fact

well i have a loud car but im very quite when coming home that late a night, its rude and disrespectful. Now i let my car cool down a bit if i been hard on it, lets it cool at a slower rate, now if they have turbos then its a good idea to let them cool down by idling because turbos and manifolds can crack if not cooled down slowly, my advice call the cops and have them wait to come down the street when they do the cops can stop them and scare them a bit, even a loud car can be driving so that it isnt too loud

You mean...you have to let your car "cool down" ??? That would make a long wait if waiting for gas. Why would you have to let your car cool down by keeping it running? I don't think I would want a car that I would have to keep idling or I would be late for work every time. If someone has a car that has to "cool down" ...then that has to be the biggest waste of energy I've ever seen.

Do you live in a house? Are idling civics really that loud, I would think that a 68 camero would idle louder than a little 1.8 civic. Unless your house isn't very well insulated, I don't really understand how that would disturb my sleep unless they are revving their engine. But, like 95 wrote, if they have turbo's on their vehicles it is very highly recommended that they idle for a while before turning off the car. (Ie, after a race!). If they drive normally, 1-2 minutes of idling would be fine.
I think I would probably fall asleep at the sound of any '68!! I owned a 442 at one time ..but never did anything to bother my neighbours. At that time there was not questions asked....if you did it..you were guilty.

i only have to let my car cool down after running it realy hard which is usually only at the track, the reason for doing it is because it slowly gets back to operating temp which is where you want your car when you shut it up, if you shut it off after a hard run the water pump doesnt run so it stays hot because no cool coolant is running through it is just sitting there boiling which isnt good, at operating temp your car wont be boiling the coolant so it would be fine to shut it of, like i said turbo guys are the ones you will see do this the most, that is why they buy a turbo timer which means you can take out the key and eveyrthing and it will stay running until it reaches operating temp and then shuts off, very handy tool so you wouldnt be late for work,

Bikeman982

People are not taught manners anymore. And, as "baby boomers," that's largely OUR fault. When we were kids, we lived in the growing age of a mass-media culture. This caused us to be influenced by many different social stereotypes, and the "rebel without a cause" syndrome was quite a common phenomenon. We rejected parental authority because it was just then becoming "cool" to do so, and we decided that when we were parents, that we would raise our kids to be "friends" rather than obedient, subservient, bowing-and-scraping little automatons who were eager to please and easy to be pleased. Now, kids are no longer the subordinates of their parents, they are their equals, and once they reach a certain point of physical and emotional maturity, they completely stop responding to parental influences and substitute peer group influences instead. THERE's the problem.

Those kids with the loud rice burners have absolutely no consideration for other peoples rights because they were never trained to have any. Moreover, they will always be that way -- self-centered, with a highly refined sense of entitlement and self-esteem. They will NEVER respond to any social pressure from any group other than their own peers, so the best policy when dealing with them would be to keep your expectations low. If they are making noise that bothers, don't bother to approach them directly. Call the police. And when youi do, don't be surprised if they retaliate.

Don't forget that we didn't "spare the rod", so the child didn't get spoiled.

Today you can't touch a child for discipline - that is against the law.

Kids today know that and as a result they have no respect for their elders.

Larry,

That sums up why I think I am fortunate falling in between the boomers and their kids, having being raised by "old fashioned" parents (though this was not my thinking when I was 16!). Fortunately for society, I am seeing a slight swing of the pendulum back in term of parenting, parental autority and respect.

hopefully respect comes back, if i ever thought of talking to my parents the way some of my friends do ha, you get alot more with a few kind words and some civil talking than yelling and threating, kids wont learn unless they are brought up that way

Bikeman982

hopefully respect comes back, if i ever thought of talking to my parents the way some of my friends do ha, you get alot more with a few kind words and some civil talking than yelling and threating, kids wont learn unless they are brought up that way

The realization of respect will come to them when they become parents. They will want the respect that they failed to give their own parents.

The realization of respect will come to them when they become parents. They will want the respect that they failed to give their own parents.

Ha! Yeah right - I wish that happens. I don't have kids but being 24, some of my friends have kids, and honestly half of them are the absolute worst parents I could possibly imagine. I'll babysit sometimes just to know they're being watched. Going out to the club seems to be more important than parenting.

My coworker dresses her son up in clothes waaaaay more expensive than anything I'd buy and takes him out in public like he's an accessory. He's 5 years old and swears at his mom, talks down to his mom and she doesn't even care - she speaks to him the same way. It's sad to think about, but he's going to grow up being a burden to society.

I'm not knocking single parenting by any means, but all of my friends who are parents and are married raise their kids very well. Only one of my single mom friends is IMO a very good parent.

It seems as though as time pases on and on, people are becoming less intelligent and boundary-less. Some examples are that children are losing their virginity at a younger and younger age. Many people now a days view sex as nothing, absolutely nothing; just a good time like drinking. That is really sad, I'm 20 yrs old and am now in a relationship for nearly 3 years. I don't want kids because I know how difficult parenthood is and what kind of world will my child grow up in? Look around you, lots of single parents that are poor and cannot provide for their family, much less their kids. Parents cheating on each other more often because sex is becoming more and more casual and soon about to become absolutely meaningless. People's moral boundaries are soon to be hazy fine lines. Corranhorn pointed out some very good examples of current parenting and from my experience is quite the norm.

When I moved from Fullerton to Thousand Oaks, I attended a high school called Westlake High. At westlake, the social status quo was based on how many people they had sex with. Kids were so rich out there that the average car in the student parking lot was a new bmw 3 series. There was a person at school with a $80 H2 as his first automobile. I don't know what's more harmful, yelling at your kids or spoiling them? I believe that my current generation is actually going to be dumber than my previous generation. I used to be that ever succeeding generation was better and smarter than the previous and now its not the case anymore. I moved back to Fullerton because all the girls in Westlake aspired to be like a [had to remove word due to advertiser flags!] star (ie, very wide open with their legs, kinda like paris hilton - so much makup you look like a plastic barbie; anorexic, fake boobed, dumb, leg opening machine). I'm actually critisized from using words like "difficult", "perplexing", "ambiguous", etc. Some people think that I think too much; because as you guys know, in this day in age, using logical thinking means that you "are like totally super geneous smart, uhuh!" default_laugh

I look around all of my friends who have kids and they are so lenient with their children that they can practically do whatever they want. Like what corranhorn stated, 5yr olds cuss back at their own parents while the parent will just "tell them stop or yell". How do you parent a child who is so backwards that they are to the point of cussing back at their own parents (ie. no respect for authority figures) without using a little physical contact? Very difficult. And like most people, they choose the path of least resistance. So what do they do? Instead of looking after their own children, they drink at a bar or join a pool league. Perhaps I've been exposed to really bad examples of current parent hood, however, its because of this that I believe that this is in fact "average", and if we are not careful, this nation as a whole will fall.......this nation is governed around people or by people (or at least it should be). If people get dumber, then the nation will dilapidate along with it. Pretty soon kids are going to experience sex at age 10 and pretty soon sex is going to be so casual its like shaking hands with somebody. I hope as time goes on, parents will snap out of what ever they're experiencing and get off their "well I always had mom and dad to look after me, so I can do whatever the **** I can" mentality.

Meanwhile, people are yelling at arnold schwartzennegger for being a bad governor because he "cut" education funds. Ummmm.......last I checked, he was giving some of the largest amounts of money ever to the education system and because he decided to cut a little bit from that, people say that he is stealing money?! I mean, if somebody tells you out of the blue, that they are going to give you $1000, you would say yes. Now that person says, "o sorry, I can only give you $800", is your reaction going to be "then I don't want it"? Its free money, why would you turn it down, and say that the person offering you money is "cutting " money? Last I checked, Arnold was a much better governor than Davis, so why is everybody hating him; I guess people just liked Davis better. After all, Arnold trying to get us monetarily independent, because of what Davis caused, by not hitting tax payers too hard, well, thats just too freaking horrible so lets kick him out of office and get Davis back instead. People.....jeesh....I suppose to expect the "new americans" to be so dumbfoundedly incompetent its ludicrous for a short while, but after some time, it just makes some people upset.

Bikeman982

People who are very capable and who would make great parents that choose not to have any kids, are just making it easier for society to go bad by allowing idiots to propogate.

Imagine the best people you know who would make great parents and then the ones you think should never have children.

What if the worst has kids and the best never do.

Multiply that by societies numbers and there you have the reason for things like disrespect and high crime rates.

People who are very capable and who would make great parents that choose not to have any kids, are just making it easier for society to go bad by allowing idiots to propogate.Imagine the best people you know who would make great parents and then the ones you think should never have children.

Multiply that by societies numbers and there you have the reason for things like disrespect and high crime rates.

Wow that scares me to no end.

It seems as though as time pases on and on, people are becoming less intelligent and boundary-less. Some examples are that children are losing their virginity at a younger and younger age. Many people now a days view sex as nothing, absolutely nothing; just a good time like drinking. That is really sad, I'm 20 yrs old and am now in a relationship for nearly 3 years. I don't want kids because I know how difficult parenthood is and what kind of world will my child grow up in? Look around you, lots of single parents that are poor and cannot provide for their family, much less their kids. Parents cheating on each other more often because sex is becoming more and more casual and soon about to become absolutely meaningless. People's moral boundaries are soon to be hazy fine lines. Corranhorn pointed out some very good examples of current parenting and from my experience is quite the norm.

When I moved from Fullerton to Thousand Oaks, I attended a high school called Westlake High. At westlake, the social status quo was based on how many people they had sex with. Kids were so rich out there that the average car in the student parking lot was a new bmw 3 series. There was a person at school with a $80 H2 as his first automobile. I don't know what's more harmful, yelling at your kids or spoiling them? I believe that my current generation is actually going to be dumber than my previous generation. I used to be that ever succeeding generation was better and smarter than the previous and now its not the case anymore. I moved back to Fullerton because all the girls in Westlake aspired to be like a [had to remove word due to advertiser flags!] star (ie, very wide open with their legs, kinda like paris hilton - so much makup you look like a plastic barbie; anorexic, fake boobed, dumb, leg opening machine). I'm actually critisized from using words like "difficult", "perplexing", "ambiguous", etc. Some people think that I think too much; because as you guys know, in this day in age, using logical thinking means that you "are like totally super geneous smart, uhuh!" default_laugh

I look around all of my friends who have kids and they are so lenient with their children that they can practically do whatever they want. Like what corranhorn stated, 5yr olds cuss back at their own parents while the parent will just "tell them stop or yell". How do you parent a child who is so backwards that they are to the point of cussing back at their own parents (ie. no respect for authority figures) without using a little physical contact? Very difficult. And like most people, they choose the path of least resistance. So what do they do? Instead of looking after their own children, they drink at a bar or join a pool league. Perhaps I've been exposed to really bad examples of current parent hood, however, its because of this that I believe that this is in fact "average", and if we are not careful, this nation as a whole will fall.......this nation is governed around people or by people (or at least it should be). If people get dumber, then the nation will dilapidate along with it. Pretty soon kids are going to experience sex at age 10 and pretty soon sex is going to be so casual its like shaking hands with somebody. I hope as time goes on, parents will snap out of what ever they're experiencing and get off their "well I always had mom and dad to look after me, so I can do whatever the **** I can" mentality.

It'll be a while before I have a kid, if ever, for those reasons and more.

I am nonviolent and don't think kids should be abused, bruised or have bones broken, but growing up with strong spankings and soap in the mouth went a very long way. Now don't get me wrong I still caused trouble and cussed like a sailor (still do lol) but my parents found ways to teach moral boundaries and appropriate levels of self respect and respect for others. Every day I see examples of parents like mine being damn near the last of their kind.

I wish my generation could possibly comprehend that being a parent and parenting your children are two very different things. I always hear people say "I love my son/daughter", and I'm sure they do, but loving them isn't enough - not by a long shot. I don't know anyone who was brought up on love alone. Raise your kid!!!

Meanwhile, people are yelling at arnold schwartzennegger for being a bad governor because he "cut" education funds. Ummmm.......last I checked, he was giving some of the largest amounts of money ever to the education system and because he decided to cut a little bit from that, people say that he is stealing money?! I mean, if somebody tells you out of the blue, that they are going to give you $1000, you would say yes. Now that person says, "o sorry, I can only give you $800", is your reaction going to be "then I don't want it"? Its free money, why would you turn it down, and say that the person offering you money is "cutting " money? Last I checked, Arnold was a much better governor than Davis, so why is everybody hating him; I guess people just liked Davis better. After all, Arnold trying to get us monetarily independent, because of what Davis caused, by not hitting tax payers too hard, well, thats just too freaking horrible so lets kick him out of office and get Davis back instead. People.....jeesh....I suppose to expect the "new americans" to be so dumbfoundedly incompetent its ludicrous for a short while, but after some time, it just makes some people upset.

Our generation and younger are spoonfed information from places like MTV and it makes me sick. You're going to tell me a good source of political information is Kanye West?!?! Wow. Kids tend to think that if they hear someone popular give a biased opinion about a political issue it needs to be believed and repeated.

As far as public education, pump as much money into it as you want - it won't make a lick of difference. Our average American kids will still be dumber than rocks and incompetent. Why? It comes back to lack of parenting. Children are not supposed to be raised by teachers in public school!!! Gee, why are so many jobs outsourced to other countries? Because in places like India sometimes they can do it better, and for cheaper.

Bikeman982

People who are very capable and who would make great parents that choose not to have any kids, are just making it easier for society to go bad by allowing idiots to propogate.

Imagine the best people you know who would make great parents and then the ones you think should never have children.

Wow that scares me to no end.

It seems to be the current trend.

As one who was recently a child, I may be able to shed light on what may work and what may not in regards to parenting.

1. If you never want your child to be vengeful and or violent, never spank them. I got spankings a plenty as a child. That and I got exposed to my parents short fuses has led to me having a short fuse today, probably. In addition, despite my pacifist pretences, I defenitely do have a vengeful and potentially violent streak.

2. If your child doesn't want to go to a show/wedding/shopping don't make them. It acheives absolutely nothing. Sure if they absolutely must got, sure make them but kids aren't stupid, they know what they like/don't like.

3. Ensure your child does chores. Pay them for it. Provide rewards for effort, good school work etc. My parents didn't make me do any particular chores, yet I still giot an allowance. This has led to a work ethic that, frankly, could be improved.

4. Ensure you have time available to bring up your child. I was fortunate in that my dad worked 40 hrs a week, my mum for 35. This meant there was plenty of together family time. Since I work in the public sector, I am only required to work 35 hrs a week, hopefully should I find someone I am hoping they they too have similar disposable time. long working hours brought on firstly by the zealous, unreasonable bourgeoise (probably sic) wanting to turn a quick buck by squeezing that extra chunk of flesh out of the worker. In addition, the worker is feeling compelled to work more to by luxury items that they only want due to marketing messages sent out by the capitalist bourgoise (probably sic). We have a generation of children who don't know that their parents love them, sometimes the parent and child are too busy with their own lives that they may not know each other. Many of us spend way too much time making the big end of town happy and not enough cultivating meaningful human relationships.

5. final hint is ensure that your child trusts you, and can talk with you about any topic. in any relationship the fewer the secrets, the better.

As one who was recently a child, I may be able to shed light on what may work and what may not in regards to parenting.

1. If you never want your child to be vengeful and or violent, never spank them. I got spankings a plenty as a child. That and I got exposed to my parents short fuses has led to me having a short fuse today, probably. In addition, despite my pacifist pretences, I defenitely do have a vengeful and potentially violent streak.

2. If your child doesn't want to go to a show/wedding/shopping don't make them. It acheives absolutely nothing. Sure if they absolutely must got, sure make them but kids aren't stupid, they know what they like/don't like.

3. Ensure your child does chores. Pay them for it. Provide rewards for effort, good school work etc. My parents didn't make me do any particular chores, yet I still giot an allowance. This has led to a work ethic that, frankly, could be improved.

4. Ensure you have time available to bring up your child. I was fortunate in that my dad worked 40 hrs a week, my mum for 35. This meant there was plenty of together family time. Since I work in the public sector, I am only required to work 35 hrs a week, hopefully should I find someone I am hoping they they too have similar disposable time. long working hours brought on firstly by the zealous, unreasonable bourgeoise (probably sic) wanting to turn a quick buck by squeezing that extra chunk of flesh out of the worker. In addition, the worker is feeling compelled to work more to by luxury items that they only want due to marketing messages sent out by the capitalist bourgoise (probably sic). We have a generation of children who don't know that their parents love them, sometimes the parent and child are too busy with their own lives that they may not know each other. Many of us spend way too much time making the big end of town happy and not enough cultivating meaningful human relationships.

5. final hint is ensure that your child trusts you, and can talk with you about any topic. in any relationship the fewer the secrets, the better.

I personally disagree completely with your #3 (I'm not saying you're wrong, just that that wouldn't have worked in my family), and that reminds me that every family is different and has different needs. In my upbringing chores were done and good grades were had because it had to be done, being rewarded for something you should be doing anyways just didn't fly.

There seems to be a lack of effort by my generation of parents to seek what does work for their particular family which is part of where the overall problem lies.

I suggested number 3 purely out of it would bring about a cognitive relationship between work/reward - the reward doesn't have to be money, the reward could just be a lack of punishment. But if parents have the money - even some money - paying children for chores would teach them the value of work, the value of money. When I was in high school I mowed the lawn for my dad, I charged $8 an hour back then (late 90s) for that is what a junior working in a store got. I got my $8 an hour (we had a big lawn, so it was actually about $16 a week that I got) which I spent as I saw fit. But by then my slack work ethic was out of control anyway...

Topic List: Go to Everything Else