Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Benford's Law, October 23, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Does anyone think auto rx could help ben not burn so much oil? I havent used it but Im considering it since Im burning about 1/5qt 5w30 every two weeks.
That does not seem too much - depending on how many miles you do.

I don't think it would be abnormal to use a quart every 1000 - 1200 miles.

Benford's Law

Hi all,

Just doing another quick update on my '99 VE's mileage. The odometer's reading 225,604 miles right now. I have to get ready to take the car on a 600 + mile (round trip) road trip tomorrow. Everything's running just fine and I still am religiously adding my 5W-30 Valvoline when it's needed; I usually start adding oil when it's about a half-quart below the "top dot" on the dipstick. The oil consumption only becomes a major issue after about 1,500-2,000 miles since its previous oil change (as another poster said, dino oils shear down to a lighter weight that's more susceptible to burning after a while).

A big dump truck threw a big pebble on my windshield and I have a huge crack on it now . I couldn't track him down to get the license #, but I haven't decided whether to even bother replacing the windshield yet since my father has offered me his "hand me down" '01 Geo Prizm with about 95,000 miles (exact same engine and body style as the '99 VE, but with more options) for a dirt cheap price. In the meantime, I'm still driving the Corolla since this won't happen until at least May '08 if I decide to take dad's old car.

To:

98ceMCO, 01loadedLE, bikeman982, and TRCar54.....Thanks for addressing my issues on the window frames and the headliner and helping to keep this thread alive. I wish I had more time to discuss this right now, but I have to get packed for my road trip to northern Iowa that starts tomorrow morning. I will try to work on this in a later update.

Who knows? Maybe if I can push this Corolla to the 250,000 mile mark I'll start uploading some pics of the car (the poor old beast would probably deserve such recognition at that point! default_laugh ).

~Benford's Law

Bikeman982

Hi all,Just doing another quick update on my '99 VE's mileage. The odometer's reading 225,604 miles right now. I have to get ready to take the car on a 600 + mile (round trip) road trip tomorrow. Everything's running just fine and I still am religiously adding my 5W-30 Valvoline when it's needed; I usually start adding oil when it's about a half-quart below the "top dot" on the dipstick. The oil consumption only becomes a major issue after about 1,500-2,000 miles since its previous oil change (as another poster said, dino oils shear down to a lighter weight that's more susceptible to burning after a while).

A big dump truck threw a big pebble on my windshield and I have a huge crack on it now . I couldn't track him down to get the license #, but I haven't decided whether to even bother replacing the windshield yet since my father has offered me his "hand me down" '01 Geo Prizm with about 95,000 miles (exact same engine and body style as the '99 VE, but with more options) for a dirt cheap price. In the meantime, I'm still driving the Corolla since this won't happen until at least May '08 if I decide to take dad's old car.

To:

98ceMCO, 01loadedLE, bikeman982, and TRCar54.....Thanks for addressing my issues on the window frames and the headliner and helping to keep this thread alive. I wish I had more time to discuss this right now, but I have to get packed for my road trip to northern Iowa that starts tomorrow morning. I will try to work on this in a later update.

Who knows? Maybe if I can push this Corolla to the 250,000 mile mark I'll start uploading some pics of the car (the poor old beast would probably deserve such recognition at that point! default_laugh ).

~Benford's Law

From your mileage numbers it seems that you do about 18,000 miles a year and it will be a year and a half until you reach 250,000 miles.

Keep up the driving and don't take the Geo Prizm (if you do, just sell it). Let's see how far your Corolla will go!!

I wonder why his started at 102K and my oil issue started at the 80K mark...that's quite a difference don't you think? Plus my LE was sitting in a garage for 3 years prior to my purchasing it. Yes, it was driven once in awhile (maybe twice a month?)..I not sure how else to account for the low mileage...

Bikeman982

I wonder why his started at 102K and my oil issue started at the 80K mark...that's quite a difference don't you think? Plus my LE was sitting in a garage for 3 years prior to my purchasing it. Yes, it was driven once in awhile (maybe twice a month?)..I not sure how else to account for the low mileage...
Every car and every engine has a different life.

Yours may have been driven hard for a short time, or easy for a long time, or any combination.

Cars have to be driven fairly regularly to avoid damage due to non-use.

Benford's Law

Some quick replies:

ycr99 - Actually the oil in my '99 VE didn't start getting consumed until about 140,000 miles. Ever since it was bought new it was driven almost every day. Mostly highway driving at 60-65 MPH. It has been driven in the city about 20% of the time. No hard accelerating at red stoplights, either. I am guessing it uses 2-3 quarts between oil changes every 3,000 miles, but I haven't kept a count.....just a case of oil in the trunk as bikeman982 suggested elsewhere.

Bikeman982 - Yes, I am interested in seeing how far the Corolla can go, too, but I will probably take the Geo as a second car, anyway, unless I get rich in the stock market and buy a Toyota Avalon or Lexus . From 1999-2006 the car was driven roughly 30,000 miles a year for my dad's commute to his teaching job at college. Even though the car was bought new and used a lot on the highway, the VE doesn't have cruise control! default_dry I kept up this pace of driving for other purposes last year but I've driven it a bit less this year since I haven't needed the car as much. The car's still driving strong, but I needed about 3/4's of a quart of 5W-30 for the 600 mile trip I just completed (some city driving was involved, too).

~Benford's Law

Bikeman982

Some quick replies:ycr99 - Actually the oil in my '99 VE didn't start getting consumed until about 140,000 miles. Ever since it was bought new it was driven almost every day. Mostly highway driving at 60-65 MPH. It has been driven in the city about 20% of the time. No hard accelerating at red stoplights, either. I am guessing it uses 2-3 quarts between oil changes every 3,000 miles, but I haven't kept a count.....just a case of oil in the trunk as bikeman982 suggested elsewhere.

Bikeman982 - Yes, I am interested in seeing how far the Corolla can go, too, but I will probably take the Geo as a second car, anyway, unless I get rich in the stock market and buy a Toyota Avalon or Lexus . From 1999-2006 the car was driven roughly 30,000 miles a year for my dad's commute to his teaching job at college. Even though the car was bought new and used a lot on the highway, the VE doesn't have cruise control! default_dry I kept up this pace of driving for other purposes last year but I've driven it a bit less this year since I haven't needed the car as much. The car's still driving strong, but I needed about 3/4's of a quart of 5W-30 for the 600 mile trip I just completed (some city driving was involved, too).

~Benford's Law

If you get the Geo, you will probably put less miles on the 'rolla.

Benford's Law

Just another quick update...231,020 miles. Everything's running well. It's a shame this car uses so much oil because in all other respects the car has been quite roadworthy. Still runs great and peppy with very adequate passing and freeway merging power when needed. Spring is here and the weather's warming up again. I can always tell this car needs an oil change when it starts to burn through a whole quart of 5W-30 in a mere 400 miles. The sequence of adding oil after a fresh oil change seems to go like this:

1 qt. - 1,200 miles

1 qt. - 900 miles

1 qt. - 600 miles

1 qt. - 400 miles

I am aware that the oil shears down to a lighter weight later in the oil change cycle. You can go ahead and laugh at me for not switching to a heavier 10W-30 to stem the bleeding but this car has been using the same weight of oil for so long now that I am too afraid of what might happen if I switch (I am not an expert mechanic).

Minor headliner and plastic door frame issues still not resolved, been too busy lately.

~Benford's Law

EDIT - I tested the gas mileage on this car. It's still getting 38 mpg on the highway at 60 mph. About 36 mpg at 65 mph. This average included a 20% mix of stop-and-go downtown city driving.

Great fuel economy for that many miles on the clock. You might want to try Valvoline DuraBlend 5w-30 High Mileage oils - reported to really help in some oil consumption cases (seal conditioners, viscosity modifiers). Auto-Rx treatments might also help with consumption - but it depends on where the oil is going.

I'd say at this point - since everything else is running well - is just to keep feeding it oil when needed. As the consumption is bad, but could be a lot worse. First quart needed at 1200 miles is within the norm for cars with this kind of mileage.

Benford's Law

fishexpo101,

I thought about your suggestion on the Valvoline 5W-30 DuraBlend and/or MaxLife oils and I gave my local trusted oil change place a phone call over it. They have these blends available but they charge $10 extra. Since I am regularly buying big 5-quart jugs of regular Valvoline 5W-30 for $11-12 at Wal-Mart the whole situation seems like a "wash" at this point (and that is considering the improved oil blends would help the consumption problem).

~Benford's Law

Benford's Law

Just another quick update:

Haven't driven the Corolla very much in the last six months....but the odometer is at 236,560 now. I finally had to get a new starter for the car a month ago. Mechanic was amazed the original starter lasted so long!! Charged me about $250 for parts and labor...not too bad, I think. Caught a flat tire and the replacement is the same tire code, but a different brand....makes weird noises at highway speeds as a result and a hubcap is permanently lost. Oh, well....It gets me from point A to B well enough.

Still using and feeding it Valvoline 5W-30. Been a fairly unlucky 5,000 miles with the starter and tire. Everything else is running well! I will want to have some pictures taken of the car sometime soon, but the car would look a bit shabby because I still haven't bothered to fix the cracked windshield, the melting plastic on the door pillars, or the sagging rear headliner. Lazy me!

~Benford's Law

EDIT - reason: Mileage correction

My corolla burns oil too. I go to the dealership for oil/filter change, after driven 1,100 miles, I had to add 1.5q of oil...

The car is only getting me 25-27 mpg city/hwy. default_dry

Bikeman982

As long as the car does not leak oil and it passes your state inspections plus you still want to drive it - then keep it forever.

A quart of oil every 900 miles or so is no big expense and it is cheaper than the cost of a new car.

As long as the car does not leak oil and it passes your state inspections plus you still want to drive it - then keep it forever.A quart of oil every 900 miles or so is no big expense and it is cheaper than the cost of a new car.

Thats true Bikeman, but eventually it will add up! default_unsure The car still drives very smooth, just wish I know how to fix the oil consumption...

High mileage engines can develop worn and leaking piston ring packs/seals can increase oil consumption, especially if oil is thin enough (i.e. it has sheared back). In addition to a heavier oil or a heavier synthetic oil, consider using a product like Auto-Rx, which can effectively clean ring packs (and just about anything else internal to the engine.), sealing them better.

Check very closely for any blue smoke on cold engine starts, if there is replace the valve stem seals. some of the other advice is very good. I would first use auto-rx or other slow engine cleaner like b-g products.

Rock auto

1999 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.8L 1794cc L4 FI ® [1ZZFE] : Engine : Valve Stem Seal Set Save

ItemPriceCoreTotalAdvice

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0225022 More Info

Intake

+ Sold in packs of 4; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack

Part Image

$1.85$0.00$1.85

Add to Cart

FEL-PRO Part # SS728781 More Info

Eng. Code "1ZZFE"; Premium valve stem seals incl.

Part Image

$32.79$0.00$32.79

Add to Cart

Benford:

Thanks for keeping us posted. I've got a 2000CE that I bought new that now has 205,000 miles. Mine also burns lots of oil.

I tried 10-30 this summer and it didn't really make any difference that I could see. I changed the oil last week and noticed that I had went almost 10,000 miles since the last change. But since I put in probably over 5 gallons of 10-30 oil in that period of time (10,000miles/500 per quart), I'm not too worried.

My check engine light comes on and goes off on a weekly basis now. Its always the Cat efficiency code. I drive highway all week, which increases oil consumption. So usually by thursday, the light comes on. I fix that by several in-town errands on weekends, which don't use as much oil. I learned here, I think, that the ECM looks at 5 cycles to decide whether the Cat convertor is working efficiently, and then trips or clears the light. Last weekend, I made several start/stop trips Xmas shopping with car warm. Sure enough, light went off on sunday, then came on today (friday). Need to run some short errands this weekend to fix it again. ;-)

We don't have emission testing in my area, so I live with it. I buy oil by the gallon or five quart bottle. I gave up on the really good stuff, it just isn't in the engine long enough to matter. I do spring for good filters though.

Other than the oil issue, its been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I plan on keeping it as long as possible. I live in North Alabama, so it has no rust at all.

Only parts I've replaced (other than wear items) are the catalytic converter and O2 sensor 18 months ago, and two weeks ago, the left front caliper. It was dragging, so they put a new one on as part of a front brake job. I smelled something hot and almost burned my hand on the left front tire rim.

Jim

Bikeman982

Extra oil and normal maintenance on a used car is still cheaper than a new car (which may have it's own problems).

Benford's Law

Hi Jim,

I just wanted to say that the "Check Engine Light" has never been lit up on the dash for as long as I have driven the car (since ~170,000). My dad told me he had a "sensor" problem involving the Corolla years ago that incorrectly displayed the engine light, but it is a vague memory to him now.

I also grab the 5W-30 Valvoline by the 5-quart jug whenever I can.

I regularly change the AutoZone air filters (with my super-limited mechanic skills), but it hasn't needed changing as often in the last year since I haven't driven it over dirty/gravelly roads much the last 15-20,000 miles or so.

~Benford's Law

Benford:

Thanks for keeping us posted. I've got a 2000CE that I bought new that now has 205,000 miles. Mine also burns lots of oil.

I tried 10-30 this summer and it didn't really make any difference that I could see. I changed the oil last week and noticed that I had went almost 10,000 miles since the last change. But since I put in probably over 5 gallons of 10-30 oil in that period of time (10,000miles/500 per quart), I'm not too worried.

My check engine light comes on and goes off on a weekly basis now. Its always the Cat efficiency code. I drive highway all week, which increases oil consumption. So usually by thursday, the light comes on. I fix that by several in-town errands on weekends, which don't use as much oil. I learned here, I think, that the ECM looks at 5 cycles to decide whether the Cat convertor is working efficiently, and then trips or clears the light. Last weekend, I made several start/stop trips Xmas shopping with car warm. Sure enough, light went off on sunday, then came on today (friday). Need to run some short errands this weekend to fix it again. ;-)

We don't have emission testing in my area, so I live with it. I buy oil by the gallon or five quart bottle. I gave up on the really good stuff, it just isn't in the engine long enough to matter. I do spring for good filters though.

Other than the oil issue, its been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I plan on keeping it as long as possible. I live in North Alabama, so it has no rust at all.

Only parts I've replaced (other than wear items) are the catalytic converter and O2 sensor 18 months ago, and two weeks ago, the left front caliper. It was dragging, so they put a new one on as part of a front brake job. I smelled something hot and almost burned my hand on the left front tire rim.

Jim

I think I might be tempted to try the SeaFoam product on these Gen 8 cars. Some in the crankcase might do the trick if fouled and stuck rings are suspected. I only use 2 or 3 ounces in the crankcase as a cleaner but I don't have the oil usage problems described in this post.

Not sure, but if the oil is getting into the exhaust, the SeaFoam might even clean the cat as it is a decarbonizing product. If you already are getting Cat codes, I'd put some through the intake as instructed on the can. It wont hurt anything...the cat is most likely already junk.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Benford's Law

Just along to add another update before I forget.

Odometer at a little over 240,300 miles.

Things are humming along the same as before, though the engine seems to finally run a little louder when going uphill on the highway. Maybe it's finally starting to get a little "tired", but it still runs very reliably.

New windshield put on. Two new tires put on because it appears the oil change guy accidentally put the wheel on backwards (!) during a scheduled tire rotation.

Still haven't worked on the headliners or warped plastic doorframes yet.

Did catch a nice compliment from the state certified inspector who examined the engine/undercarriage, etc...."Wow, the car still is in good shape for 239,000 miles" (this was a few weeks ago).

Just as Jim described earlier in this thread, the Corolla had the "Check Engine Light" come on but it turned out to be a minor emissions-related issue. Just was told to watch for the blinking light even though I didn't go to AutoZone for the diagnostic tool/code reader. (Too lazy or busy or something like that...)

Anyway, she's still running!

~Benford's Law

Benford:

It's good to hear that your corolla is still up and running. I used to have a 02 Corolla CE, had to sell it in april because the whole AC thing went out at 78,000 miles (which would cost at least $1,200 to get it fixed) and a great deal of a 02 Protege came up (i couldn't resist lol). The corolla's engine did feel a lot more refined than the protege's. Mine also started to consume oil around the 70k mark (not too bad - like half to one quart every 3000miles, but im sure it will get worse if i had kept the car), i remember it started doing that after the shop put 1 qt oil over the full line (didn't know if it was related.) but anyway that car always started every time and never die on me. If I am gonna get another car in the future I will definitely look for another corolla or matrix.

Benford's Law

default_smile

Wow, it's been a long time since I made my last update post about my '99 VE. 15 months! Unfortunately I haven't driven the Corolla much at all since then, as the odometer reads only about 247,700 miles. Did something bad happen to the car? Nope! But it did finally need a new starter and serpentine belt. It was the original serpentine belt (RIP - Served well for 245,000 miles default_tongue ).

Work, family, outside activities, other cars, etc. all have prevented me from driving the car much over the last 15 months...but on the very next update it will pass 250,000 miles (I'm very confident it will make it) and it will be time to finally post some pics after passing this interesting milestone (Will try to take pics of original 1ZZFE engine, interior, trunk holding my box of oil, odometer, etc.). An incompatible printer/scanner driver from my old H-P computer has proven difficult to update to match my new H-P computer, but I'll definitely work on this to get the pics posted somehow over the next 3-6 months. I will try to drive the Corolla around a little more too when I can.

All is good, oil still burns a lot, especially in the summer. And, sorry I took so long to post another update...easy to forget sometimes.

On a quick final note: it's a shame to hear about the problems Toyota is having on other fronts (unintended acceleration, etc. which seems to be debatable at this point) because this car has been very good to me, and any problems it has had are normal wear & tear issues except maybe for the continuous oil burning. Still driving with confidence!

~Benford's Law

EDIT - Just in case anyone wonders, "How did the car get so many miles on it since it seems you only drive it 8-12,000 miles per year?" Simple, I got the car from my dad in 2005 and it was already close to 200k miles at that point.

That's good to hear that it's still going. My daughters is on it's way to 209,000 and still humming along. Just did a tuneup, oil change, and the valve cover gasket during the last month. I think it needs the exhaust donut replaced since it makes a kind of putt-putt noise during acceleration - but it's not overly loud. Even with the high mileage I'm not to awful worried about the car stranding her. I'm on a cycle of marvel mystery oil as well and noticed that the consumption has gone down since I got the car last spring.

Benford's Law

I have some sad news to report default_sad

248,570 miles on the odometer. Was driving home on the highway...Check Engine Light flashes for 5 seconds, then goes solid.

Corolla idled roughly at stoplights, too, so I went to the mechanic to have a diagnostic run.

Not good. Cylinder PSI's are 185,175,135, and 0! Yes, it's running on three cylinders now default_sad

He basically told me the 1ZZ-FE is on life support now and should only be driven around town, no long trips.

Fishexpo once said that 1ZZ-FE's are spec'd to give out 218 psi (I think)...two of the cylinders are reasonably good, one is on the way out, and one has now "stopped".

Very little warning beforehand...Not sure what to do yet, I'm at a loss on how to fix this one (and so close to 250k miles, too!)

Any ideas or suggestions to keep this project alive? Always appreciated if you have any (I know next to nothing about engine internals, I'm afraid.) Thanks in advance.

~Benford's Law

Topic List