Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New To Owning A Corolla

by John Garrett August 20, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I've extended my Mobil1 oil changes out past 8000 miles with plenty of life left on the oil, with the UOA saying the oil is still healthy and still has life left. This is with mostly a 3 mile drive one way to work and back.

The 1ZZFE is not a sludging engine. People who fail to change their oil sludge engines...but I'd be suprised if they could sludge this one. I beat my 05 like a dog, like it owes me money...minimal wear, oil within grade, minimal shearing, plenty of TBN...sludging engine...pfff...

Tin box with a disposable engine? Amazing...

The last two 'US' trucks I've owned, a 91 S-10 2.8L and a 95 Dakota 3.9L, both made it past 150,000 with absolute minimal engine maintenance, sold both in perfect operating condition...so don't think I'm terribly biased to Toyota...

Is there any merit to this angry poster's claims that corolla's cylinders cast-in iron sleeves are too thin to rebuilt? Actually, I've been thinking about tranny swapping and rebuilding the engine in the future, so if the angry poster is right, then I might have to reconsider.
its a sleeved block, the sleeves can only be bored out so far before you need to replace the sleeves. steel sleeved alloy blocks are very common, many import automakers use them because it allows for the same output as the cast iron block but with a lighter weight. this is comprable to making more power from the same displacement, but is alot easier since more hp/liter lends to more stress on the engine. make 120hp from 200lbs or make 120hp from 70lbs, which one is going to make a better car? the vq35 nissan motor is a great example, the block alone weighs about 50lbs, a cast iron block of the same size would weigh 250-300lbs. a lighter engine in the front also reduces brake dive and can make your front brakes last longer, and the car handle better.

Is there any merit to this angry poster's claims that corolla's cylinders cast-in iron sleeves are too thin to rebuilt? Actually, I've been thinking about tranny swapping and rebuilding the engine in the future, so if the angry poster is right, then I might have to reconsider.

GM trucks are piece of crap,, the auto transmissions leak/ self destruct, I have friend that have them.

THe engines are OK for rebuidling and that stuff, but you gotta ask, how many toyotas need the engines

rebuilt???

To each his own, I hope you are owner of some GM stock, the whole company is crap.

You know why GM is losing market share to toyota and imports, they have dumb management,

they think the american consumer is also dumb.

GM has some very nice engines, but a poor reliability reputation when compared to imports

Well John you certainly had a negative experience with that Corolla....but it sounds like you go outfoxxed by that nice little old lady.

You stated that you didn't think she even changed the oil. If true, you can't really expect much from the car. 101,000 miles on a 5 or 6 year old is not considered little old lady miles either.

Dodge also has their own sludging issues.....it's a fairly new phenomena with engines that are getting regular oi changes and still show sludge. Google Durango sludge...it's there.

Take a look at some of the recalls of the Dodge Durango. Significant problems. Wheels falling off due to ball joint failures...drivers seat fires....yeah that's an owie.

My 95 Corolla has been unbelievable and my daughter's 1998 Camry appears to be cut from the same cloth. I run Mobil 1 on everything and run at 15K intervals. I run 10K intervals on the Camry because it is one of the cars that is suppoed to be affected by sludge.

I will always attribute most of my success with vehicle longevity to keeping most repairs in-house. I keep my cars a long time, I know them and what has been done along the way because I have done the work. Too many mechanics throw parts a t cars.

One thing I will agree though....I'll be watching the quality chatter. I doesn't appear that the 8th gen can compare to the 7th gen in terms of bulletproof design. Time will tell it it was a Toyota glitch or not.

Good luck whichever way you go,

Jay in MA

Too late in the day to reply but I'll be back....I felt the same way about a 1998 Ford Ranger that I owned recently. 

Don't go away John. There's a lot of general automotive info here as well.

Jay in MA

Topic List