Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Corolla Serpentine Belt.

by racket1976, August 18, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

hi. is some noise comming from the serpentine belt area an indication that the belt should be replaced? the noise is only heard when starting the car in the morning and disappear after a while.

Does anyone have a diagram for how the belt goes on? I got mine off but can't get it back on. Or can someone take a pic of theirs and send it to me. dsmithule@hotmail.com

default_biggrin I hope this helps as this is a actual toyota tech copy at this link but i will add to check and lossen the locking bolt before attempting to pivot the swing arm 1/2 turn at most just in case something is wrong with the tensioner. also the life of any serpentine belt is 50,000 miles with reliability after that you are taking a big risk as a serpentine belt faults are best seen after the belt is removed , reversed and then bent sharply and you can see the cracks in the belt. with the proper maint you do not need a spare.

https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/joew.../toyotabelt.jpg

you should be able to do this yourself i buy my belt from advance auto parts if you do not have one in your area you can save alot of money at rock auto online http://www.rockauto.com/ with fast delivery even when you pick the cheapest delivery method.

remember to tighten the tensioner bolt back up when done replacing the belt.

good luck default_wink

so do you guys actually recommend the OEM toyota part or a different belt? Mine seems to squeel a little when its very wet outside, I have an '05 with 38k miles. Thanks for the info.

The OEM belt is Bando - pretty good company. Other good ones are Dayco, Gates, and Goodyear. Some have used Goodyear's Gatorback poly-V belt with good results. Has a different design that help bite the pulley a bit more - or so they say. This will be my next purchase on the list for a new belt for the Matrix - OEM is good, but tends to squeal when dusty or wet (seems to be pretty common with the 9th gen Corollas). The OEM Bando belt on my 8th gen Corolla, actually has been rock solid - got about 40K on the second belt and it still looks like new (original one was changed at 90K - still was in good shape, just changed because of the high mileage).

The OEM belt is Bando - pretty good company. Other good ones are Dayco, Gates, and Goodyear. Some have used Goodyear's Gatorback poly-V belt with good results. Has a different design that help bite the pulley a bit more - or so they say. This will be my next purchase on the list for a new belt for the Matrix - OEM is good, but tends to squeal when dusty or wet (seems to be pretty common with the 9th gen Corollas). The OEM Bando belt on my 8th gen Corolla, actually has been rock solid - got about 40K on the second belt and it still looks like new (original one was changed at 90K - still was in good shape, just changed because of the high mileage).

Even though I still have power train, I am thinking of buying the Chilton manual for my car ($18.00) for such small jobs I can do myself. There are very good instructions on this forum, but for stuff in general I have always bought the manual. However, this is my newest car ever and my first with a warranty, so i feel guilty buying the book...any suggestions?

Max

I'd have it done under warranty if possible. Why spend money and time you don't have to?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)