Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Harry, May 20, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I suggest looking at www.car-part.com

I found out about that too late. They do list several different used harnesses. What engine/tranny are you swapping? I have a good used 3 speed tranny, computer and harness cheap. default_tongue

Bikeman982

Upon further examination I have discovered that the engine wiring harness I am using does connect to the ECU/ECM, however the connector that comes from under the dash (part of the cars internal wiring) has the wrong connector and does not fit the ECM/ECU. It is similar to what goes into the ECM/ECU for the 4A-FE. I don't know what all the wires go to, or how to change the connector/wiring to fit the 7A-FE ECM/ECU that I am swapping to.

Not sure what 4A and 7A are or mean. Sorry. I have the schematics from the Haynes manual and the GM manual for the 2001 if that would help.

Not sure what 4A and 7A are or mean. Sorry. I have the schematics from the Haynes manual and the GM manual for the 2001 if that would help.
4A and 7A are Toyota A series engines (4A-FE or 7A-FE). The gross differences are in the displacements of the engine - 4A is a 1.6L engine, the 7A is a 1.8L engine.

Bikeman982

4A and 7A are Toyota A series engines (4A-FE or 7A-FE). The gross differences are in the displacements of the engine - 4A is a 1.6L engine, the 7A is a 1.8L engine.

I have been informed that the 1.6L tranny is hydraulic shift and the 1.8L is computer controlled electronic shift. Is this true and what does that mean as far as a swap??

I highly doubt that, doesn't make sense - as both auto transmissions (3-speed A131L and 4-speed A245E) were offered with both 1.6L and 1.8L A-series engines. The 4-speed does have more "electronic" control than the 3-speed - but both behave the same way mechanically.

From what I've found out, the A131(3 speed) transmission is entirely hydraulicly controlled, with TV cable input, and the A245(4 speed) has shift solenoids for all gears and the torque convertor. The 4 speed also has more inputs from/for the P/N switch to the computer.

I think the 1.6L was only offered with a manual 5 speed or 3 speed auto. Both of which were mechanically controlled. Only the 4 speed is electronically controlled offered for the 1.8L.

You guys are right - I looked over the service manuals for both transmissions, right after I posted, and can see that there are four oil feed tubes to the valve body on the A131L 3-speed and three shift solenoids on the A245E 4-speed.

Bikeman982

How is that affected on a tranny swap?

There is a different electrical connector, where do the extra wires go - to the ECM/ECU?

Yep. There are a total of 4 wires from the P/N switch to the pcm and 2 shift solenoids and 1 torque converter clutch solenoid wires to the PCM.

Bikeman982

That explains the larger connector.

First tank of gas thru the Prizm since the tranny swap, fuel economy went from 32.5 to 36.4. Not bad, tho I was hoping for @37 or better.

Bikeman982

First tank of gas thru the Prizm since the tranny swap, fuel economy went from 32.5 to 36.4. Not bad, tho I was hoping for @37 or better.
Sounds like a big improvement.

Second tank, 37.2, this is mostly highway driving, I commute 48 miles each way and the first 5 and the last 6 are city or slower driving. I'm pretty jazzed about it.

Bikeman982

Second tank, 37.2, this is mostly highway driving, I commute 48 miles each way and the first 5 and the last 6 are city or slower driving. I'm pretty jazzed about it.
Better gas mileage than before.

Harry;

Did you sw it computer? It is not logical having this swap without switching computer or jumping terminals to swap the computer code to accommodate to the 4 solenoids...the ECU has tranny code that will be triggered, also what has happened with the O/D button?

I am planning to do this swap in a corolla 2003, I have not come to a point to be convinced since I will be forced to change computer also.

Topic List