Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Sean, March 8, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

We just bought a brand new 2006 Corolla LE with automatic transmission about two weeks ago and I am wondering if anybody has any insight on a possible problem we are having.

It has ABS and cruise/six disc changer but not the fancy security system.

It is my wife's car and she is not happy with the doors locking on her after she parks it in the garage.

I thought the doors were supposed to stay unlocked once a door is opened to get out of the car.

I looked throught the owners manual but it has not helped. I saw that the doors are supposed to relock if they are unlocked with the remote but not opened and I have tried this successfully.

I saw the different modes of autolocking based on shifting in and out of park etc but none of these seem to include anything about locking the doors after exiting the car. So far I have not attempted to change the mode since my wife likes the doors locking when she shifts out of park and unlocking when she shifts back to park.

She first noticed this issue after she left her purse in the car (with keys in the purse) and it locked her out. She missed a meeting because I was miles away at work.

Now it is mainly an irritation but she worries something or somebody else will eventually get locked in the car.

She swears she is not locking the doors after she opens the drivers door although this is what she does when she does want to lock the car.

I have not been able to repeat the problem despite my best efforts at recreating the sequence of events that happens on her typical trips. I havn't given up but so far, no matter what I do, the doors stay unlocked after I get out.

Has anybody experienced this problem? Is this some kind of feature being exercised by some wierd sequence of events? Could it be some other transmitter somewhere with the same code?

Thanks for any ideas. I am really scratching my head over this one.

Sean

Bikeman982

I think the door locks are on a timer and will lock automatically after a short period of time, whether you have the door open or not. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

• 1,424 posts

On the 2003 and newer Toyotas, if you press the unlock button on the remote keyless entry and don't open a door within 20 seconds, the doors relock themselves. This would occur if the keyless entry remote was damaged or the button was slightly pushed in your wife's purse. It has happened to me putting the remote in my pocket before. Try keeping the keys out of the purse and see if this helps. Otherwise, take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Wow! This is an active forum.

Last night I messed around with it. When I finally gave up the doors were unlocked. When I got up this morning I checked and they were still unlocked. When I got home from work, sure enough, they were locked and my wife swore she had not locked them.

This is happening when/after she exits the car. The doors unlock when she shifts into park. She gets out. She swears she does not touch that lock button on the door or remote. The doors mysteriously lock.

I have seen the remote relock in action. If you unlock the doors from outside using the remote but don't open a door they relock in about 30 seconds. This may be related to what we are seeing but I still think the doors are supposed to stay unlocked if one is opened after using the remote to unlock the car (at least until autolock locks it when she shifts out of park). I'll try this in a few minutes.

I personally still prefer cars with manual locks and manual windows and this is not helping my old fashioned viewpoint.

Thanks for the replies!

Sean

• 1,424 posts

I have an '05 LE with ABS and 6-disc indash CD. I also have a moonroof. So our cars should be highly similar. I have mine set to lock when I shift out of park and unlock when I shift into park. Our locking modes are the same. My car doesn't auto re-lock the doors after the car is turned off and I exit. It only did that one time, and that was when I hit the unlock button while putting the remote into my pocket after exiting the car.

I still bet on one of two things:

1) Your wife is having the button somehow pushed when she exits the car, especially if she puts it in her purse.

2) Your remote transmitter or module has gone haywire and needs replaced.

Those both sound like possibilities.

The remotes do seem to have a bit of a hair trigger and the buttons are not very recessed. Still it is happening an awful lot (but not always).

I asked my wife to try carrying the remote inside and putting it somewhere instead of putting it in her purse or pocket.

If that doesn't change anything I might try switching our remotes.

I hope it is not the transmitter because I would probably need to repeat the problem to get the dealer to take action and, so far, I have not been able to cause it to happen.

Thanks,

Sean

This makes me really appreciate my wisdom in buying a CE w/o any of these crappy convenience gadgets.

When I want the doors locked, I lock them. When I want them open, I open them.

Shame the auto headlight switch wasn't also an option that could be omitted.

This makes me really appreciate my wisdom in buying a CE w/o any of these crappy convenience gadgets.

When I want the doors locked, I lock them. When I want them open, I open them.

Shame the auto headlight switch wasn't also an option that could be omitted.

I agree 100%!

• 1,424 posts

My grandfather has the same opinion about convenience features you guys have. He won't buy a car with a moonroof because it might leak, and he won't buy a car with any complicated feature because complicated things break. You know what, if you carry that philosophy to its logical conclusion, you shouldn't have a car because an engine and transmission are complex things with many parts to go bad.

I'm sorry, but I personally never bought that philosophy. One reason is that I've had far more problems that weren't convenience feature related on cars I've driven than convenience feature problems. The reason is this: The power top on my Chrysler broke after the car was 8 years old. I could have said at that point, "damn that power top, should have bought a manual top, would never of had this happen." I didn't, instead I though that even though the top is broken now, I'm glad I bought it, because the 8 years of not having to get out of the car to put the top up and down was well worth it.

That being said, you are certainly entitled to your opinions.

One thing of note, I do have a slight problem with one of my Corolla's features. The moonroof works exactly as it is supposed to, but I have a problem with how Toyota designed it. On the Camry, you only have to push the sunrood switch once to auto open and once to auto close. On the Mazda3 you have to hold the switch to close the moonroof. On the Corolla, you must push the switch and hold it. This closes the sunroof 1/2 of the way. you must then release the switch and press and hold it again to close it the rest of the way. Come on Toyota, do you think everyone that drives a Corolla is some stupid teenager who will stick their body out of the moonroof and thus needs it to stop at 1/2 closed?

Anyway, Sean, any luck with your problem?

When I got home today the door was still unlocked. It is way too early to claim victory so I will continue to keep an eye on it.

I would be very happy if it turns out to just be an accidental remote button pushing problem!

Bikeman982

I have my car keys on a chain that is tied to my pants. I can't get out of the car without shutting it off and I can't get out of the car without the key. It is a simple system that works for me. Right now I have no remote anything and I have not locked myself out of my car in many years (since 1972). I believe in modern technology and convenience items, because I believe anything can either work or fail to work whenever the cosmic energy decides it is the right time. Murphy's laws also have an effect and if you don't know what they are I suggest you check into it. There is also Northrop C. Parkinson who has expanded on Murphy and has some laws of his own. In the greater picture of things, everything will eventually turn to dust and materialism is futile. Just enjoy what you have and fix things when they brake, or get over it.

Consumer Reports just mentioned the "gadget" problems in the new auto issue.

I understand the need for a computer to control fuel injection and emissions, but overcomplicating simple things increases repair cost. Take power windows, $350 - $400 per motor to replace.

Keep it simple and reduce repair costs.

Bikeman982

Consumer Reports just mentioned the "gadget" problems in the new auto issue.

I understand the need for a computer to control fuel injection and emissions, but overcomplicating simple things increases repair cost. Take power windows, $350 - $400 per motor to replace.

Keep it simple and reduce repair costs.

Obviously repair costs are there for the people doing the repairs. It provides them a job. All the gadgets are job security for people. I agree that when things are kept simple, there is less that can go wrong with them. It seems like there are people out there who like to complicate things and automobiles are just one of them. Some people call it "Progress". Other people just call it a pain in the ---.

• 1,424 posts

Newsflash, usually when something like a power window fails, it isn't the motor. It is the regulator or the gearset. Manual windows, locks, sunroofs, etc. have regulators and gearsets also, and they are no less likely to fail than their electric counterparts. I know plenty of people with all manual stuff that have windows that won't roll up because the regulator broke and door locks that won't work because the pins broke in half. Their manual stuff didn't save them from the hassle of repairs, or the expense. I don't have manual stuff, I have the convenience of not having to screw with cranks and whatnot, and I don't face any higher chance of hastle or expense.

BTW, this will be my last post on this issue of this type. It doesn't help Sean any for us to come on his post and debate if manual features are better than power ones or visa versa. He asked for help with a problem, which I attempted to provide seeing as how I have a very similar car. Our posts arguing about "convenience" gadgets didn't help him.

Bikeman982

Newsflash, usually when something like a power window fails, it isn't the motor. It is the regulator or the gearset. Manual windows, locks, sunroofs, etc. have regulators and gearsets also, and they are no less likely to fail than their electric counterparts. I know plenty of people with all manual stuff that have windows that won't roll up because the regulator broke and door locks that won't work because the pins broke in half. Their manual stuff didn't save them from the hassle of repairs, or the expense. I don't have manual stuff, I have the convenience of not having to screw with cranks and whatnot, and I don't face any higher chance of hastle or expense.

BTW, this will be my last post on this issue of this type. It doesn't help Sean any for us to come on his post and debate if manual features are better than power ones or visa versa. He asked for help with a problem, which I attempted to provide seeing as how I have a very similar car. Our posts arguing about "convenience" gadgets didn't help him.

Maybe there should be a new topic for that discussion??

I hope it is not the transmitter because I would probably need to repeat the problem to get the dealer to take action and, so far, I have not been able to cause it to happen.
Since you say your wife always has this problem and not you, how about when you both are there at the same time? Can she recreate it when you are watching her come out of the car? Maybe it's one of the two things 99contour mentioned earlier? (Or, the car has a gender sensor ? LOL)

Ti-Jean

Switch remote key fobs.

Bikeman982

Since you say your wife always has this problem and not you, how about when you both are there at the same time? Can she recreate it when you are watching her come out of the car? Maybe it's one of the two things 99contour mentioned earlier? (Or, the car has a gender sensor ? LOL)

She must be doing something different, if it occurs for her, but not for you.

We havn't seen the problem since we started paying more attention to what was going on with the remotes.

I'm starting to think it was just the remote buttons getting pressed accidentally or even my wife hitting the lock button on the way out of the car without thinking of it.

Now I just have to be careful not to set off the hair trigger.

The remotes are touchy too.

Bikeman982

Like all electronic things, you have to be careful not to accidentally switch them. You might consider putting some kind of protection around the switch or button. You could also place the remote in a small box that would have to be opened before it could be used. It might be more of an inconvenience but it would save you some trouble in the long run.

Glad you seem to have it figured out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just bought some new original stock Trimline telephones from the 1980's.

O blessed relief, you pick it up, you dial, and the call goes through. No confusing buttons to accidently press and screw up the operation of your phone.

Yes, extra features are good if you need them and will use them. If not, I'll take basic quality over added function.

Please excuse the rantings above from an old fart who will be eligible to retire next year.

Bikeman982

Glad you seem to have it figured out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just bought some new original stock Trimline telephones from the 1980's.

O blessed relief, you pick it up, you dial, and the call goes through. No confusing buttons to accidently press and screw up the operation of your phone.

Yes, extra features are good if you need them and will use them. If not, I'll take basic quality over added function.

Please excuse the rantings above from an old fart who will be eligible to retire next year.

Who would that be??

What's a "hair trigger"? Since when does a Corolla have a 'hair trigger'??

Why does it need one?? If anything, the Corolla could use side bars installed between the doors, which have been said already.

Also, they could use more options in color. Also what would be nice, doors unlocking when you open the handle, but I think that's a Lexus or Infinity feature...

Bikeman982

What's a "hair trigger"? Since when does a Corolla have a 'hair trigger'??

Why does it need one?? If anything, the Corolla could use side bars installed between the doors, which have been said already.

Also, they could use more options in color. Also what would be nice, doors unlocking when you open the handle, but I think that's a Lexus or Infinity feature...

A "hair trigger" probably means just a very sensitive button on the remote door lock controller.

I'm the flatulent fossil aka old fart.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)