Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By rivas240sx, November 11, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

That sucks. I just changed the tension pulley on my mother's 01' Corolla and bought the whole assembly from the dealer for $150.00. At least the next time I'll just change the pulley for $15.00.

Guest andystep12

I'd like to let everyone know that I tried this fix. As in right now there is a brand new, put on today, pulley on my 2002 Corolla that is making a rattling noise just upon initial acceleration particularly with the AC on.

IT DID NOT WORK.

(That's not yelling I just don't want anyone to miss it). It appears the whole assembly does need to be replaced. I suggest you do not try this method as it did not work for me.

If you do decide to try it, the size bit you need to get the tensioner pulley off (at least on a 2002) is a Torx T45 not an Allen Wrench or Hex Key. Also there is a dust cover that needs to be popped off to remove the pulley (pop it off with a knife to get to the Torx bolt).

Once again, it did not work. I do not suggest trying it. But if you decide to I've given you the missing information to make it easier on you.

Bikeman982

Pulley remover tools are also available, if you can't get it off using the normal pull/pry method.

To help diagnosis the problem 'child' use a hollow tube and put it near each pulley , etc.. if you hear the noise really well then that is your problem child.

Disclaimer this has to be done while the engine is running and belt spinning. be careful not to get the tube caught anywhere. It could hurt you or your engine if it does.

If the noise goes away at certain times of operation... just try replacing the belt and see if that fixes your noise issue. (belt slippage is common)

T

I'd like to let everyone know that I tried this fix. As in right now there is a brand new, put on today, pulley on my 2002 Corolla that is making a rattling noise just upon initial acceleration particularly with the AC on.

IT DID NOT WORK.

(That's not yelling I just don't want anyone to miss it). It appears the whole assembly does need to be replaced. I suggest you do not try this method as it did not work for me.

If you do decide to try it, the size bit you need to get the tensioner pulley off (at least on a 2002) is a Torx T45 not an Allen Wrench or Hex Key. Also there is a dust cover that needs to be popped off to remove the pulley (pop it off with a knife to get to the Torx bolt).

Once again, it did not work. I do not suggest trying it. But if you decide to I've given you the missing information to make it easier on you.

Talking to my friend's nephew who's a technician at a local Toyota dealer, he told me it's not the bearing but rather coming from the belt tensioner and the smal shock absorber is the problem.

Topic List