Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By rivas240sx, November 11, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

I've had the same problem as many of you, seems to be very common that the belt tensioner goes out sooner than it should causing a loud noise in the engine compartment. After reading all the forums on replacing the belt tensioner and realizing that I didnt have $200 dollars to pay to fix it I took a closer look at the belt tensioner and here is what i found:

The belt tensioner does not wear its the "pulley's" bearings that go out this pulley brand new at AutoZone turns out to be a $12.99 dollar part. The pulley is held by a medium size hex screw and you dont even have to remove anything to get to it. I didnt even have to touch the tensioner assembly. I took the belt off of course and took a hex wrench to the pulley bolt and came right off......went to AutoZone and order it with tax $14.06 dollars..... came in the next day put it on as easy as it came off and poped the belt back on and DONE!! default_cool

No more noise, car is much quieter and it took total of maybe 20 mins to take off and 20 mins to put back on extreamly easy.

If your wondering the AutoZone part number is #634093 IDLER/TENSIONER PULLEY

The manufacture partnumber by DELCO is #231033

I hope this remedy will save you guys money.

I have pictures if you guys want me to post them...I just need to figure out how to put them up here.

One other problem I need to solve that I've seen one other person in here has the same problem is the shimmy shakys at high speeds. I've replaced the tires, rims and done multiple alignments its still there. If anyone has figure this one out let me know. default_wink

Concerning your shimmy i tried everything. Alignments ,balancing new tires ,rims etc. I tried 1 thing about a month ago, I took wheels off then put them back on[front ones] then retightened them. Took car for drive vibration gone. The only thing i can think that i changed when i did this was probably the torque on the wheel nuts. Maybe they were too tight and effected the hub assembly and the brake rotor. I'm puzzled by this as well. By the way what is the proper torque for the regular steel wheels?

Andrew

Mr. 'R', what was the model of your Toyota? Have a 1999 Corolla LE... Thanks for the information, should save a lot of us a pocket full of money doing this ourselves... Jr.

I always thought it was the spring loaded part at the back of the tensioner that caused all the noise (looks like a shock absorber), I have a 2000 and if you put a screwdriver against it while its idling you can hear the rattling noise, in Canada you have to replace the whole assembly, and it is only available at the dealer.

Mine is do to be replaced next year, when I turn on the AC it can make the rattling noise, it used to really freak me out.

I always thought it was the spring loaded part at the back of the tensioner that caused all the noise (looks like a shock absorber), I have a 2000 and if you put a screwdriver against it while its idling you can hear the rattling noise, in Canada you have to replace the whole assembly, and it is only available at the dealer.

Mine is do to be replaced next year, when I turn on the AC it can make the rattling noise, it used to really freak me out.

No!

Its not the tensioner shock. My model by the way is a 1998 Corolla/Prizm. Just change the pulley $15.00 dollar part at AutoZone. Look at my first post. Shock does not wear out!! There is no streess on the shock ever (only when you change the belt) its the pulley that wears out. Dont be suckers and pay for the whole assembly you dont need it, and it takes longer to replace. This should be something that its as easy as removing one bolt and sliding new pulley in 20 mins tops.

friendly_jacek

Good post rivas!

Remind me, does your 1998 have timing chain or timing belt?

Max

98 and up Corollas have a timing chain.

98 and up Corollas have a timing chain.

Yes, Max is right!

1998 engines and up have a timing chain. These are much more reliable and I believe dont require replacement if the car is used like its suppose to. This means the normal driving. If you rag on the engine or drive at high RPMs this will most likely strech your timing chain. I use to own a 1989 nissan 240sx and it had a timing chain and I had to replace it after 200K+ miles. But when I compared the old chain to the new chain there was no difference, the only thing that wore out was the plastic (dont know why they made it out of plastic) chain guide that keeps the chain in place this had been chewed away. There was also a chain tensioner which works with hidraulics from the oil pumping through the engine its self so that didnt need changing either.

Im not sure if these engines are built the same but, in my opinion with moderate use this chain should never have to be replaced. If there is in fact a chain guide then the chain guide may need chaning but that is only if they made it out of plastic, which I doubt since that was 1981 technology.

Bottom line is the chain will never break, they are extremly stout! they almost look like a motorcross motorcycle chain. As you know just like motorcross motorcycles these dont wear out, they just strech!! since in motocross they go through such stress at high RPM's. The worse that could happen if there is a plastic (hopefully they made it our of stailess steel) is that you would notice a low tone constant slapping sound in the side of the engine as I did on my 200k+ nissan 240sx. If the chain guide happens to break or wear through your chain will be running more loosely and might skip a tooth on the timming of the cam wich would result of rough idling or loss of power. However even with out the guides I noticed that it would take some rough driving to even get it to jump a tooth.

In my opinion there should be no worries in chaning the timing chain.... as long as you drive like a person default_biggrin

What exactly is the noise that a faulty belt tensioner makes? My car has a high frequency sound from the engine compartment, but when I took it in to the dealer, he said the car was manufactured after the cutoff date for the TSB and should have the correct tensioner already installed (and "we can't hear the noise--you have to leave it overnight"). It's a 2001, and my wife won't drive it because of the noise. Almost reminds me of the metallic tinkling that VW beetles (the original) make under hard acceleration.

Thanks for the excellent advice about cheaper fixes for this problem.

That to me sounds like the tensioner, mine (a 2000) makes the same sound, especially when the airconditioning is on. The TSB for the tensioner went up to the 2002 model year.

I've had the same problem as many of you, seems to be very common that the belt tensioner goes out sooner than it should causing a loud noise in the engine compartment. After reading all the forums on replacing the belt tensioner and realizing that I didnt have $200 dollars to pay to fix it I took a closer look at the belt tensioner and here is what i found:

The belt tensioner does not wear its the "pulley's" bearings that go out this pulley brand new at AutoZone turns out to be a $12.99 dollar part. The pulley is held by a medium size hex screw and you dont even have to remove anything to get to it. I didnt even have to touch the tensioner assembly. I took the belt off of course and took a hex wrench to the pulley bolt and came right off......went to AutoZone and order it with tax $14.06 dollars..... came in the next day put it on as easy as it came off and poped the belt back on and DONE!! default_cool

No more noise, car is much quieter and it took total of maybe 20 mins to take off and 20 mins to put back on extreamly easy.

I have pictures if you guys want me to post them...I just need to figure out how to put them up here.

One other problem I need to solve that I've seen one other person in here has the same problem is the shimmy shakys at high speeds. I've replaced the tires, rims and done multiple alignments its still there. If anyone has figure this one out let me know. default_wink

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Read your latest post about that tensioner noise. Few questions. I have a 2001 corolla. When i start it up there is this grinding/ rumbleing like noise on accelaration coming near the belt area. When car is warmed up it seems to fade away. What year is your car and does this sound like the noise you heard before you changed bearings? Any others out there with similar problem? THX

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Read your latest post about that tensioner noise. Few questions. I have a 2001 corolla. When i start it up there is this grinding/ rumbleing like noise on accelaration coming near the belt area. When car is warmed up it seems to fade away. What year is your car and does this sound like the noise you heard before you changed bearings? Any others out there with similar problem? THX

There are only 2 things that can make that noise. The timing chain wich is very unlikely unless you drag race the car. Or the tensioner pulley. I can almost gurantee its the tensioner pulley. My car as I mention on the post is a 1998 corolla/prizm has the same layout as yours. This item goes out prematurely and its very common in these cars. Yes my car sounded as you describe it and yes it went away completely when I changed out the pulley. It actually runs more quiet than when I bought it. So quiet its hard to tell if its running.

I can almost gurantee you thats your problem.

Good Luck,

I live in Canada, and it seems you have to buy the whole assembly just to replace the pulley! Does anyone know if AutoZone in the States would be able to ship to Canada (Toronto), the only place to get the assembly is from the dealer.

I don't know of any Canadian part sources that might just carry the pulley.

I live in Canada, and it seems you have to buy the whole assembly just to replace the pulley! Does anyone know if AutoZone in the States would be able to ship to Canada (Toronto), the only place to get the assembly is from the dealer.

I hate how dealers find ways to sticking-it to you by having to buy the whole assembly . This is the reason why so many people in this forum had to spend 200+ dollars they didnt have to .

I dont know if AutoZone will ship the pulley, the only other choice beside buying the whole assembly is to take the pulley out if you can afford to not have the car running and take it to whatever auto part store you use and see if they can find a matching one (generic) just make sure it has the same inside diameter and outside diameter. I should of measured mine before I threw away the old one.

Good Luck!

I hate how dealers find ways to sticking-it to you by having to buy the whole assembly . This is the reason why so many people in this forum had to spend 200+ dollars they didnt have to .

I dont know if AutoZone will ship the pulley, the only other choice beside buying the whole assembly is to take the pulley out if you can afford to not have the car running and take it to whatever auto part store you use and see if they can find a matching one (generic) just make sure it has the same inside diameter and outside diameter. I should of measured mine before I threw away the old one.

Good Luck!

If that part is manufactured by Delco would that mean you could probably order it from a General Motors

dealer as well as Autozone? This could possibly be a place to get the part in Canada. My car has now developed what I think is the same noise or racket in the engine compartment. It seems to go away after the car warms up.

Andrew

Guest fturner

Look for a Carquest outlet and they should be able to get that pulley for you as they sell the dayco products. I had to replace all three in my tbird as the original PLASTIC 1's had worn out and where causing a BIG racket.

Take the above part number as well....

Good luck

Frit

Can you post the pictures i guess it really wud be helpful......................

Could you please send me the pics that you took during installation. E-mail is under my profile

It will be my second belt tensioner, I had one replaced about 5 years ago.

I looked at my car and seems that pulley is held by the bolt, not the hex screw.

Would be nice to save $$ by replacing the pulley instead the whole assambley

I did not take any pictues of the installation, it was too simple. I only took pictures of the part New/old not very helpful, only pulley part and box.

Its very simple. remove belt, remove pulley and replace pulley & belt.

Just like that, you dont even have to remove anything to get to the pulley bolt.

Hope this helps

Bikeman982

Good Luck!

If that part is manufactured by Delco would that mean you could probably order it from a General Motors

dealer as well as Autozone? This could possibly be a place to get the part in Canada. My car has now developed what I think is the same noise or racket in the engine compartment. It seems to go away after the car warms up.

Andrew

You could probably find it online and order it. Check the size and also the Delco website.

Great tip OP, sure can save some cash.

Bikeman982

I did not take any pictues of the installation, it was too simple. I only took pictures of the part New/old not very helpful, only pulley part and box.

Just like that, you dont even have to remove anything to get to the pulley bolt.

Hope this helps

Does the pulley have any bearings or does it just slide on and off a shaft, or held in by a bolt?

Hope this helps

Does the pulley have any bearings or does it just slide on and off a shaft, or held in by a bolt?

The pulley comes out as a whole. Bearings and everything its a ver clean removal and replacement. Replacement just slips on to a dry aluminum shaft bearing on pulley slides in and bolt holds on to sides of bearing making it a easy spin. Good luck!!

Good Luck!

Andrew

My 2002 does has this noise we all speak of. Does anyone have the TSB number? Write up.

Also, here is the whole tensioner assembly

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail....819&PTSet=A

Also, what size and type wrench takes this nut off

My 2001 Corolla is doing the same thing...I've bought the new pulley but I can't get the factory pulley off. The factory pulley is held on by a bolt and I can't figure out what tool I need to get the bolt loose...it's not a normal bolt that a wrench can take off.

Does anyone know what tool it takes?

Thanks!

Topic List