Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Cherry128, October 9, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Guest FL CE Guy

I too drove an 06 Civic sedan yesterday, I agree that they are way ahead in the tech department. the sedan auto 5 spd was rated 30 city and 40 hwy. I was going to buy the Toyota S yesterday but didnt so far, the Civic has me thinking now. The Honda has standard side air bags, anti lock brakes, and lot's more!My 2 cents

I have been searching for a new 5-speed Manual Corolla CE for awhile and finally came across Walker-Jones up in Waycross, GA which has both Honda and Toyota dealerships next to one another. It was late and raining so I skipped the Toyota sales staff and tried a new 06 Civic instead.

I agree with most other posters here that the new Civic is definitely a next generation car with larger wheels (16") pushed further forward, a nearly heads-up speedo display and other refinements missing in older models. If smooth, quite transportation is your priority and price isn't an issue, the new Civic is a better choice than many others.

But, if you want value for your dollar, it is no match. The 06 Corolla CE lists for 14,005 (2,500 less than the cheapest Civic with Air) but lacks only power windows, pwr door locks, and cruise, just $675 in options. Automatic transmissions cost more but even adding that still leaves you a grand below the LX Civic. Worse, since October dealers have been adding bogus doc fees and extra handling so typical pricing is more than $600 over suggested retail. Bottom line difference between a cheap Corolla and Civic came out to almost $3,000 instead of $2,000. I was shocked at such a difference on comparable small cars. Walker-Jones beat all the Jacksonville dealers by a lot and agreed to undercut even my Brunswick quote as well, by fifty bucks.

I think Toyota should delay their 10th Edition Corolla beyond 2008 and compete on price rather than trying to compete with Honda on quality and features. The new Honda is nice but WAY OVERPRICED, even considering its somewhat higher resale value. [even 04 Corollas are going for $12-14k these days]

I ordered a new Corolla CE and got it for about invoice price along with a fair price for my '94 LHS trade-in.

Honda owners seem to me to be like Apple Computer fans, proud and certain theirs is better. They enjoy being different and are willing to pay plenty extra for the privilege. Me, I just want cheap, reliable transportation that isn't so 'French' [odd, difficult...]. In a few years, that may be a Chinese Chery or a future Hundai but for now it's still clearly a Corolla.

FL CE Guy default_cool

Max

Hiya, FL, and welcome to the board. I agree with you, and have no intention of parting with my CE anytime soon.

My 2004 Corolla has a timing chain. I think the Civic has a belt with a 60k change advisory . Since I'm a "no frills" high milage driver, I still like Corolla better.

Honda makes a great car, but a well maintained Corolla with a timing chain and an auto tanny is a tank. They go forever. A civic is done at 180k.

Just my 2 cents

Civic, except for rust, last 200 -300k.

Atleast that has been with my experience,,, they run forever, but

the body rusts out.

I chose the Corolla over the Civic because I don't like the feeling my butt is going to scrape the pavement.... I guess the kids like that though.

I haven't driven an '06 Civic yet, but took a very close look at one on my way home from work a couple of days ago. My first impression: Very nice looking car, but when will they ever get the frame rails off the pavement? I really can't see anything but total inconvenience driving a car with such non-existant ground clearance. The thing I like about my Corolla is I can go just about anywhere with it that an automobile can go. I don't know if that Civic would even clear some of the speed bumps I encounter around here! Plus, the driver's seat (all seats, actually) seemed only 3 -4 inches off the floor. I can't stand that "flying carpet" seating position. Also not seeing much head clearance; maybe this is why all the kids driving Civics always have their seats tilted back at a 45-deg. angle. I call that the "Civic slouch."

With it's higher maintenence and higher initial price, I'm still unimpressed with the Civic. I just hope Toyota doesn't take any clues from it at all when designing the 10th generation Corolla. Listen up, Toyota: Stick with what works, if you know what's good for you! AND GIVE US A FRUGGEN DIESEL, DAMNIT!

I really don't see Honda as that much of a upgrade. I sorta want one of the new 2.5l Impreza RS cars. I have a AWD car now with winter tires on it and it's freaken awsome in this snow storm. The Corolla has Blizacks, but I acually havn't driven it yet (wifes car) in the snow, so I don't know how it does.

Some will argue that the AWD only comes in handy a few times a year, but it's handy in the rain, and with the right tires, it can save your butt in the snow and ice.

Larry, the idea behind the low ground clearance and the low seats is that lowering the gravity center makes the car feel way better in corners. Having driven one of those "seated on the ground" cars a few times, I can tell you it makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, it also means you feel the bumps more and get more dirt/rocks from the cars ahead of you.

Larry, the idea behind the low ground clearance and the low seats is that lowering the gravity center makes the car feel way better in corners. Having driven one of those "seated on the ground" cars a few times, I can tell you it makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, it also means you feel the bumps more and get more dirt/rocks from the cars ahead of you.

The lower ground clearance also beneftis freeway crusing because it doesn't get tossed in a cross wind nearly as bad. As for feeling bumps, that's mostly a matter of suspension tuning. I will note that although you can feel the bumps more, when your cornering and hit a bumps, the Civic does not get unsettled. The corolla has a tendency to chatter and skip over bumps in a turn. The Corolla has a much simplier (read less expensive) strut set-up. The Corolla however is great on larger bumps.

Guest FL CE Guy

Hiya, FL, and welcome to the board. I agree with you, and have no intention of parting with my CE anytime soon.
Now that OHV engines are pretty standard, manufacturers should insure they have timing chains or indestructible belts. The timing belt on my 3.5L Chrysler LHS broke AT IDLE and did over $1,000 damage ( 63,000 miles). If I had been driving there would have been push rods coming through the hood.

I can hardly wait for my new CE to get here.

FL CE Guy

Topic List