Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Why corolla?

by c2105026, March 20, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

I was driving a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi...loved the power but hated the mileage. I could pass everything but a gas station and I was getting tired of the pump cutting me off at $50 and not even getting a full tank.

I started looking for an economical car and always loved the Toyotas I had owned in the past. I never considered a Corolla until I saw one at a dealership and got a deal I couldn't pass up.

I love the MPG, the reliability, the room...for the size car it's amazing...and yes, the power. I realize it's only a 4 banger and I'm not looking to race around town, but the fact that I can keep up with anything out there on the Interstate puts a smile on my face.

For those who give me crap for not driving an American car I have to say my Corolla is more American than most American cars. Toyota has been building cars in the US for a LONG...LONG time. The past few American cars I've owned were built in either Mexico or Canada...thank you NAFTA. I don't have a problem with that, but I take offense to people telling me I'm un-American for driving a Toyota when they drive a Mexican made Chevy. They almost always come back with the argument of where is all that money going...back to Japan according to them. I like to point out that the money they speak of is going to some very wealthy people who don't need more of it, whereas money spent on a foreign car made in America is putting money in the pocket of the guy/gal who built it right here in America. I'd rather make them wealthy rather than some rich executive in Detroit who wants to buy a bigger yacht.

I'll relinquish the soap-box now.

• 1,424 posts
I was driving a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi...loved the power but hated the mileage. I could pass everything but a gas station and I was getting tired of the pump cutting me off at $50 and not even getting a full tank.

I started looking for an economical car and always loved the Toyotas I had owned in the past. I never considered a Corolla until I saw one at a dealership and got a deal I couldn't pass up.

I love the MPG, the reliability, the room...for the size car it's amazing...and yes, the power. I realize it's only a 4 banger and I'm not looking to race around town, but the fact that I can keep up with anything out there on the Interstate puts a smile on my face.

For those who give me crap for not driving an American car I have to say my Corolla is more American than most American cars. Toyota has been building cars in the US for a LONG...LONG time. The past few American cars I've owned were built in either Mexico or Canada...thank you NAFTA. I don't have a problem with that, but I take offense to people telling me I'm un-American for driving a Toyota when they drive a Mexican made Chevy. They almost always come back with the argument of where is all that money going...back to Japan according to them. I like to point out that the money they speak of is going to some very wealthy people who don't need more of it, whereas money spent on a foreign car made in America is putting money in the pocket of the guy/gal who built it right here in America. I'd rather make them wealthy rather than some rich executive in Detroit who wants to buy a bigger yacht.

And I'll get right on my soapbox.

I once parked my Corolla next to a Focus that had a bumper sticker on it that said, "Don't put my Country's flag on your foreign car". I just shook my head and went into the store. When I came out, the guy was getting in his car at roughly the same time I was walking up to mine. He said something to me about not buying American, and I laughed. He was all, "what's so funny about you not supporting your own country." I wipped out my sticker that says 85% US content, Assembled in Freemont Cali. He looked startled, and then I asked him to see the same sticker for his car. He replied, "I don't have one." I then told him, that I could tell him what it said. Focus, Assembled in Mexico, US parts content 10%. I then got into my car and drove off while thinking to myself, how ignorant.

People who champion buying American need to face facts. You are more likely to get an American made car with a high percentage of American made components if you buy a Toyota than if you buy a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler in this day and age. This is especially true if you buy a smaller car like a Corolla or a midsize car like a Camry.

(Steps down from soapbox.)

Bikeman982

And I'll get right on my soapbox.

I once parked my Corolla next to a Focus that had a bumper sticker on it that said, "Don't put my Country's flag on your foreign car". I just shook my head and went into the store. When I came out, the guy was getting in his car at roughly the same time I was walking up to mine. He said something to me about not buying American, and I laughed. He was all, "what's so funny about you not supporting your own country." I wipped out my sticker that says 85% US content, Assembled in Freemont Cali. He looked startled, and then I asked him to see the same sticker for his car. He replied, "I don't have one." I then told him, that I could tell him what it said. Focus, Assembled in Mexico, US parts content 10%. I then got into my car and drove off while thinking to myself, how ignorant.

People who champion buying American need to face facts. You are more likely to get an American made car with a high percentage of American made components if you buy a Toyota than if you buy a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler in this day and age. This is especially true if you buy a smaller car like a Corolla or a midsize car like a Camry.

(Steps down from soapbox.)

Nice going - shattered that persons perception of American made vs foreign made. Maybe they will wake up and look at the fine print?

It is interesting that many makes are going to developing countries for parts and/or Assemblies. I dunno what happens in nth america, but here the corolla hatches and wagons are built in sth africa, as are c-class mercs and 3-series bmws. In addition, the Holden Barina (small hatch, a very good drive apparently) is being replaced by the yucky-poo daewoo kalos.

On top of all this, the flagship aussie car, the holden commodore, is being de-australianised. The model due out in september is only 53% australian, many parts are from china, india, thailand etc.

Welcome Kathryn. Hope you get used to the clutch soon and achieve complete happiness with your car. default_smile

Thanks, Max! It's great to find a bunch of nice people to talk about my nifty new wheels with.

Kathryn

Bikeman982

Welcome Kathryn. Hope you get used to the clutch soon and achieve complete happiness with your car. default_smile

Thanks, Max! It's great to find a bunch of nice people to talk about my nifty new wheels with.

Kathryn

You can always talk Corolla talk here. We can relate!

For me it was primarily the brand reputation. I had read many years ago that as good as Honda and Nissan were, they still had a long way to go concerning quality in the factory to reach Toyotas standards. Having owned this Corolla now for a few years and my daughter's experience with her Camry I have to think there is some merit to that statement.

I think there are better looking cars on the road. Honda, Nissan and VW are more appealing to my eye but that is subjective.....to each his own. Regardless, the whole fleet will someday be Toyota.

Having worked on all my cars for the past 40 years, I've grown to see the difference in well thought out design. With Toyotas there is a an intuitive way that they are designed. As you work on them and get used to them you find yourself stopping and thinking...."That was a good idea."

I highly recommend them to anyone who asks my opinion. Best quality, highest resale, although now that there are so many on the road there appear to be some good deals out there.

Another criteri for me is the engine design being primarily non-interference vs most other's interfernce design.

Happy motoring.

Jay in MA

what made you pick a corolla over other models? when you replace your current vehicle (whenever it may be) will you get another corolla, or go for another model?

Bikeman982

I would recommend Corolla to anyone looking for a car. They do have their problems, but overall dependability and reliability wins.

It's all about reliability and efficiency. No company does it better than Toyota. I am also really impressed with Toyota's great, easy to work on designs. I know lots of cars (Honda, etc.) that are a pain in the butt to change the oil filter, air filter, cabin air filter, etc. But Toyota is extremely easy to do - that is another indication of the superior design of Toyotas.

I have also read that Toyota is THE BEST in reliability - period. Many Honda folks will argue that, but that is mainly because the Honda people tend to be more into cars, and they like the more sporty look and feel of a Honda. So, Honda people speak out more than Toyota people. I am not saying Honda is junk, they are extremely good, just not quite up to Toyota.

And I also love to point out to people that it is more American than their "American" car!!!

Guest replica_depot

Guest replica_depot

reliable and cheap on gas...well it was a gas saver 'til they released the xrs model but it's a fun car.

plus my very first car was a corolla (still have it) default_smile

Bikeman982

It is hard to find the newer Corollas in the junkyards. They must still be on the road!

All of what has been posted; reliabilty, ease of maintanance, dependability. Oh, and my '96 Geo Prizim was about to fall apart, so needed a new car! Really, I wanted to close the deal on that Saturday afternoon because I didn't know if it'd make it to Monday morning.

Went with a Certified Used from dealership when they had the good financing deal for certifieds. Car already had 20k on it, but seemd to be running fine, and it's been going great for the last 15k.

Topic List