Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

how fast have you been?

by c2105026, December 26, 2003

See every reply in these pages:

come on, let's be honest, what's the fastest you've been in your corolla?

Guest Wendell Wildcat Fan

About 95 mph, but I have'nt tried to break 100, yet. I am sure that 98 Corolla's will go at least 115-120 mph, but I can't afford another speeding ticket. Usually, i just go about 5-10 mph over the speed limit and cruise worry free. default_cool

• 200 posts

Crazy boy racers! default_laugh

All PC kidding aside, I have been up to 100 once in my 2000 LE automatic. That was when I still lived in CA and had a nice long highway on which to do it.

Guest drummerart1983

I've went about 98 mph on my 1997 Corolla (base) on an interstate highway. It handled surprisingly well and was pretty smooth.

Art

110mph with my 94 prizm. I can say i felt way safer than my previous POS '94 Mazda 626.

Guest highdensityx

I Have taken my 96 corolla to its max. It hit 115 going down a bridge. The cop who stopped me wasnt very happy.

I've pushed our 2001 Corolla to 160km/hr... dunno what's that in mph but that was crazy. Car felt really light and steering became very jittery (meaning I had to do a lot of minor adjustments to get the car going perfectly straight... yes, my tires are aligned fine).

Apparently my dad's pushed it to 170km/hr but he won't admit it (of course not).

Cheers!

Frost

I've pushed our 2001 Corolla to 160km/hr... dunno what's that in mph but that was crazy. Car felt really light and steering became very jittery (meaning I had to do a lot of minor adjustments to get the car going perfectly straight... yes, my tires are aligned fine).

Apparently my dad's pushed it to 170km/hr but he won't admit it (of course not).

Cheers!

Frost

160kph is 100mph, 1.6km=1mile

I think the 1.6 liter like i have can easily reach 120mph, i can do 110 without much problem, but i quickly slow back down cuz i dont trust the car at that speeds. The car was not meant to drive at that speed. Although in Europe cars easily travel at these speed when doing cross-country trips. I have been on them there. But the suspensions of all cars there seem stiffer than the ones here.

Access-Denied (+1)

About 110 mph in my 96 prizm. I didn't feel safe one bit in it.

Max

I guess I'm the slow poke here. default_laugh I've hit a max of 85 mph in my 2003 CE 5sp.

Yeah that was the main reason I don't sustain anything over 150kmh. If there's any crosswind, I'm screwed so I usually bounce around 120-140kmh in good weather and in bad, lets just say that's when I hate the suspension and the whole 'light' feel. The North American Corolla just wasn't built for such high speeds and yes, the European version does have better suspension since my aunt in the UK has one and I've been in it quite a lot.

Cheers!

Frost

Guest Hankster

I dont think I would want to go faster than 140,000 KM per hour. You need speed rated tires. If a tire fails at that speed your toast for sure. default_ph34r

Hank default_blink

Had a short "confrontation" with a new Matrix the other day. Got an easy 145kph in 4th and 185 kph in 5th before he gave up.

My simple mods seem to be paying off.

You can bury the speedo on the '03 Corolla CE. Used 4th to get to around 100mph then grabbed 5th. It was drag limited around 120mph. Very smooth and stable at the speed, but it took a good 2 miles to get there.

Still very slow considereing I've run 120mph in the 1/4 mile on my 600c motorcycle my first time out at the strip.

my '00 don't have ABS. when i was doing 100mph/162kmh i didn't really feel safe. i'd feel much confident of going higher speeds if i had ABS.

ABS was primarily designed for drivers that panic and don't know how to use their brakes properly.

I'd rather have the extra cost of ABS put into larger brake rotors, better suspension and better tires... which will do more to shorten stopping distances that ABS for skilled driver.

Yeah that was the main reason I don't sustain anything over 150kmh. If there's any crosswind, I'm screwed so I usually bounce around 120-140kmh in good weather and in bad, lets just say that's when I hate the suspension and the whole 'light' feel. The North American Corolla just wasn't built for such high speeds and yes, the European version does have better suspension since my aunt in the UK has one and I've been in it quite a lot.

Cheers!

Frost

Agree 100 %.

I can go 90-95mph easy if I have at least 3 people in the car. Otherwise scary.

the reason why i'd want ABS if i wanted to regularly sustain high speeds is because if you are cruising along at 160kmh the only thing that will cause trouble is if a) you run into a hazard or b)you get the car unstable. well, if any hazards (pedestrians, animals etc.) are present you shouldn't be doing 100mph. suppose a hazard did come out of the blue (eg. a kangaroo - we aussies hit plenty of 'em!), and i had to brake, and i did panic, ABS wouldn't allow the car to skid, thus it is much safer. suppose you miss the hazard, but now your brakes have locked up and now are starting to slew sideways. if you had ABS this would have never occurred. with ABS in the slide you could brake without fear of further locking up and exaggerated skidding. i know it won't get you out of an oversteer slide, but ABS on tarmac is usually helpful unless you are part of the few who can be better than an abs system. the ultimate is stability control, too. pity it isn't available on australian corollas.

Still very slow considereing I've run 120mph in the 1/4 mile on my 600c motorcycle my first time out at the strip.

Very respectable considering your motorcycle probably has the same horsepower as the Corolla at less than 1/4 of the weight.

Very respectable considering your motorcycle probably has the same horsepower as the Corolla at less than 1/4 of the weight.

Actually the bike is only a 600cc and makes 97HP and 42 ft-lbs.... but with me on it, it weighs roughly 600lbs.... compared to my car weighing 2700.

It's called "Power to weight ratio". Considerable difference in the two.

Yup... also the drag to HP ratio is very good too. with 97HP the bike will run nearly 160mph.

As for the ABS... I'd only went 120 once in my car, and it was on a wide open stretch of 3 lane freeway without any car ahead of me for over 1 mile. Anything I would need to brake for, I would have a significant amount of time to react to. Avoidance is the key to survival not braking power anyway. Once you apply the brakes, you've limited your ability to steer around the problem. In 10 years of driving, I've only locked up my brakes in my car on dry or wet pavement un-intentainally 2 or 3 times. I always steer around accidents, look far enough down the road to slwo gradually, or keep myself "visible" enough to prevent others from pulling out in front of me (the most common accident other than drunk driving)

Avoidance is the key to survival not braking power anyway. Once you apply the brakes, you've limited your ability to steer around the problem. In 10 years of driving, I've only locked up my brakes in my car on dry or wet pavement un-intentainally 2 or 3 times. I always steer around accidents, look far enough down the road to slwo gradually, or keep myself "visible" enough to prevent others from pulling out in front of me (the most common accident other than drunk driving)

yes, i agree. in many urban situations eg. if a child runs out onto the road, many times you cannot brake in time, thus one should swerve. that is why when there are any hazards present, i usually stick to the speed limit to legally cover my ###### (i go slower if conditions dictate) for swerving at lower speeds is much safer. however, if i am on a rural highway or freeway and there are no cops around, i go faster. true, visibility on your road can help, not only can you see other drivers but they can see you. that is also why i usually drive out on rural roads with my lights on.

when you took your bike down the 1/4 mile, what time did you get?

The fastest I have gone was 105mph on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles. It was around noon and there were plenty of cars on the road. I wasn't going that fast on purpose, I was trying to pass this Crown Vic and I thought i was going 60mph. I wasn't looking at my Speedometer and I just changed the brakes and the oil with synthetic an hour before. So stopping was hell-of-alot of fun, let me tell you. default_wacko

Guest Daniel

I speeded up my -93 1.6 to 200km/h once.

Picture of my old ride will be comming on later.

Just want to becarful here what I say, dont want to be caught saying that i double posted. Anyways, I have been lucky to drive 2 Generations or technically saying 3 Generations of Corolla's. My first one is what I will be talking about here, is my 1998 Toyota Corolla VE-SS. I know there is no production model of the VE-SS. But I know its out there still in the streets.

The fastest I have gone is about 137 mph or 220 Km/h when I dusted a 5.0.

How you may ask. Well this corolla VE-SS of mine was damaged in a accident (which is in another post), and since I was able to repair the vehical with insurance, I decided to modify it. Below is the specs I have for the beast. If anyone sees the spec and knows a car that has the simular specs please contact the local authorities, cause IT MIGHT BE stolen!

The Specs:

1. High compression - built by TTE, 2000 cc, torque 520NM @ 4000RPM, boost

3.5 psi.

2. 300 Bhp, Independent Controlled Front and Center Differentials.Olins

suspension, Pirelli Low Profile Racing Tires

4. 15” Low Profile Titanium Rims

5. 50 Litre NOS Cylinder Of Nitro,

6. Dualtronic Transmission, rear wheel drive.

7. Dual Fujitsubo Vortex Mufflers

9. Top speed of 280 Km/h

10. Lowered 5"

Sound System:

Aiwa MP3, DVD, CD, Mini Disc 12 Disc Changer, with 8 JBL and 1 Yamaha Sub Woofer, 8" control screen for the Aiwa.

The exterior was kept stock, since the car was stock exterior, the cops didnt pay much attention to it. Even if I was speeding, I would do it with another car that was doing the same. default_smile

Topic List