Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

P1349 Keeps Coming Back

by commuter1, January 28, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

I have a 2001 Corolla with about 120,000 miles (highway).

About a year ago, it started pinging badly up hills, even at highway speeds.

The Toyota dealer suggested I try premium gas. That's when the check engine light started coming on, although the pinging was much less.

Ever since I've been having the check engine light come on.

I switched back to regular gas, have been adding Techron and Seafoam at regular intervals, changed air filter at regular intervals and had the plugs changed at 90,000miles.

The code that keeps coming back is: P1349: manfacturer contrl. ignition system or misfire. I did have a second code about a month ago about the catalytic converter and so I had that changed and that code went away. Now, the CEL comes back on after being reset every 3 or 4 tankfulls of gas. Half of the time I fill up on Chevron regular gas.

Can I fix this myself?

With that many miles - pinging on regular gas on heavy loads (hills, high speed, etc) with that the 1ZZFE high CR - can sometimes be fixed by going with a higher grade gas. As a motor ages - there will be deposits that form that may necessitate a higher octane.

P1349 is a misfire or ignition issue under most general OBD-II - but Toyota spec'd OBD-II has it as a VVT malfunction. Unfortunantly - hard to tell which it is. Since it happened when you switched gas and after a bad cat - might be the ignition timing set too advanced (VVT-i issue) or low fuel pressure (bad or clogged injector, bad or low flowing fuel pump/regulator). An emissions test will tell you which one it is - with taking anything off the car, or a scanner put on aquisition mode and recording several parameters to see what the deal is. Other things could cause these same problems - but given what people reported having problems on these forums and the pinging issue - I'd lean toward the injectors giving you problems.

Seafoam and other additives are very good solvents - but may not be strong enough to clean off these injectors. Injector cleaning services generally don't work that well - best way is to have these cleaned ultrasonically or replaced (very costly).

Some pinging is normal and unavoidable - but sustained heavy pinging at highway speeds will quickly ruin a motor.

Can you fix it yourself - depends on what tools you have available and how much experience you have under the hood. I'd say that 90% of the time - you should be able to DIY. As long as you have decent documentation and correct tools - this is completely doable.

Good Luck.

Someone also said it was a VVT malfunction, but my car is way out of the warranty period.

How much is something like that going to cost me? default_dry

Hard to say - depends on the what is wrong. There was an issue for the oil control solenoid on the VVT system - but I'm unable to find a link for you. If you search the site - there was a poster, bwringer, that worked on the VVT system.

Most dealers will change around $80 for diagnostics and anywhere from $50-$85 per hour for labor. Could be an expensive proposition - I would exhaust other possibilities before I go down that road.

Good Luck.

Do you think buying a subscription to AllData to get a copy of the TSB is worth the money?

Is there a difference buying premium gas versus using the gas additives to boost the octane rating?

Thanks.

ALLDATA is a good resource for DIY. A good deal if you don't have access to a Toyota service manual or can't find one - worth the money?? only if you use it. Not sure what the TSB will give you - since I haven't seen Toyota take any action on this problem (VVTL-i systime issue is a different story).

Buying premium gas to help with the pinging is much cheaper than buying additives that boost ratings. There are additives that supposed to add more detergency as well as boost the octane - but most are very similar to what is in gas already. Better to stick with "Top Tier" gas outlets - higher levels of additives than what the EPA demands. Also read over the gas quality post here on this forum - good info it that.

Guest 1010

I have a 2000 Corolla with 112K miles on it. I recently, (about 3 months ago) noticed a significant change in its behavior. Before, not that it was the best for the vehicle, I could run it at 80, 90, even 115 mph and it would run Great!! Now, when I take it anything above 50 it feels like its going to give out any moment. I noticed that this problem started occuring as soon as the belts started giving me trouble. (One day they began to squeek and I was never able to fix that problem.) Its not that the belt is bad, its actually in pretty good condition

Im not sure about the markings shown at the blue circles, but as you can see by the red circles, the belt condition really isnt bad.

I was told by several mechanics that the pulley has probably gone bad, which confuses me becasue it was litterally overnight that the problem started occuring. One main problem that I have is that the engine will ping when in idle. It also pings if I am slowly accelerating. It has shut off on me when accelerating (many times), but after I changed the fuel pump filter, the problem with the pinging hasnt gone away, but the stalling hasnt recurred. I also noticed that (While doing a Uturn) the car has lost a LOT of power while making hard turns. Also, going on the upramp to the expressway, the engine is VERY weak.

One more thing, that may or may not be significant, is when I am driving doing anything above 40mph, if I turn the AC on, the car litterally bumps from loss of power, and when I turn the AC back off, it bumps again, only with Significant power increase.

Also, the Check Engine light has been comming on for about 2 months now with the P1349 code.

The car changes gears wonderfully and everything else is pretty much OK.

Does anyone have any helpful info about this??

Definitely sounds like a VVTi malfunction. If you get a P1349 that comes back, even after it is reset the first time around - and you notice significant power loss. Sounds like the oil control valve is faulty or the actual VVTi actuating assembly is faulty. Really no easy way to look at it until you open the engine up. There is a TSB that (TSB EG009-03) addresses this issue on certain models of Corolla, Celica, MR2 and Echo models built before a certain production change. This will be covered in the manufacturer 5/60 powertrain warranty, if you outside of the warranty, the tab falls onto you.

This is not an inexpensive fix - though if you have a decent handle on a wrench and a good service manual infront of you - you could be able to fix this yourself. Think of a P1349 problem as an engine that is not able to advance engine timing as needed or one that has the inital engine timing set too far advanced or too far retarded - all will result in poor performance. Some cases, the problem will be very minor - you just get some light off idle pinging. Some cases, the problems are so severe - the engine cannot maintain idle or will only run at idle speeds.

You can try sending a used motor oil sample to a lab and see if the oil comes back OK. If there are signs of coolant in the oil, high concentrations of wear metals, or the oil has completely broken down - you may be better off looking at an engine swap or dumping the car all to together. Not a real common issue - one of those things that some have the unfortunant luck to have and is also one of those things that is an expensive fix.

Could try some synthetic motor oils changed at a relatively short change interval (3K-5K drain interval) - the higher solvency of the synthetic will slowly dissolve deposits that might have clogged the oil control valve and maybe be able to reverse the situation with the VVTi system. I'd hold engine flushes and the like for last - as these tend to have a terminal result in engines that have serious problems. Good Luck.

I also have a P1349 error on my Corolla.

I have had an engine flush and a oil and filter change, but it still comes back. The dealership has now recomended replacing the controller at a price of approx. £300. I'm not sure if there really is a problem with the car as the performance seems fine to me and so I am a bit reluctant to spend this sum of money just to remove a light fault which is coming on in my car.

Any ideas?

Regards Stephen

Did the dealership replace the oil control valve filter? Unless the engine was significantly sludged over or had known oil issues (infrequent oil changes or poor maintenance) - then there is a good chance an engine flush has loosened deposits and completely clogged up the VVT actuator and associated components. Best to do short interval oil changes with a motor oil with good solvency (stronger detergents and dispersants) characterists

There is a technical service bulletin or TSB on this issue - TSB EG009-03 - that describes a troubleshooting procedure. But I'm not sure if it applies to your market Corolla. The TSB came about in 2003 and addresses this error code in certain production number Corollas, Celicas, MR2s, and Echos.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if the dealership eplaced the Oil Control Valve. I would say not, otherwise they should have told me.

After the first visit they did tell me the oil was dirty have should be replaced as well as a new oil filter. This has now been done, but the fault re-appears. A friend of mine gave me his diagnostic kit and I can confirm that the error code is 1349. However, I haven't noticed any problems with the car and as I say I am not sure if I should replace a controller just to prevent a light coming on.

With regard to the technical bulletin my car came out in 2003 so I am not sure if it applies.

Any more ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Did the dealership replace the oil control valve filter? Unless the engine was significantly sludged over or had known oil issues (infrequent oil changes or poor maintenance) - then there is a good chance an engine flush has loosened deposits and completely clogged up the VVT actuator and associated components. Best to do short interval oil changes with a motor oil with good solvency (stronger detergents and dispersants) characterists

There is a technical service bulletin or TSB on this issue - TSB EG009-03 - that describes a troubleshooting procedure. But I'm not sure if it applies to your market Corolla. The TSB came about in 2003 and addresses this error code in certain production number Corollas, Celicas, MR2s, and Echos.

The oil control valve and the VVT actuator is pretty expensive, I would definitely not replace those until all other options have been explored first - but there is a small oil filter screen that runs to the valve. If that filter is clogged - you could get the P1394 code.

Being a 2003 model and UK or European market? - that TSB probably can't really help you - as those were addressed for the newer generation.

Could be one of those sensor "glitches" that will eventually go away. If you really did a VVTi malfunction - the engine should "ping" badly under load, have trouble keeping an idle, and overall drive poorly. Fuel economy will also drop considerably. If none of those happens - you may have an electrical issue. Very likely that there are some faulty engine/chassis grounds or a damaged wiring to the ECM, causing it to believe a sensor/system is failing.

Hi 'Fishexpo101',

I read all the replies from you on 1349 code. And have some idea on what to do with my corolla which is having similar issue. But before I do anything, I would like to explain you my situation and hope that you can inform me more specifically.

Car Details: 2001 Toyota Corolla CE. Mileage - 142500 Miles.

Recent Services:

Regular Oil Change since last 12 months. (Though Last Two were Delayed.)

Transmission Flush in Feb 2009

Battery Result - Good

Emission Flush, Engine Tune Up and Spark Plug changed in July 2008

For nearly 1.5-2 years I used to use local gas company (DELTA - cheapest gas). Stopped using them when i found out that they mix water in Gas default_sad Now I use regular gas from Shell, BP etc

Jun 2006: Engine Check was On. Mechanic removed it citing code for Catalytic Convertor. Car cleared the Inspection and have been driving fine until Oct 2008. Note: I didn't change the Catalytic Convertor. In between I was using the cheap gas as mentioned above and got the above services done.

Oct 2008: Engine Check Comes up again. Mechanic mentioned again Cat Convertor Code. Kept the change on Hold. with the onset of winter car starts giving trouble during start up in early morning. Battery is in Good Conditioned (got it checked). Sometimes car doesn't start at all even after I turn the key full. Note: all the lights in the dashboard blink perfectly when i insert the key. Problem is in ignition of the car. the only good new is that car drives fine once it starts. Car runs perfectly at all speeds (max tried is 80 mph).

Feb 2009: I took the car for another round of check up for engine check sign. This time mechanic says there are two codes - one for catalytic convertor and second one for p1349 - VVT malfunction.

After seeing the code gave me a quote of $220 to correct the p1349 code. My concern is, after reading your all your posts, i think my mechanic needs to investigate more to find the actual cause. I'm worried he may charge me more later citing more parts need to be replaced.

So now, i seek your advice on should i go ahead and try to do first level of diagnosis by myself? If yes then what steps you will recommend. From where can I get the TSB for 1349? I'm a computer engineer with intuitive nature to solve problem so have basic tool kit with me. but dont have anything extra need as car mechanic.

thanking you in anticipation.

- Abhi.

The oil control valve and the VVT actuator is pretty expensive, I would definitely not replace those until all other options have been explored first - but there is a small oil filter screen that runs to the valve. If that filter is clogged - you could get the P1394 code.

Being a 2003 model and UK or European market? - that TSB probably can't really help you - as those were addressed for the newer generation.

Could be one of those sensor "glitches" that will eventually go away. If you really did a VVTi malfunction - the engine should "ping" badly under load, have trouble keeping an idle, and overall drive poorly. Fuel economy will also drop considerably. If none of those happens - you may have an electrical issue. Very likely that there are some faulty engine/chassis grounds or a damaged wiring to the ECM, causing it to believe a sensor/system is failing.

Do you know what the Catalytic code was? I'm assuming that it was P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. Given the amount of time between those occurances, I would chalk this up to the ECM getting confused/bad tank of gasoline. Only way to know for sure is to backprobe the O2 sensors (both the upstream (pre-cat) and downstream (post-cat) sensors) and verify their output traces on a meter, preferably an oscope. This assumes that the sensors are working correctly, as it is common at this age/mileage to have a sensor start to get "lazy" or not quite fail or slowly fail on you.

You are correct in that these OBD-II codes only indicate logic failure in the ECM - they do not specifically say what part is faulty. The ECM can only ascertain failure (either directly or indirectly) from other sensor inputs. The code just tells the mechanic where to start looking. There are cases where a certain code on a certain model year is indicative of a common failure. The mechanic still has to do some diagnostic work to confirm his suspicions before any part is replaced. Also possible that the two codes might be interlinked - a possible VVT issue caused the initial P0420 code to pop up. Won't know for certain, unless diagnostics are being done. Note that some mechanics charge between $85-$105 per hour for diagnostic work - for this issue, I would make sure the shop has access to TIS (Toyota Information System - usually web subscription based) and is very familiar with this family of engine. Otherwise, I'd take the car to a Toyota dealership.

The P1349 - VVT issue does affect a wide range of Toyotas - most of them result in electrical issues (bad battery, loose chassis grounds, faulty wiring, etc.). Most of that you can diagnose yourself with a mirror and a good multimeter. There should be quite a bit of information online, including some PDF documentation on how to diagnose the P1394 code. Most involve checking for signal and power to the OCV and ECM. There are a few cases that the VVT malfunction is attributed to excessive wear on a plate from a pin in the VVT actuator itself. This cannot be diagnosed without removing the valvecover and disassembling the valvetrain. But there are "tricks" to see if this is the case - but unfortunantely, none are 100% absolute.

thanks for your reply. i think you are corect it ws P0420 code.... i would like to do it myself the initial testing and diagnosis.... few more qsn?

1) i would like to test the o2 sensor. following steps should be ok. what do you think? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_test_...th_a_volt_meter

2) any link on some PDF documentation on how to diagnose the P1394 code. initial search resulted no pdf... will search extensivle on weekend...

<br />Do you know what the Catalytic code was? I'm assuming that it was P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. Given the amount of time between those occurances, I would chalk this up to the ECM getting confused/bad tank of gasoline. Only way to know for sure is to backprobe the O2 sensors (both the upstream (pre-cat) and downstream (post-cat) sensors) and verify their output traces on a meter, preferably an oscope. This assumes that the sensors are working correctly, as it is common at this age/mileage to have a sensor start to get "lazy" or not quite fail or slowly fail on you.<br /><br />You are correct in that these OBD-II codes only indicate logic failure in the ECM - they do not specifically say what part is faulty. The ECM can only ascertain failure (either directly or indirectly) from other sensor inputs. The code just tells the mechanic where to start looking. There are cases where a certain code on a certain model year is indicative of a common failure. The mechanic still has to do some diagnostic work to confirm his suspicions before any part is replaced. Also possible that the two codes might be interlinked - a possible VVT issue caused the initial P0420 code to pop up. Won't know for certain, unless diagnostics are being done. Note that some mechanics charge between $85-$105 per hour for diagnostic work - for this issue, I would make sure the shop has access to TIS (Toyota Information System - usually web subscription based) and is very familiar with this family of engine. Otherwise, I'd take the car to a Toyota dealership.<br /><br />The P1349 - VVT issue does affect a wide range of Toyotas - most of them result in electrical issues (bad battery, loose chassis grounds, faulty wiring, etc.). Most of that you can diagnose yourself with a mirror and a good multimeter. There should be quite a bit of information online, including some PDF documentation on how to diagnose the P1394 code. Most involve checking for signal and power to the OCV and ECM. There are a few cases that the VVT malfunction is attributed to excessive wear on a plate from a pin in the VVT actuator itself. This cannot be diagnosed without removing the valvecover and disassembling the valvetrain. But there are "tricks" to see if this is the case - but unfortunantely, none are 100% absolute.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The instructions in WikiAnswers is fine - basically you are backprobing the O2 sensors. With a voltmeter, can be tough to spot problems, as the voltage signal is sinusoidal, which may be hard to see with some voltmeters (refresh rate). But still doable.

As for the PDF - I just Googled P1349 and got several links to PDFs. This one is for a Toyota MR2, but the diagnostic procedure is identical (same basic engine)

http://dutch.northwestmr2.com/Toyota/mr2%2...0(bank%201).pdf

Thanks for your prompt reply. with your help I'm understanding more about my car. have been driving this car for some time but never knew so much depth about it.

As curiosity? can VVT Malfunction cause problem in starting the car? or is it truely a problem in starters?

also what other part can get damage if VVT malfunction error persists? how soon i should get it repair?

Starting issue is completely separate from the VVT system, unless there was damage to the valvetrain as a result of a catastrophic VVT malfunction. More likely, it is an electrical connection issue with the starter (starter contacts) or even battery issue. Possible that the starter itself has gone bad - won't know for sure until you pull the starter out and have it bench tested. Earlier in your post, you mentioned the specifics of your car. Pretty hard to believe that the car is still on the original battery from the manufacturer. The OEM battery (Delphi in my car) lasted almost exactly 60 months - then completely died.

As far as possible damage from a VVT malfunction and the urgency to repair it? Depends on what part is causing the VVT malfunction to begin with.

If it is an ECM issue - then it is more or less an inconvenience. If there is something wrong with the OCV or maybe the actuator itself, it might require a new OCV or new sprocket head from Toyota. Basically you will need to rebuild one of the camshafts or a failure will cause engine damage (pistons will make contact with valves). In that worse case - you will need an engine rebuild or swap in another engine. Given what these cars are worth and whatever else is wrong with the car, might be easier to cut your losses and buy another car. But all of this is just conjecture until the car is properly diagnosed. Best thing to do - if the car is not running quite right (loss of power, engine stalling, idle is not smooth, engine pinging at speed, unusual noises), then reduce or completely stop driving the car until you are able to diagnose the problem right away. If the car is still running OK - then you have some time to figure this out. But time will eventually run out on you - find out what is wrong with the car and then you can plan on how to address the problem.

The worse thing you can do, right now, is just throw parts at the car - like 80% of the mechanics out there. Most will pull the code and say you need to replace this $300 or $500 part. If that doesn't work - you need to change this $300 or $500 part. If that doesn't fix it - you need to change X part for $X cost. All you have done is replace parts blindly hoping that one of them was actually defective. Most cases, I've seen people put in $500 to $2000 into a repair for a $10 part. Some cases, the car really did need all those parts - if the owner new that - they probably would have traded in the car for something else.

After a small, persistent oil drip in my daughter's 2000 Toyota Corolla, my husband traced the problem to the head gasket. We had it replaced and then the drip was much worse. Replaced the gasket again and it's back to a small drip. Now the check engine light is coming on but it had never come on before. Had AutoZone check it twice and both times it comes up as P1349. It does say BBVVT system-bank 1 but under that shows probable cause: BB1 - open or short circuit condition; BB2 - poor electrical connection. The "mechanic" thought it might be due to his disconnecting the battery but my husband cleaned and checked the battery connections and the light still comes on.

We were trying to save my daughter money by going to this mechanic who has been out of work. Now it's turning into a nightmare. We've spent $500 and seem to have worse problems than the original drip. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have made an appointment with a reputable mechanic for him to test and figure out the oil problem but he can't look at it until April 20th. The engine light coming on now seems like it must be related to the car just being worked on. Is there something electrical that would be fairly straightforward that my husband could check? Since we're still trying not to incur a huge debt for my daughter, going to the Toyota dealership sounds scary. My husband is a diesel mechanic and can do a lot but not the new computerized, impossible to get to stuff.

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Headgasket? Maybe you meant valve cover gasket? That is not too hard to replace - you do have to watch the torque on the bolts (there are built in stops, but can still be overtightened) and make sure you have the correct gasket (comes with o-rings). You also need to add a little dab of gasket maker or RTV right where the timing cover meets the cylinder head - or there is a good chance that the valve cover will leak.

P1349 has many possible culprits - you really need someone that has experience dealing with the VVTi system on this engine family. Most common issues are mechanical in nature, so you don't have to worry about playing around with wiring - but the hard part is finding out where to start.

With any trouble code - make sure you start with a clean slate. Write down the exact code, reset the ECM (reset through scanner or pulling the negative terminal off the battery). I would suggest either borrowing an OBD-II scanner or buying one outright. They are pretty inexpensive, considering that the usually diagnostic fee starts at $85 at a dealership - plus you can diagnose issues right on the spot instead of taking the car in to be scanned.

I'd check the simple stuff - since you already had the valve cover off - did you notice any heavy deposits, gum, varnish on the valvetrain? I'd try cleaning the VVTi oil control valve filter - it is right below the OCV, both are right below the valve cover, closest to the serpentine belt. 9/10 times - if this filter screen is clogged, you will get a P1349 code and the engine will sound "rough", lots of valvetrain chatter. After that - it involves more detailed, exhaustive diagnostic work - both mechanical and eventually electrical. Try and avoid swapping parts out to find out what part is "bad" - lots of mechanics like to do that because it saves them time, but also costs you more money to pay for their "guess". Might be time to find a more qualified mechanic or bite the bullet and take it to a dealership. Good Luck.

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Headgasket? Maybe you meant valve cover gasket? That is not too hard to replace - you do have to watch the torque on the bolts (there are built in stops, but can still be overtightened) and make sure you have the correct gasket (comes with o-rings). You also need to add a little dab of gasket maker or RTV right where the timing cover meets the cylinder head - or there is a good chance that the valve cover will leak.

P1349 has many possible culprits - you really need someone that has experience dealing with the VVTi system on this engine family. Most common issues are mechanical in nature, so you don't have to worry about playing around with wiring - but the hard part is finding out where to start.

With any trouble code - make sure you start with a clean slate. Write down the exact code, reset the ECM (reset through scanner or pulling the negative terminal off the battery). I would suggest either borrowing an OBD-II scanner or buying one outright. They are pretty inexpensive, considering that the usually diagnostic fee starts at $85 at a dealership - plus you can diagnose issues right on the spot instead of taking the car in to be scanned.

I'd check the simple stuff - since you already had the valve cover off - did you notice any heavy deposits, gum, varnish on the valvetrain? I'd try cleaning the VVTi oil control valve filter - it is right below the OCV, both are right below the valve cover, closest to the serpentine belt. 9/10 times - if this filter screen is clogged, you will get a P1349 code and the engine will sound "rough", lots of valvetrain chatter. After that - it involves more detailed, exhaustive diagnostic work - both mechanical and eventually electrical. Try and avoid swapping parts out to find out what part is "bad" - lots of mechanics like to do that because it saves them time, but also costs you more money to pay for their "guess". Might be time to find a more qualified mechanic or bite the bullet and take it to a dealership. Good Luck.

Thank you for your quick response. After all the discussion for about 2 weeks, I'm positive it was the head gasket but I'll check with my husband. It was hard to get to and he doesn't have the right tools. The valve cover would be right on top, right? That was not where the oil was coming from.

I will print out your response for my husband. My gut is telling me to not drive it and take it to the reputable mechanic this Monday. If I don't hear from you again, I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Correct, the valve cover is on top of the engine, underneath the plastic engine garnish.

It is quite unusual to get an oil leak from a blown headgasket, usually it involves coolant issues (water jacket is closest to the outside of the engine there, oil is usually pumped in from the bottom).

If it was the headgasket - you have to check both the cylinder head and block for warping - otherwise the problem will keep returning (spent all that money for nothing).

I forgot to ask, what's a good brand/model and price for an OBD-II scanner?

Most common brands that you are likely to run into are Actron and Innova. Both make decent scanners - many support multiple protocals (CAN, ISO, PWM, etc.) - which wasn't the case before. Pretty much any scanner you can find will work just fine.

Online vendors, autoparts stores and major retail outlets are good places to look. The basic scanners run around the $50-$60 price range (Actron PocketScan and Innova 3030), the more expensive models generally add additional features like I/M compliance testing and freeze frame/data logging capability. Those are not critical for everyone - but they are very helpful features that can help diagnose the issue at hand, if you can make use of them.

I picked up an Innova 3100 scanner some years ago - usually retails for $100-$130, I got it at Wal*Mart for about $65. Sears sometimes will put some decent sales on their test equipment too - just keep an eye out for them.

Topic List