Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By jims99, January 20, 2005

Hello Gang, took my trusty '99' Le Corolla for a jaunt and decided to gas it up at the local gas station when I found that the lever, located on the left front of the drivers seat, that operates the 'door' doesn't seem to work at all. Feels as if it's frozen.. (10 degrees F at the moment). I don't wish to break it so I'm looking for a way to bypass the latch on the cover door. My Lincoln has a manual pull cable in it's trunk but I can't find the equivalent cord in the trunk of the Corolla. Any ideas ? I'll be out of gas in the next 200 miles so I would like to solve this one if possible... Anyone? Jim R.

There is no other cable in the trunk or anything like that. I had a similar problem. My cable worked fine but the latch on the inside of the door got tweeked and it wouldn't open. I managed to finesse it open (you may have to use a small flat blade screwdriver or the like). When I got it open I bent the latch inside the door outward so that it made good contact with the black opening mechanism that is operated by the cable.

My Nissan Sentra has the same problem occasionally.

Thank you Silver Bullet for the information. I will wait a few days until things warm up a bit and then maybe I can find a way to 'air hose blow' the cable in case there's water or moisture in that cable from before. Then I will attempt to inject some silicon fluid at both ends of the cable to keep it free in the future. This sure is an interesting problem that I hadn't run into before this one. Thanks for the comeback, later, Jim R.

Hello gang, partially solved the problem by locating the cable which is behind the trunk covering just to the area next to the fuel door. I just pushed in and turned the cable assembly and it came right out, leaving the flap door open about 1/4 inch or so. I'll put up with that until the warmer weather comes and then blow out the old cable or install a new one... Do not try to force the door open except by removing the cable assembly... I think it would damage the door beyond repair.... Jim R.

Guest Corollasroyce

Thats wierd, this is the only time ive heard of this happening on a rolla...glad to hear you goter fixed.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)