Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

06 Corolla Starting Problem

by WayneGray99, November 14, 2015

I have an 06 Corolla. Yesterday, after driving about 30 miles, I parked the car. Five minutes later, I tried to start the car, and nothing happened. T hr dash lights came on but the relay didn't click. Several hours later, the car started ok, but when shut down a couple of minutes later, wouldn't restart. After sitting for a while, it will start, but when it is shut down, even only a couple of minutes later, it won't start. Anyone have any ideas. I haven't had an opportunity for any troubleshooting yet. Thanks.

When it starts, does it start well? ie, starter cranks strongly, or is it labored?

Could be a number of things:

- weak or bad battery, especially if the battery is approaching 5-7 years in age

- heavily corroded battery terminals, pretty common, if they look "fluffy" - they can cause all sorts of issues

- bad starter contacts, corrosion in this area is pretty common, ensure the terminals are clean and tight

- bad ignition switch, less common but can happen, more so if you hang a lot of weight from the ignition switch, can wear out the cylinder

- could be bad chassis grounds, can be intermittent like that - same as the starter contacts, make sure they are clean of corrosion and on tight

- remote possibility, bad ECM - there was a number of Corollas in this particular generation and model years that had a defective board in the ECM - would cause the car to be hard to start, some cases, cause the car to just die without warning. There was a recall that was released for those models, but some owners that were not on the original list also had similar issues - which were fixed on a case-by-case basis. Most of the models that were affected had the Delphi made ECM instead of the Denso made ECM. Your ECM is right below the glovebox, you might make out the model if you stuck your head down there with a flashlight.

Hit it with a 2x2 and hammer...if it start.. Then starter problem

How old is your battery? Remove the battery cables to sand their bores free of oxidation, and to clean your battery posts. You could also check your ground connections at the other end of the cable underneath battery, and on top of tranny, and the other ground cable from driver's side near strut tower to engine head. Remove the bolt from the eyelet at cable end to sand off any rust and paint, then reinstall.

I'd rather call local dealer in order to solve this issue. The list is on official toyota website or here, sorted by states italkaboutcars. com

Topic List