Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Intake Manifold Gasket Replaced, Now Runs Rough....

by Steves40th, March 19, 2015

Seems like a simple gasket to install.. Did I screw something else up?

UPDATe. I put new gasket in, and before starting I Ohmd the injectors. All were 14.8. Started engine, ran good for a couple minutes at best then started missing. I found that when I disconnected one injector, nothing changed. But the other three when disconnected the engine ran really rough. So, I think the injector is bad. Thoughts? The housing on a few were cracked.

I need to see what pulse/voltage goes to the injector. I doubt the feed to the injector is bad. Or if the injectors have one fuse per injector..

ps, I didnt mean to run this problem on to forums. But, it is turning out to be a good diagnostic thread.

A quick test without any addition equipment, could try swapping that suspect injector with one of the others that is working, to verify that the wiring to that suspect injector is good.

Sometimes when you switch them around like this, the faulty injector will automagically start working again - doesn't mean it is fixed, just gives you a bit more time to diagnose this.

Injectors can still work with little hairline cracks on them, depending on where the crack starts - it could indicate a brewing problem for that injector. Best to replace them at this point - as failure is potentially just around the corner. Since their inductance is pretty similar - you could be looking at an intermittent issue with the various codes you are getting and seemingly lean running condition.

No worries on turning to the forums - that why they exist. Most people will not see this sort of back-and-forth with their dealership or independent mechanic, unless that technician is willing to educate the owner.

I am going out of town for a few months. I figure since injectors Ohmd good, but when disconnected nothing changed I immediately went to bad injector. I will do another quick listen to it as it is going in storage here in the house while I travel. I honestly think it is bad, but you never know. I will get four good ones and replace them. I have never seen cracked injectors like this, even though it is the housing, you just cant expect the housing to protect or hold together the injector, as it has some formal function too.

Topic List