Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Uh Oh...

By jetphyxr, March 14, 2015

I got code 0301...long story short...'01 corolla, 183K, changed out plugs, coil packs , and all injectors. Engine running and I pull the plug wire on #1 cyl....no difference in RPM. Cyl's 2,3,and4, being pulled motor almost stops. Short of a compression test I think I have a dead motor. Comments welcome

Yup - from what you described, sounds like cylinder #1 is dead.

Could be from no fuel / no fire / bad compression on that cylinder. Given what you've done so far - unlikely you got a faulty replacement injector or coil pack on #1 - though I'd still double check that it isn't something simple. Like a wonky o-ring on the injector or damaged wiring to the coil pack igniter. Could try swapping injectors and coil igniters - just to see if it stays with that cylinder. Verify that you are getting signals for spark and fuel - use a noid light for the injector or listen to the tell-tale ticking noise with an automotive stethoscope. Verify spark by externally grounding out the plug on a chassis ground, and visually see if the spark is there.

Would have to do a compression test to confirm, if it is a dead cylinder = looking at engine rebuild or engine swap.

Car will actually still run a fair amount of time on 3 cylinders - not well - but can still limp around. There was a poster on here that drove an incredible number of miles in this situation. Just have to pull fuel from that cylinder to prevent it from hydrolocking on fuel / dump raw fuel into the exhaust. Least get you far enough down the road to a point where you can fix it or replace the car outright.

Thanks fish...did comp. test on all and 2,3&4 were pretty even...#1 did not even compress...0. I recently (6mos.) changed out all struts, sway arm bushings, all ball joints, axles, battery, and now all the ignition and injectors. I think I will find 2000-02 and start swapping parts over....

Topic List