Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Optima Battery

by Bull6791, October 13, 2014

Are red top battery worth their money. Do they last longer than normal batteries or not.

I was wondering if I paid more money and got a optima red top battery it would be better or last longer.

Should I just save the extra money and get an interstate battery

Thanks

Great battery, but not necessarily for lifespan. Extreme temperature range, vibration, odd mounting location, etc. - their spiral wound AGM, and completely sealed setup is pretty bulletproof for off-road and specialty situations. Power and reserve capacity is just comparable to your standard wet cell battery. I've actually gotten more life from a well maintained well cell than any AGM setup. Used to use Redtops all the time in my project car, as I needed something that could survive extreme vibration and be placed in an area that needs a sealed battery. But lifespan wise - I never got more than 4-5 years out of them.

Used to have a (72 month warranty) 36 month replacement then 36 month prorated warranty - now, they are just a 36 month replacement (36 month warranty). Optima battery company is part of Johnson Control Systems - same company that makes Interstate batteries.

Unless you need their ruggedness - save your money and by a regular battery.

Fish

Get the interstate battery it is good.

How long do batteries last 5 years.

Frank.

Give or take - ambient temperatures, how the battery is used (cycles), overcharged/undercharged, etc.

Fish

What is longest you ever got out of a battery.

I interstate battery any good. I heard it was.

Frank

Interstate is a pretty solid battery. Pretty much all the ones that you'll find are going to be made by Johnson Control Battery- that includes Interstate, Diehard, Optima, Exide, etc. I'm pretty sure we discussed this at length before.

As far as the longest lasting battery I had in a car, it was ~7 years, Gates battery (late 80s, early 90s). They don't make them any more - Johnson Control Battery Group bought up the Gates SLI group (they used to make the Optima batteries and Champion Gel batteries).

Worst battery I had - Diehard, lasted 2 years - got it replaced under warranty, the second one died after 8 months. That was the time you only got one replacement under warranty, then it was prorated at that point. Switched to Interstate after that - battery lasted about 5 years, until the car was totaled in an accident.

Ok so a battery pretty much last 5-6 years. Give or take.

Frank

Topic List