Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fram Ultra Filter

By Bull6791, September 18, 2014

Has any one tried the FRAM ULTRA FILTER with SYNTHETIC FIBER. I am hearing good things about this filter. Let me know what people think.

Frank

From what I've heard - supposed to be pretty good. I personally have not tried them - as I had bad luck with Fram some years ago on the Camry, so I haven't used any of their products on my imports. Interestingly, on older domestics that take the large PH8A filter - Fram is still considered one of the better ones - I still run them on my older Mopars.

I heard the FRAM ULTRA SYNTHETIC filter is supposed to be one of the best filters out there. On my next oil change I am going to try it out.

I heard it is pricy.

Don't know. Never tried that one. Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

Fish

Years ago when you used FRAM oil filters and 2 disappointing mishaps (media separated from can) how did you find it. You heard can rattling around when driving or you did not find it until you changed oil filter at oil change.

Your experience makes me leery of FRAM oil filters. Even though the ULTRA SYNTHETIC filter is really good I am still leery because of your experience with FRAM.

FRANK.

Yup - shake the filter, rattles like a ball in a tin can.

From what recently I've heard from FRAM - they've really improved QC, filter quality is much better than it used to be. But I've already been burned twice before - so I can't justify giving them any of my business. On larger filters - like the PH8A on older domestics - I'll still use FRAM branded filters. On their smaller filters - you'll never find them sitting on my shelves.

Thing with filters, can't always stick with one brand - could great one year, total crap the next. Even my current pinch brand of Purolators have recently gotten poor build reviews. Pulled one off that went full bypass early on from an stuck valve - didn't realize it until I changed the filter. Just like the FRAM one, it rattled when shook. Got Denso on it now - but if that drops the ball on quality, or WIX, NAPA Gold, or K&N. Never know - I might be a FRAM man again in 10 years time.

Fish

Is it something I would notice when driving or if filter separates would not notice it until I change oil.

What I am asking is how would I notice or know if same thing happens to me

Frank.

Exceptionally hard to tell with it on the car - if you do hear it there, chances are you are already in big trouble. I've only noticed it when I took the filter off the car.

Fish

I the grand scheme of things when your filter came a part what did it do to the car or nothing really.

You noticed the filter media separated from the can when you took oil filter off to do oil change.

My question is: you put the filter on brand new when you changed your oil. 8,000 miles later or so when you took filter off for next oil change and found it came apart , does that mean the filter did nothing. Meaning it did not filter anything in that span because it came apart.

Exactly - at some point, the filter collapsed internally and then went fully bypass. Meaning that engine oil entering the filter completely bypassed the filtering media - didn't get filtered at all.

Normally, not an issue, if you stick with a short change interval - but for extended oil changes, this could be disastrous. Doesn't mean that zero damage will be done with a shorter interval - depends on when this happened to the filter, how clean the engine is internally, engine health, motor oil capabilities, etc.

The real issue is not that it went into bypass - but what contaminate that "were" trapped, are now loose in the engine. Engine oil does a decent job of keeping small debris/contaminants suspended in solution, but eventually - it will have to be filtered out for oil to continue to do its job. The longer the contaminants are held - the less the oil is able to lubricate and protect. End result will look like a sludged engine.

Never have used Fram. I've always used Purolator PureONE oil filters with no issues.

Topic List