Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Used Oil Analysis

by Bull6791, August 27, 2014

Fish

The 05 corolla is what I am taking the oil sample of.

I ordered sampling kit. I was going to change my oil. Then at the end I was going to take sample container and dip it into used oil container to get sample. Why do they not want you to do it that way and rather get it as oil is draining put.

Fish should I also do TAN TEST

FRANK

Yeah, do not dip for the oil from the container. Even if you clean it really well, contaiminants will still get in there and cause your results to be skewed. Not hard to pull from the drain plug, just let the oil stream come out for a couple of seconds, slow a bit - then take your sample. You want to avoid grabbing the very first bit of oil draining out and the very last bit.

If you want to find out if the oil is protecting the oil correctly, you want to do a TBN or TAN test - both are checking the same thing, just reporting the number in a different way. Most shops recommend TBN, as that is a common way to compare lots of VOA (virgin oils analysis) - where people are interesting in the additive package in fresh oil. To do any extended motor oil study, TBN is a valid and popular measurement. TAN would be specfic to your particular car.

TAN is another test for finding out the percentage of acidic components in the oil. It is closely tied to TBN. Basically when TBN is high (brand new oil) - TAN will eb very low. As the oil is used, TBN will decline while TAN starts to rise. Depending on the conditions, TAN usually stays pretty low until TBN depletes to a 50-65% potection level, then TAN starts to increase. Eventually, TAN levels will be exceedingly high, usually coinciding when TBN drops to 30% or so.

More info here: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/read/2170/oil-drain-interval-tan-tbn

Fish

Ok so you do not have to do both test. They are telling you the same thing.

If I want to know if the oil is protecting my engine correctly the test to do is TBN OR TAN.

Since I only have to do one TBN or TAN not both I will probably do the one you do of the 2.

I think the one out of the 2 you do is TBN not TAN.

THANKS Frank.

Fish

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. Fish I know I am getting off topic but I have a question my owners manual says for oil change 3.9 quarts with filter. Does that mean with filter empty or fillers with oil

So my question is even filling new filter with oil when doing a oil change I still put in 3.9 quarts of oil because that's what manual says.

I though you put in less than what the manual says because you put some oil in mew filter.

Thanks. Frank

Definitely TBN is the most popular choice of the two. If you need to verify how this oil is running in your particular car compared to other owners out there, majority of the people that order UOA get the TBN measurement.

Almost correct. The capacity indicated in the manual is the TOTAL system capacity. If the manual says for example, 3.6 quarts without filter, 3.9 quarts with filter - you only really need to be concerned about the latter capacity, as most people change the filter when they change the oil. This means if you change the oil and oil filter - you are looking at 3.9 quarts of capacity. If you prefill the oil filter, take that amount into consideration - if it takes 0.3 quarts to prefill the filter, you pour in the remaining 3.5 quarts of oil into the crankcase. I'd go ahead and pour in the full 4 quarts of oil, will be a little over-full, but still safe - car won't care for 0.1 quart extra + whatever old oil is left in the crankcase..

Fish

Now besides filling new filter with oil to prime it do you yourself put some oil on the gasket of new filter. I know some people put some oil on the gasket of the new filter before they put it on. What do you do.

Thanks Frank.

Depends on the filter.

On many filters, the gasket is dry - put some oil on the gasket.

Some filters come pre-lubed. Those you have to peel off some protective plastic cover, o-ring come covered with white or clear o-ring lubricant. No need to put oil on those - just pre-fill, screw them on the car.

Fish

I did not know any oil filters come pre lubed. Probably the only filters I am going to use are Toyota OEM or Wix/Napa Gold. Maybe K&N filters.

Thanks Again Frank

Frank. Just take half a Quart of oil.

Put some in the filter. Put the rest of it in the engine. Now there is half of a Quart of oil in there. Right?

I tried explaining it before... If the oil filter is not pre-filled with oil, it still gets filled once the engine runs.Total engine oil capacity includes oil filter capacity. Engine oil is contained in the oil pan and in the oil filter. It doesn't matter how much oil it takes to fill the filter. Just put enough oil in the filter to fill it. It's all going in the same place.

Topic List