Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Bull6791, August 6, 2014

Fish

I have a 2011 Subaru Forester. I never seen this type of battery before. It is a flooded cell led acid battery. Which I do not know what that is.

The body of the battery is clear where you can see through it and see the electrolyte/water level.

The size is: 65D23L never saw a size like this

My question is: down the road when I need a battery what kind and size do I get.

A lot of websites after I put in 2011 Subaru Forester come up with Optima Red and Yellow top.

Fish do you buy a basic standard battery or do I need a special battery.

Fish if you could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Frank.

Your original Panasonic 65D23L is only rated at 420 CCA. There's nothing special about it besides the see-through case. All regular automotive batteries are of the flooded cell lead-acid type... You can easiliy upgrade your group 35 battery to about 550 CCA and with a good warranty, without going with a 720 CCA RedTop or 770 CCA YellowTop Optima AGM spiral cell battery. Where do you plan to get your new battery from?

dom pretty much hit it on the head - there is nothing special about a flooded lead acid battery, as this is the most common automotive batteries, including the ones in your Toyotas are the flooded type. These can be both maintenance free and maintenance type batteries. If the case is transparent or not is not important or an indication of purpose.

Some owners prefer AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat), drycell, gel type batteries, or exotics like LiPo and LiFePO4 - really depends on what you want to spend and what your requirements (ambient temperatures, frequency of driving, temperature extremes, etc.) are.

There are pros and cons with each type - up to you to find out which fits your needs the best. I've run flooded, gel, AGM, and dry cell batteries - none really stands above the rest, in terms of able to start the car and provide a reasonable amount of reserve power.

When its time to replace the battery - pick one that fits your budget, has the appropriate group number (physical size of the battery and terminal type), has atleast the same or more CCA than the battery it will replace, and warranty that you will be happiest with (some are prorated, some have replacement clauses).

Fish

I am probable going to get an interstate battery when time comes. Looks like my 05 corolla and wife's 2011 Subaru Forester take same size battery. Size 35. 65D23L must be Subarus own #.

Thanks Frank

Sounds like a plan - as mentioned by dom - most OEM group 35 batteries are in the 400-450CCA range, but you can find lots of aftermarket group 35 that are in the 500-550CCA+ range. Interstate is well known brand - made by Johnson Control. Huge battery company, they make or have a large part of the manufacturing of these brands and OEMs (as far as I know):

OEMS: Acura, Ford, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota/Subaru

Retail chains and private labels: Interstate, Diehard, Duralast, Everstart, ProStart, Kirkland, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Varta, Bosch, Champion, Optima Batteries

Fish

Is the battery for the 2011 Subaru forester size 35. The only size it says in manual is 65D23L

Frank

dom already got you that information - group 35 would be the closest fit.

Reason you are likely having a hard time find the exact battery size is that the Subaru part number is following the JIS specs (Japanese Industrial Standard) while cars sold here follow the BCI specs (Battery Council International). Same basic battery, just two measurement/sizing standards. The thing to keep in mind is the "size" of the battery posts. Not sure if it is still the case, but older JIS specs had posts that were smaller than the SAE posts. Should not be an issue with import cars, as they use a different style of terminal clamp, can tighten down further than older solid lead clamps designed for a conical shaped SAE post.

Here is some common cross-references for JIS-to-BCI conversions from a quick web search: http://www.chadspictures.com/automotive/How-To-Change-Replace-Toyota-4Runner-Battery/Toyota-Battery-JIS-To-BCI-Cross-Reference-Chart.html

Dom

Where did you get the info for the original battery. The size is 65D23l. I try to look it up on Google and get nothing. I agree it is Panasonic with 420 cca. I just wanted to know where that info came from.

Thanks Frank

Might try the forester forums - lots of people are asking the exact same question as you are. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/2012-forester-oe-battery-n-models-110695/

From the description - 65D23L is a JIS size 23L, the number 65 "supposed" to indicate the Ah rating (steady state transfer). But many on the Forester forums are seeing 48 Ah to 52 Ah as the apparent power (equivalent to a 400-450CCA sized battery)

I like AGM batteries, less chance of corroded terminals, no leaking, causing rust under the hood and acid on your hands and holes in your clothes.

Personaly, I will never buy another flooded lead/acid battery. I Think an AGM is well worth the extra money.

I always fully charge them with an AGM-specific charger before installing.

Topic List