Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Do You Test A Vacuum Switching Valve?

by autotech2612, July 26, 2014

I've heard I can use a 9-volt battery to do this. I'm referencing the switching valve at the canister. Does anyone know if that's true and what the steps are to testing?

Yep, you can use a 9-volt battery. What is the name of those wires that go between the battery and the VSV? I don't have those. Or can I just use basic wire instead?

The yellow alligator clip wires? Use whatever wires you can get... Wires are wires. They just conduct electricity.

Okay, I tested the old one, no clicking sounds. I tested the new one, I do hear a clicking sound (barely audible). My CEL is back on with the same codes: 0440, 0441 and 0446. What's the viable next step? An entire new canister?

Does my 2002 have an early or late design EVAP system?

May not be the canister or VSV valve - could be any of the hoses/valve on the top of the tank. That was my case when I ran into those EVAP codes. Everybody wanted to swap VSV, replace the vapor canister, change gas cap, new ECM, etc. - minimum cost to repair and diagnose was $600. Only after I pushed for a smoke test did they find it was a $30 cutoff valve at the top of the tank. Labor would have made this a $300+ job - but the tech was kind enough to give me the exact part number and a exploded diagram of where the part was located - was able to do it myself over the weekend. No more CEL for a couple of years. Now its back and I suspect it is one of the other hoses at the top - as they were pretty rough shape when I replaced the cutoff valve and I'm kicking myself now for not taking care of them back then.

There are some diagnostic procedures on my photobucket account - link is in my sig, if you want to try those steps to diagnose the EVAP system.

I see the procedures, but ultimately, like you did, I'm going to have to drop the tank. Living in Michigan, I don't know how bad the bolts are rusted. If they're too bad, I'll just live with the issue. I did go through all the hoses, the ones I can access, and some are hard. I think a lot of them should be replaced, but where do I find replacement hoses? Even the metal clamps are so rusted, that when I squeezed them, they fell apart.

Yeah, I ended up replacing a fair number of hoses as well. Northern VA gets some snow, but since i travel to Ohio to visit family often and hit lots of marine stops in NC, NY, NJ, etc. for work - my clamps and brackets are all rusted completely out. Hoses dry rot and slip off the valves. I tried using zip ties, but those loosen over time. Even the old trick of vasoline or even Cosmoline on the fittings don't really hold up (Cosmoline will stop the rust but soften the rubber hoses).

I found my replacement hoses at a small engine repair shop - autoparts stores had the right ID but the wrong OD. McMaster is another source that I sometimes use, for hard to find parts or something that has to have a specific dimension.

Topic List