Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Seatbelt Buckles Broke On Both Sides. How To Fix?

By Bad_dude, July 21, 2014

Bad_dude

Hi everyone,

My old 1999 Corolla VE seatbelt buckles on both sides won't click to latch the belts on. It could be press down but won't latch to hold on the belts. Anyone knows how to fix these? It's a safety issue and we can't afford to take it to the dealer. Where could I find the new buckles for cheap? How do I replace the buckles. I wonder since it's a safety item, if the warranty on them is lifetime?

Thanks.

Try spraying WD-40 or other penetrating oil in the slot, then work it free and wipe off any excess.

Bad_dude

Tried that and still not working. Do you think something is broken inside?

Keep trying... Is there normal spring tension in the release button?

Bad_dude

There's spring tension not sure it's normal. My wife drives the car. But there's spring tension for sure. But the red release button seem to go down as the belt is press in, thus the belt won't latch on. So I am thinking the spring on the red button is either weak or broken. I spray lots of WD40 in there and press up and down to try to free things up. I guess it's time to replace. Wonder if seat belts has lifetime warranty?

Bad_dude

I think Honda and Nissan have lifetime on their safety items like seat belts. But no other manufacturers offer this.

So both driver's and passenger's side use the same buckle and part number?

I see 73240, 230-02020-B0 LH-- I guess this one is for the driver's side?

Thanks.

Toyota part # 73230-02020-B0 (charcoal) is for both LH and RH (driver or front passenger) seatbelt buckle.

Check the bottom of the bucle for debris buildup. May not allow the tang to go far enough to latch. Compressed air usually will blow the buckle out.

Bad_dude

Check the bottom of the bucle for debris buildup. May not allow the tang to go far enough to latch. Compressed air usually will blow the buckle out.

I will try that before ordering.

go to the wreckers and pull good ones and install them

Bad_dude

Does any one knows what size the bolts to remove the seats and the bolt for the seatbelt buckle?

Thanks.

Bad_dude

Do I need to take the seats out to get at the nut that hold the seat belt buckles? Or could I just remove the center console and get at it? What is the size of the nut?

I never tried to just remove the center console to get at those seatbelt buckles - I usually pull the chairs for some reason or another. I think the nut is either a 12mm or 14mm - though I can't remember off the top of my head.

Bad_dude

I found this video and I think we could remove just the center console with only two bolts.

Bad_dude

Replaced both buckles, didn't have to take the seats out at all and it was really simple. I practice at the junkyard pulling the buckles.

Nice! Did you have to pull the center console, or was there enough room to pull the buckles out without touching anything else?

Bad_dude

I pulled the center console that houses the e-brake. Two screws and two bolts. Slide the console back and lift from the rear. Then remove the single screw holding the buckle plastic cover. Then the single 14mm bolt holding the buckle on. Easily reached without removing the seats. But removing seats would be good if you want to vacuum the bottom of the seats. The console was full of dirt and other stuffs falling down there. Horribly dirty.

I removed the center console (2 bolts, 2 screws) on a 2001 Corolla. This gave me plenty of room to remove the plastic cover (1 screw) and change out the buckle.

Didn't see previous post until after I posted. Apologies for the redundancy.

Replaced both buckles, didn't have to take the seats out at all and it was really simple. I practice at the junkyard pulling the buckles.

How much did your junkyard belt buckles cost?

Topic List