Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

05 Corolla Oem Oil Filter Wrench

By Bull6791, July 14, 2014

The OEM oil filter for my 05 corolla (the Denso oil filter ) takes the Toyo 640 oil filter wrench.

I wanted to know what store carries that wrench or do I have to order it off the internet.

Thanks

Frank

Pretty much have to order that wrench - haven't seen any sold in retail stores. Stores will only carry the cam jaw type, band type, and the 65/67mm flute cup types of wrenches.

Fish

Now from what I know the toyo 640 oil filter wrench is the correct wrench to use on Denso OEM oil filter for the 05 corolla and 07 Camry.

Also what does the field service manual say to use to take off filter.

What do Toyota mechanics at dealership use I was just curious.

Thanks Frank

Toyota FSM points to a SST 09228-06500-02 or SST 09228-06501 (SST = Special Service Tool) that is part of the Toyota dealership's kit. As for mechanics - they generally use whatever they have The TOY 640 is popular because it fits the cartridge filter housing perfectly - also costs a lot less than the Toyota SST (~$100 vs ~$15). They look very similar - differences are the SST is heavy stamped steel, has a cutout to allow any trapped oil to flow out and has a welded nut that fits their T-wrench. The TOY 640 is cast aluminum, has a cast nut on the end, and no cutout. I've also used FLOTOOL high density graphite ones (considered a high end one) - but first time I used it on the Rav4 - cracked the side of the tool! Used the TOY 640 - no problems so far. Worst issue is the clearance is so snug - sometimes it is tough to pop out the filter. Some filters - don't seem to fit either, so it might be a good idea to bring the tool along to see if it will fit the filter you plan on buying.

SST 09228-06500-02

http://priuschat.com/attachments/img_0958-jpg.28237/

http://priuschat.com/attachments/img_0959-jpg.28238/

TOY 640 (sitting on cartridge filter housing)

Fish

I thought the toyo 640 was the right wrench for 05 corolla and 07 Camry OEM oul filter.

Since you use the toyo 640 wrench and like it I will get one.

I have a rite fit cup wrench the fits my 05 corolla from Pep boys it's kind of like a universal cup wrench. How is this wrench vs toyo 640 wrench.

Thanks. Frank

Depends on how you define as "right" - right as it will fit and work, or as in the OEM tool. If the former - TOY will work just fine. If you meant the latter - then the SST is the "right" tool for the job.

I have the cartridge filter - so that is why I got it. It just happens to fit the Denso filters that I use as well - so one less tool for me. I have a hard time justifying spending $100 for a wrench, if I can get the same job done with a $15 TOY 640.

Your cars use spin on filters - so as long as the filter uses the same number of flutes and size as the OEM filter - TOY 640 will work.

The universal "cup" types will work with most filters. Some cases, the cup can be distorted and you'll get the tool to slip on removing the filter. This is especially true if you had the car's oil serviced at a quick lube place. Some techs, just ram that filter on there - I've gotten some so bad that the TOY 640 tool twisted the case but didn't free the filter.

The quality of the Assenmacher TOY 640 is light years ahead of the universal cups variants. Thick cast aluminum, pretty hefty sized nut on the other side, won't strip out. On some of the cup variants - they are cheap for a reason. On all mine, the spot weld that holds the 3/8" wrench opening always breaks free - making the tool worthless.

The ones that broke looked like these:

The top one - there are little spot welds that hold that 3/8" wrench plate - if that breaks free, tool turns into a paperweight. The bottom one, similar design, but uses an external nut like the TOY 640 - little tougher than the 65/67 universal cup - but still uses a spot weld to hold on the nut and sleeve. If that breaks free - the nut free spins or falls off. Again tool becomes useless.

So far - if I added up the costs of the broken wrenches - I could have bought two of the TOY 640 wrenches. The one you have will work for now - until the welds snap off - that case, you'll have to make a run to the parts store. The TOY 640 being a single cast piece - if you snapped or broke that one, that filter is not likely going to come off.

Topic List