Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Problem Finding Oem Vac. Switch Valve On 02

by autotech2612, July 14, 2014

Photos of the VSV removed from my 02 Corolla at the charcoal canister. Part number is 90080-91186. I would like to use a genuine Denso replacement, but I am having trouble finding one. When I put this part number into eBay, it came up with Dorman brand and it doesn't look exactly like the part I have.

On eBay, when searching under "corolla vacuum switch valve", the closest-looking one I found was this, but it's also used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-TOYOTA-COROLLA-OEM-EGR-VACUUM-SWITCH-VALVE-VSV-90910-12211-/151069751188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232c757794

Has this part number changed? I know this is a common issue, so where have others purchased this?

Thank you for the links, Dom. I'm surprised the Standard Motor Products VSV is more expensive than the Denso on eBay. The Airtex is less expensive, but with shipping, it's only a few bucks less than the Denso. Did your VSV also get replaced?

Glad it's not hard to get to. Only took me a couple minutes to remove it, even though it was rusted.

Just ordered the part from the eBay link you provided. Should arrive by Friday. I'll post an update.

Mine is still all original... Never had a problem, and I always fill right up to the gas cap. It takes up to 15 US gallons to fill, and I can go up to 150 miles before fuel gauge is down to the Full mark.

I'm sure living in a salt state has a lot to do with it. I will upload some photos when done.

I didn't know the Corolla had such a large reserve capacity in the tank.

I get at least 60 miles out of the reserve... I use ALL of my fuel tank and get about 500 miles out of it on 91 pump octane (95 RON) ethanol-free gasoline, mostly city driving..

Wow. I fill mine up when that low fuel light comes on. I noticed my fuel gauge fluctuates when going on curves, which is to be expected, but mine seems to fluctuate more than I'm used to. I get about 410 miles when that light comes on and I end up putting in just over ten gallons. My driving is mostly highway. Can I ask why you use all the fuel?

I do it to get maximum range on a tank, and fuel up less often.

No condensation accumulation, and my gas is always all new.

I've never heard of that. My concern is this: you already know our cars don't have fuel filters, but we have a fuel "sock" in the tank.

My last car had this set-up. It was a '99 Metro 1.0 throttle body injection (one injector).

I routinely drove the car until I thought I had nearly used up my reserve capacity. One day my fuel injector went out. I started wondering if it was caused by sediment at the bottom of the tank. I wish cars had fuel filters again. The newer cars.

On this tank, I drove 455.6 miles. MPG is 41.4. I'm assuming you're in the 43-44 mpg territory?

I've been using the site fuelly.com. Kind of cool to keep track of fill-ups and challenge myself to beat previous records.

Of course, as you probably know, I drive an embarrassingly slow 55mph on the highway.

Unless you fill up at gas stations that don't see much turnover in gasoline or use gasoline of questionable quality - the likelyhood of sucking in sediment and junk in the bottom of the tank is pretty remote. Still possible - but lot harder than say 20 years ago.

The pump is cooled by fuel - so you definitely want to keep in immersed to prolong its lifespan. But running it down from time to time, won't hurt at all. Some actually recommend driving the car until it dies - just to see how much reserve fuel capacity you actually have. The 8th gen seem to be very generous on the reserve capacity (nearly 100 miles range when cruising) - but something like my 2nd gen Matrix - you might only have a dozen or two miles left once the low fuel light comes on.

Myself - I try and keep the fuel no lower than 1/4 tank - reason why? I'm getting pretty forgetful these days + with traffic as crazy as it is - I might need that extra capacity so I won't get stranded someplace, or if I need to run out to one of the satellite offices ASAP.

The VSV arrived today, a day earlier than expected. Installed. Can't really see it in the photo. My finger is pointing at a small hose that connects into a larger hose. That small hose easily came off after during VSV replacement. Or maybe it was disconnected the entire time.

Good idea, Fish. One thing I should remember right now as far as not letting my tank get too low: It's road construction season, and it's not unusual for my 15-minute highway drive to downtown Grand Rapids to take 45 minutes or longer (happened yesterday). Worse when an accident is before the construction zone during rush-hour traffic. Happens more often than one may think.

I'll never know exactly why that injector failed, but that's always in the back of my mind when I think about the demise of fuel filters on vehicles nowadays. I'm assuming automakers did away with fuel filters due to refinements in fuel.

Thank you Dom and Fish. You two are a big help.

UPDATE: After five drive cycles (last photo is after the fifth cycle), the CEL has not come on while driving. I think it may be worthwhile to eventually buy a OBDII scanner. There are some good deals at Harbor Freight, but I question the quality.

Topic List