Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Changing Black Clips On Engine Cover To Bolts

by Bull6791, July 8, 2014

Fish

On the 05 corolla I want to change the 2 black clips to bolts.

I heard you could the same nut caps and studs that are on the front or you could use 2 M6 x 1 bolts.

Any help would be great.

Frank

You can use the nutcaps and studs - as that will match the "look" of the rest of them - but the trick is to prevent them from coming apart. Not a deal-breaker, just annoying. You won't have that issue with bolts, but they will be visually quite different - look like a quick fix sort of thing. Not 100% sure on the size - can always grab one of the nutcaps and run them on those test studs in the hardware section of the autoparts store / Home Depot / Lowes, etc.

I've broken those clips so many times - I now just run my car without the plastic engine cover. I've got bits of broken clips in the threaded holes, but haven't taken the time to dig those bits out and run replacement bolts through. Drawback is that the engine gets more dirt on it - visually looks bad, but doesn't hurt anything from a operational standpoint.

You don't need to replace the back clips. The two front nuts are sufficient to secure the engine cover.

Topic List