Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front Speakers

By echarleswhyte, July 3, 2014

I will try to make this short. few months ago I got some 6.5" speakers for free. (brand new). While I never really had intentions of upgrading my speakers I now had two free ones. The brand is Scosche so I bought the same ones in 6x9. then I found out I need to buy adapters which are more expensive then the speakers I bought and certainly more than the free ones. So I set out to do this as cheap as possible. I bought a few odds and ends but everything else was what I already have. The rears will be easier I just have to "fabricate" some adapters out of some plywood I have sitting around. I don't like to cut or drill as I don't want to risk any rust to set in so I watched many videos and one I saw was done similar to what I did but I think my result is better ;-).

I you don't know how to take door panel off there are many videos on youtube

here is the stock one (if you don't already know)

cut around the speaker and this is what you have

remove the rest of the membrane from the small ledge

remove the connector

three of these things to cut (very easy)

depending on how much of a stickler you are you can file or sand down the remaining nubs

to many images to load so here is the rest.

I re-used the connectors. after twisting the ends together I used a small amount of tape to hold together and then sealed with a shrink tube

speakers fit right in and can be attached to the ledge the old membrane was attached to

Nice! Great way to repurpose those OEM speaker basket and wiring harness. Interesting that the 9th gen went with plastic basket material for the speaker - I guess it was for lightweight and moisture resistance. On the 8th gens, the basket was sheet metal, but had an uncoated paper "whizzer" cone type speaker.

not sure why the plastic. maybe as you mentioned moisture, weight and I would add cost to that. It made it very easy to cut and shape though. I am a bit anal about not messing with success. if it aint broke don't fix type of thing. I did not feel the need to drill out the basket and all that trouble. it keeps it "oem" but sounds better. It took me a couple minutes before I cut out the first speaker but once I did there was no stopping me. I will be working on the rears but they will be a lot easier to do I just have to take the time to make myself some adapters. I want them to look good not crappy even though they can't be seen.

Topic List