Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By vern0822, June 10, 2014

I own a 1999 Corolla VE 3 sp auto and just replaced the evap canister. I HAD codes of P0441, & P0446 so I bought a brand new Toyota evap canister and had it professionally replace. On my way home from the dealership that replaced the evap canister the check engine light came on. Turned around and went back to the Toyota dealership and they checked the code reading and now it says P0441. I did NOT pay for any type of diagnostic test (disabled with very limited funds), but to find out what "might be" the cause the service advisor recommend that I spend the $112 for a diagnostic test and see what it says. Besides the check engine light on because of the code (P0441), the car DOES stall out at low RPM's.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Vern

I understand your frustration as I recently had a similar problem. The canister I bought came with all new valves and whatnot and it fixed the problem. If the one you got is the same then as dom mentioned, it's probably a hose leaking. Before changing the canister the dealership should have checked all the hoses because that's a much cheaper fix than switching out the canister. What's worrisome is that you're getting the same code, which means the canister may have been changed for nothing. If you were getting a different error code, then changing the canister probably fixed one problem and exposed another.

I am taking the car to the dealership today for the $112 diagnostic test the hopefully will pin point the exact problem that will not coast an arm, and leg to repair. I will post an update late this afternoon when I return for the dealership. I just hope whatever the problem is that is cheap if there is such a thing when it comes to having your car professional service. I guess the good news is I already replaced the evap canster. The car has 150k on it and I'm sure the canister needed to be replace since the P0446 code no longer shows up.

In my particular case - my EVAP related codes were not related to the canister at all - ended up being a cutoff valve at the top of the tank. Unfortunately, even with the more detailed OBD-II diagnostics - there are too many possible causes for those particular EVAP codes to say with any certainty that is a failure in part X.

I bit the bullet and got a EVAP smoke check - best $85 I've ever spent. Every diagnostic up to that point was pointing at the vapor canister, a number of vacuum lines, and the VSVs. If I replaced them all - it would have made a $700+ dent in my wallet. Got the smoke check - ended up being the cutoff valve on the top of the tank - a $30 part. Labor would have run me over $400 to replace it - but the service guy was able to print out an exploded diagram of the component location - I was able to do it myself on the weekend in a couple of hours.

In my signature link - there is a EVAP troubleshooting list. As EVAP related codes are pretty common on the 8th gen and there is no one single solution, best to thoroughly diagnose each part to try and eliminate the possible culprits.

I took the car back to the dealership and sure enough,---...it was a sensor so now that the sensor had been replaced the car is back to normal and the check engine light is off.

Thanks for the comments.

What are you calling "a sensor"? Do you have any information on the work order? What exactly was replaced? Do you have a part number?

Topic List